DO YOU ?

DO YOU ?

A Poem by Ellen Hammond


DO YOU ?

 

This world seems cold, full of evil and hate;
Causing us to tremble.....ponder our fate.
Many look around for someone to blame,
Listen to the news, searching for a name.

Here's a novel thought, you'll not like to hear.
Turn off that TV!.....Now look in the mirror.
"Who me?  Well I never!" you start to say.
"How could I lead the whole world astray?"

These questions, for all of us, not just you.
Look closer at the things you fail to do.
Do you let love flow out to all you meet?
Are you rich, knowing some have bugs to eat?

 

 

Do you always use your God-given brain?
Think for yourself...even on the 'soul train'?
Do you speak out, when injustice you see?
Or hunch your shoulders, "It's not up to me!"

Do you stand and leave, or stay in the pew,
When you see it's fear and hatred they spew?
Do you simply accept what  others say?
Blame all our ills on those who are gay?

Down through the ages with religious zeal,
Others, judged 'n condemned, with no appeal.
Who'll become the next victims of this age?
Ridiculed...scorned...downtrodden by rage.

 


Minorities, oft the scapegoats of choice,
Ignorance and fear grant evil a voice.
That voice, from a pulpit, stirs up a crowd,
Making them think such judging is allowed.

History attests to these shameful truths,
In witch-hunts 'n wars, we slaughter our youths. 
When you point a finger.....try it.....it's true,
There's always three pointing right back at you.

Don't sit there quiet, get down on your knees,
Your silence implies....with them you agree.
Casting stones, as tossed boomerangs, my friend,
Will find their way back to you, in the end.

 


(c)Ellen Hammond


© 2009 Ellen Hammond


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ICE
This was very deep! The scary part about this piece is that its so true.

"Look closer at the things you fail to do.
Do you let love flow out to all you meet?
Are you rich, knowing some have bugs to eat?"

"Ignorance and fear grant evil a voice.
That voice, from a pulpit, stirs up a crowd,
Making. them think such judging is allowed."

You hit some very pressing issues in our society...I just want to thank you for writing this!



Posted 14 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A thought provoking piece...A wonderfully written poem with a great message...i love the ending...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"All evil needs
Is a single person
To stand still and do nothing
Allowing for its spread throughout the land."

Sadly, i know first hand, the power of ignorance and hate has, upon the human race. Your poetic rant speaks with the power of truth and honour, in its message. Thank you, for sharing this very powerful and wise poem with us.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Applaud, Applaud!!!

Now that's what I call Truth in RANT!


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You're preaching to the choir, here, Ellen. I feel exactly the same way you do about these things. Too many of us are like farm animals who believe whatever we're told without question. I guess it's just too hard to do our own thinking.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Okay I don't mean to come across as a jerk but the only problem I had with your poem was that Bush didn't get hit. Otherwise i love you poem and the meaning behind it. This type of poetry should be heard, read and sung on a national stage. This poem is for everybody! Standing "O".

Posted 14 Years Ago


How deep in thought and true! You wrote a brilliant call to "arms." We need to open our minds and arms to the ills of this world. Until we see and embrace them as our doing, they cannnot be cured. You speak from a warm spirited heart, stirring the emotions. But you use wise reasoning while doing so. A gifted orator you would be. Your gifted pen served you well on this great piece! I cannot pick out just one portion to say is my favorite. It all spoke to me and I "listened" (read it) twice. Great work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh this rang with so much great heated truth to it.. I loved the message fully that it conveyed! Very true to our times.. and can apply to every person who reads it. I have thought of most of what you have mentioned.. found myself ashamed to be upset with the little I have.. when many others around the world have far less.. eat far less.. we are blessed for where we live.. we are spoiled rotten too and most know it. Greed is abundant in the best of times.. it's not until we hit harder times that we reflect, stew and feel sorry.. which is also selfish in so many ways but sooo human. I loved the flow, rhythm and rhyme .. but the message is very profound on sooo many levels here.. thank you so much for sharing! =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Ellen,

Fabulous message. Why is it that we don't think for ourselves? Are we too lazy? Are we afraid to stand out from the crowd? What is it? What causes us to not have the conviction of our beliefs. What causes us to trade what we feel is true for the falsehoods of others? Have we all become such cowards? If so this is a horrible condemnation of us as a society.

Thank you for pointing out our weaknesses. I think some of our politicians have become experts in trading on our fears. What a horrible prospect, but I fear it's true. We need to overcome our fears and retake what should be ours, a nation and people that are forthright and not afraid to be so.

Kindest regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. LOL You stirred up a lot of guilt/emotions with people judging from the comments it brought. This would make a great cover for the Human Rights Code documents. Fantastic treatment to an otherwise touchy subject. Bravo! Smiles M.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely Breathtaking!! Beautifully written and all too true with a message that needs to be heard! Thank you for delivering it and spreading the words!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2506 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on April 30, 2009
Last Updated on September 29, 2009

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Demented Demented

A Poem by Jason