Mary

Mary

A Story by Elizabeth Rose Diaz
"

Just playing around with description

"

At the age of five Mary was old enough to know not to play in her good clothes and knew she would be in trouble once her mother saw her. But the rainstorm puddles looked fun and inviting; and her imaginary friends beckoned her to play. With little regard to her clothing, she jumped in, feeling the cold water flood her leather shoes. She took in a sharp breath but continued to probe the puddle with her feet, feeling the earth suck at her soles. “Oh!” she squealed, noticing a giant  worm wiggling at the puddle’s edge. She crouched down to get a better look, paying little attention to her dress frills being soiled. She stuck out her index finger and curiously poked the worm, feeling its cool squishiness. She yelped. It writhed deeper into the earth becoming hidden beneath the pool of dirty water. Excitedly, she scanned the puddle looking for more friends, seeing baby worms squirm out of the earth. She giggled at their presence while poking their bodies as they disappeared into the muck. Drying her hands in the skirt of her soft yellow dress she galloped through the water, pretending she was a horse, shaking her mane and neighing. When her mother found her she was kneeling in the mud making “chocolate ice cream” with a tree branch at hand while conversing with her imaginary friends.

Mary heard her mother’s footsteps behind her and knew she was in for it.

“Mary!” her mother yelled, “What are you doing in your dress?!”

Mary jumped up and turned to face her mother, mouth agape. “I--I made you ice cream.” She was hopeful her display would ease her mother’s disapproval. She held out her arm and offered a child-size handful of muddy earth, carefully mixed with small leaves and pebbles.

“You ruined your dress. Look at it!”

Mary dropped the mud at her side and looked down at her dress. Her once white shoes were caked in mud with the frills of her dress smattered with brown that ran down her legs. Small handprints could be made out amongst the ruffles. The sight was shocking. Mary’s only defense was to look as equally surprised. “I didn’t realize mommy! Oh, I’m so sorry. Will it come out?”

Mary’s mom was charged with disgust. “What are you going to wear to church now?! Not another dress! I won’t have you ruining another dress! Really Mary, now you’re going to make us late! Get inside, take off your clothes and tell your daddy you deserve a good spanking. You’re going to confession today because you’ve been truly unruly. God help me!”

Mary eyes began to well with tears and her small chin twitched. “But I didn’t mean to momm--”

Mary’s mom pointed to the house and commanded, “Go!”

Mary’s shoulders hunched forward, head dipped into her chest while sauntering up the porch steps.

“We don’t have all day!” called her mother.


Sitting in the back seat of the car Mary fidgeted in her cousin’s hand-me-down wool dress that looked austere and ugly. It itched everywhere but the more Mary complained the more her mother ignored her.

Looking out the window she saw a mass of people walking up the road, half clothed with frightful faces, some crying out, some silent. They all seemed to be in shock. Mary started to cry. The car stopped. Mary’s dad poked his head out the window and yelled to the passersbys, “ Hey! Hey! What happened?” Some gave him a passing glance but noone said anything.

Mary’s father kept his head out the window as he drove, trying to see ahead. But it was Mary’s mother that saw it first, gasping and covering her throat with her hands.

Overlooking the town on the highest hill they could see it completely leveled: trees, buildings, people, were gone. The ocean tide had come in and unearthed everything, washing it and everyone out to sea. The road ahead had become saturated with debris, all clumped together in a big mass, making the road impassable. Though much abated, the water level was still unusually high.

In the distance, the brick base of the church could be seen amongst the rubble. It was where morning mass had been held; it was where they should have been.

© 2013 Elizabeth Rose Diaz


Author's Note

Elizabeth Rose Diaz
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cool are you you going to write more on it?

Posted 11 Years Ago


very well written

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 29, 2013
Last Updated on January 29, 2013
Tags: earth, water, life, death, god, child, Mary