LUCKY???

LUCKY???

A Poem by Ellen Hammond

  

 

 

“You’re lucky she is even here,”

They heard the doctor sigh.

“Did all we could…but I fear,

She very well might die.”

 

 

“Injuries were horrendous.

Her body may not cope.

The blood loss was tremendous.

I can’t give you much hope.”

 

 

“Multiple compound fractures,

And severely bruised heart;

Right lung collapsed from punctures;

Still,….THAT….is just a start….”

 

 

“Lower leg was crushed and cooked.

We’re forced to amputate.

There’s more surgeries to book,

But they will have to wait.”

 

 

“Sternum, ribs, arms, lower back…

Ankle, wrists, hands and knees…

Broken and crushed; one hip cracked.

There’s even more than these”

 

 

“Femur completely shattered,

Muscles torn and tattered.”

 

 

“Must have been quite a wreck,

She also broke her neck.”

 

 

“Drug allergies prevent us

Prescribing meds for pain.

So, we’ll keep her comatose.

That seems the most humane.”

 

 

Three weeks in intensive care,

They leaned on each other.

Uniting in fervent prayer,

“Please don’t take our mother.”

 

 

In answer to words spoken,

My spirit was sent back…

In body badly broken,

To keep their faith on track.

 

 

In a coma, you can hear

Voices and what is said;

Feel the touch of loved ones near

As they gently stroke your head.

 

 

“She’s so lucky!” voices churned,

Determined, I resolved…

When I awoke they would learn,

There was no luck involved.

 

 

Speeding driver, drunk and high,

At the scene, he did die.

 

 

But I sit here wracked with pain,

My whole life forever changed.

 

 

Hope this poem will make you think.

When you drive, please don‘t drink.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2018 Ellen Hammond


Author's Note

Ellen Hammond
Lately, 2 years after, I have started having flashbacks of that head-on collision and of being in ICU. Many other things happened at both scenes that I didn't mention in this poem, as well as a few of the other injuries. And again, I have started thinking of what my loved ones went through. So, since my therapy is to write, I wrote this. Hopefully it will cause some people to think about what can happen if they drink then drive.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is definitely one of the most very well written, descriptive, heartfelt poems I've read in a very long time. Definitely enough to make almost anyone's eyes tear up. It's also enough to make most sensible people sit back and think about their actions and how their negligence can ruin lives. Very well written!

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This poem sums up why I get so angry at friends that drink and drive. They overestimate their ability to drive and they're overly optimistic about not being caught, so they do it. I never understood why. They're among friends, so they have a place to stay. DUI related deaths and injuries are so preventable. Something needs to change.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are right, luck had nothing to do with it. The Good Lord had purpose for letting you stay: The love of family, your poetic pen....and that admonition and pleading final verse. Drinking and driving has taken a lot of people in my own family, let alone the countless thousands of others we all hear about. I hope you are doing well my friend.

Great personal write--

mark

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ohhhh,very inspiring......the prayers remind me of those for my grand pa...,when he went to comma ,although,they did not do much...but I am more than delighted they were fruit ful in your case,...I wish your pains be gone ,for ever,...thank you for letting us peep into your past which I assume must be very hard for you....and a wonder ful moral lesson...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As a Police Officer I used to show movies
of terrible accidents to High School stdents.
You poem is so devastating that I am sure
it would help to drive home the message.
Don`t use and drive.
Words fail me to give proper credit to this
poem. It has such impact that no reader
could not feel the most profound empathy
for the writer.

Rate---- 100 %

----- Eagle Cruagh

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is just excellent! It is so well written, and tells an amazing, lucid story while keeping to structure and a rhyme scheme. It is amazing that you are alive lovely lady, and God must have a purpose for you, for you to still be with us! I admire your wonderful courage, your stamina, and the wonderful gift that you give to us all in your story and in your poetry!



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Lee
Ellen, this is gripping and very well told. The picture grabbed me and as I stared at it, I thought about the lady who was in the mass of burnt metal and realized she just became my friend and has read my scribblings. Yes, I have no doubt it was a miracle. It seems everything about you was injured, broken, and crushed...except your spirit. You also confirm about the ability to hear and feel while in a coma. I've always thought that. And you end with a good message, don't drink and drive.
I'm sure you've suffered many hours, but I don't sense any regret for coming back for His purpose.
Thank you for sharing this tragic accident and your faith. Keep smilin'...Lee

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The visual and the words should be made into a poster and posted up everywhere. I enjoyed this poem I hated to hear about your experience but to have made it through and create such a moving piece that speaks to the heart you need a standing "O" for more than just the poetry. Also the Lord gets one as well!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

*Tears* I cannot believe that you came out of that alive Ellen, it is a miracle!! That is an 'in your face' picture that shook me up, but nothing could prepare me for what was to come. You are a beautiful person to be able to share such trauma with us...I can't imagine your pain, but I can imagine your fighting spirit and the enormous faith that brought you to this point. You are an inspiration...
God bless you Ellen xxx

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I honestly do not know what to say I'm speechless. You are a survivor that is for sure. writing is my therapy too so keep at it. And we are all here for you.

Voice


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We are all very lucky that God has given you to us. You are a wonderful gift to the world. Smiles & Hugs

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2541 Views
45 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 21, 2009
Last Updated on May 8, 2018

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing