Our Lullaby

Our Lullaby

A Story by Elizabeth Thief

I don't remember much about my mother. I was young when she went away, stolen from us forever.

 

I remember her eyes: blue like mine. And her voice. I remember her voice perfectly. Dad says she was a singer and a beautiful one. Her voice sounded like bells when she laughed. When she sang, it was the most perfect thing ever.

 

Before she died, she always sang to me at night. A lullaby she made just for me. She's been gone for over ten years, but I still remember that lullaby and her voice singing it.

 

I hum it to myself every night, dreaming of mom's blue eyes and our lullaby.

© 2008 Elizabeth Thief


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Of course, I like this a lot. The only part that bugs me a little bit is the part that says 'When she sang, it was the most perfect thing ever.' I just don't like how it flows, but I still like the concept. I just think you should rethink how to put that sentence. Otherwise I really liked this. I agree with some of the other reviews - the simplicity of the whole thing is beautiful, and very touching.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Of course, I like this a lot. The only part that bugs me a little bit is the part that says 'When she sang, it was the most perfect thing ever.' I just don't like how it flows, but I still like the concept. I just think you should rethink how to put that sentence. Otherwise I really liked this. I agree with some of the other reviews - the simplicity of the whole thing is beautiful, and very touching.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

May I have your permission to attempt to re-work this too-short story into a poem? I see "Blue like Mine" as a recurrent theme: her eyes, her best dress, her mood when she sang, her father's mood when she died....

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very beautiful and touching scene. It's such a peaceful yet sad story.
To me it felt like you used their blue eyes as a connection between her and her mother - I loved this very simple description of the two because I could picture these soft loving caring eyes of a mother. The last line was perfect ending to the story.
I also loved the fact that the story was so simple, yet so full of emotion... that you didn't waste words elaborating it into something bigger. The simplicity of it is what really got me.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's extremely heartbreaking. By writing this vivid piece - you are letting us all into your soul. It's beautiful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very emotional and touching piece. I really liked reading it, it shows your emotions well.

Kay.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a very beautiful piece I think. Remembering your mother in such a beautiful
and such a soft sort of way. The piece was so peaceful to read yet a little
sad to because you lost your mother so young.

I really enjoyed reading this.

Tina

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2008

Author

Elizabeth Thief
Elizabeth Thief

Ireland



About
Hi!! I'm Elizabeth (Eliza works just fine too, but please not Beth. Ugh) I'm 15 and I am who I am. I'm slightly crazy and weird and wild but that's who I am (ok, maybe a little more than slightly ;D)... more..

Writing