LUCKY???

LUCKY???

A Poem by Ellen Hammond

  

 

 

“You’re lucky she is even here,”

They heard the doctor sigh.

“Did all we could…but I fear,

She very well might die.”

 

 

“Injuries were horrendous.

Her body may not cope.

The blood loss was tremendous.

I can’t give you much hope.”

 

 

“Multiple compound fractures,

And severely bruised heart;

Right lung collapsed from punctures;

Still,….THAT….is just a start….”

 

 

“Lower leg was crushed and cooked.

We’re forced to amputate.

There’s more surgeries to book,

But they will have to wait.”

 

 

“Sternum, ribs, arms, lower back…

Ankle, wrists, hands and knees…

Broken and crushed; one hip cracked.

There’s even more than these”

 

 

“Femur completely shattered,

Muscles torn and tattered.”

 

 

“Must have been quite a wreck,

She also broke her neck.”

 

 

“Drug allergies prevent us

Prescribing meds for pain.

So, we’ll keep her comatose.

That seems the most humane.”

 

 

Three weeks in intensive care,

They leaned on each other.

Uniting in fervent prayer,

“Please don’t take our mother.”

 

 

In answer to words spoken,

My spirit was sent back…

In body badly broken,

To keep their faith on track.

 

 

In a coma, you can hear

Voices and what is said;

Feel the touch of loved ones near

As they gently stroke your head.

 

 

“She’s so lucky!” voices churned,

Determined, I resolved…

When I awoke they would learn,

There was no luck involved.

 

 

Speeding driver, drunk and high,

At the scene, he did die.

 

 

But I sit here wracked with pain,

My whole life forever changed.

 

 

Hope this poem will make you think.

When you drive, please don‘t drink.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2018 Ellen Hammond


Author's Note

Ellen Hammond
Lately, 2 years after, I have started having flashbacks of that head-on collision and of being in ICU. Many other things happened at both scenes that I didn't mention in this poem, as well as a few of the other injuries. And again, I have started thinking of what my loved ones went through. So, since my therapy is to write, I wrote this. Hopefully it will cause some people to think about what can happen if they drink then drive.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is definitely one of the most very well written, descriptive, heartfelt poems I've read in a very long time. Definitely enough to make almost anyone's eyes tear up. It's also enough to make most sensible people sit back and think about their actions and how their negligence can ruin lives. Very well written!

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Sometimes, Eleen, you read something you simply cannot comment on. All that there is to do is stand by and say, "I acknowledge your pain, and bow my head in prayer to it"

I feel like this now, like your writing has opened up a space to the sacred. Indeed, a wise woman said, "The door to your soul is through your deepest scar".

So I will not comment on the writing or subject, except to say it is filled with grace and honesty and truth. I will just comment on the vivaciousness and forgiveness in the heart of the author who wrote it. Your loved ones called you back, and we are all benefitting from the fact that they did. May you enjoy the rest of your days here one blessing at a time.



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ellen, I read your poem, but it's not something I care to comment on as to structure, style etc. cause well, I can't.

Your pain is too real.

I can only say,.... Keep the faith. learn, experience, and write more and often so that others who think they know so much can get a taste of your reality.

In a suffering world you are certainly getting more than your share . . . teach it too others who live in limbo . . . texting and drinking . . .their lives and others lives away........

Good luck to you and God bless.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful reminder of a tragic fate that can happen when idiots get out on the road high and intoxicated. I've got nothing against anyone taking a drink, but get a designated driver if you have to go out, or better yet, just stay at home and enjoy your buzz, but for God's sake and your fellow human being's, stay out from behind the wheel. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Dear Ellen,

Thank God you are alive to tell this awful tale, surely He meant you to be.

However, I rather think you survive through courage and complete determination. The very fact that this wonderfully written poem pushes home the non-drink and drive policy is amazing, if anyone should have a medal for bravery in the line of duty, it's you. Your duty and commitment alongside your day-to-day bravery and sweet thoughts and love of and for your family is more than wonderful.

I've known of people having help in escaping the trauma of flash-backs, you might look into that .. your choice, of course, dear lady.

I'm so proud to be your friend.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am so glad you made it through...it has always been my rule amongst friends that if they must drink i will volunteer to not, so i can be the designated driver. Its caused arguments, but no collisions..
If only people would think....

thank you for sharing this!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH MY GOD! I am very thank ful that you are here. We are all the more blessed. I am grateful every day, that i dont drink.
This poem speaks volumes and should be out there, for all to see.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I know without a doubt the Creator is carrying you! There are many evil and bad things in this world most people(who are with no hardships) ignore those around them. This terrible event has happened to you and your loved ones and you may say why? What did I do to deserve this? Who decided that I should be the example?
People may even say just accept this and get on with your life! Wait you say! This is me! Most people would lose their minds and never be reach-able, ever! Then I see your words I read them and I get strength and to think you still believe in the Creator! You have affected me so much that I wonder why I carry so much weight on my shoulders, I am so honored to be called your friend! I make a point to pray for you, just you!
I am nobody but to the Creator I am! That is all that matters!
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Ellen,

This is a poem filled with pain and courage. A horrific, needless accident. Horror for your family. Immeasurable pain for you. And now relived in flashbacks. The emotional trauma must be unimaginable. Yet here you write this poem. You push the horror aside to share and educate, to teach a lesson through the suffering you've endured. Admirable. How selfless. I know that poetry can be a catharsis of sorts, but this must have been a difficult write for you. Thank you for your courage in sharing.

My very best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The only thing ik can say is wow...

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ellen, No one that has not been through such a horrid accident would ever be able to say "I know how you feel. I cannot even begin to imagine. But I know from chatting with you there is a deep seeded faith that pulled you through those awful times. An angel must have sat in vigilant watch over you. The poem is a must read for everyone. And though this is a very sad and emotional work, I still must comment on the skill with which you wrote. Your talent really shows in this piece. The flow is magnificent and the message is delivered without a pity me attitude. You are one heck of a lady and I am so glad that I got to know you. Keep that pen moving, the world needs more of your writings.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2541 Views
45 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 21, 2009
Last Updated on May 8, 2018

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing