Disguise

Disguise

A Story by Eliot Knight
"

Must we step into one's shoes to understand them?

"

                                                      

     Disguise


            A magician's best trick is making you believe that magic exists.

            A kid sitting in the crowd awes at the bunny pulled out of a hat, the hat was empty a moment ago, he even turned it over! There must be something the magician knows that he doesn't.

            A teenager is no longer amused by a cheap trick, the bunny was in his sleeve the entire time. He sits in the crowd anyway, after all, if everyone else is watching, there must be something worth seeing. He awes at the disappearance of the magician. It is truly magnificent.

            A young adult is amused by the kids still amazed at the disappearing act. If only they knew about the trapdoor underneath the stage. These tricks are getting old. They are still good for passing the time though.

            An adult walks out of the room and into the hallway. There is no longer anything left for him in there. He has better things to do.

            A middle aged man walks into an empty room one day. He remembers the bunny in the hat, the disappearing magician, he remembers the moment he walked out. He wonders if the magician ever meant to entertain the crowd. He walks up to the stage and waits for the seats to fill in.

            A kid sitting in the crowd awes at the bunny he pulls out of a hat. 

© 2015 Eliot Knight


Author's Note

Eliot Knight
I would like to know what you feel after reading, what are your thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I actually think I know why the man became a magician. I used to want to grow up to be one, my parents would by me magician kits. I liked seeing that awe expression in my classmates faces.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

It's not really about a magician but alright :3
Nice progression. It always sucked when the magician didn't pick me. I think he knew I'd give the secret away. Damn! Anyway, thanks for the words man. great

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

It's an allegory lol thanks for the review
This is brilliant! i think it is great that the man was the magician, but only revealed near the poem's end. Somehow, got me to think... Nicely done, 100 points :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

The man is not the magician, he only grows up to take the magician's post. thanks for the review
Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

Well...should have read more carefully...sorry. You're welcome :)
This is the essence of a perfect circular story, Rudyard Kipling would be proud.

2 minor notes:
- "He wonders if the magician ever meant to entertain the crowd." What other motivation would there be? It puts the reader in doubt as to the motivation of the eventual revealed protagonist, which is never truly answered. Without an answer it leaves a bleak feeling to a wonderful observation. Intended?
- "awes at the bunny" 'awes' is very, very rarely used; it's completely correct but many people might think it is an error.

To answer your author's note, my feeling after reading this is bittersweet. The beautiful melancholy of the cycle of life fills my thoughts.

- Christopher Robin

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 22, 2015
Last Updated on July 25, 2015
Tags: Fiction, Fear, Analogy, Life

Author

Eliot Knight
Eliot Knight

Riyadh , Saudi Arabia



About
In progress... more..

Writing
Nana Nana

A Story by Eliot Knight


Night Night

A Story by Eliot Knight