The Necromacery

The Necromacery

A Story by Ellysias
"

This is a short story, I may decide to extend it later. It is basically a mother telling about her first child and how he was 'abnormal' and some major things during the beginning of his life.

"

When I found out I was pregnant I was overjoyed. I told my husband and we quickly began making plans. We moved out of our Washington apartment and into a spacious home near Idaho. It would be my first child so of course I was a little nervous. The days passed quickly and along came the morning sickness. My husband lovingly cared for me and helped me through the pains.

 

The day finally came and my husband drove me to the hospital. The labor pains felt almost unbearable but I somehow made it through the birth. I had given birth to a baby boy and I couldn’t help but smile although my head was really dizzy. When I looked around I saw confusion on the doctors’ faces. I asked them what was wrong and they told me that my son was abnormal and suggested I abort him even though he was already born. Of course I fought them saying I didn’t care if my son was different, he was my son and I loved him no matter what. The doctors were appalled with me but finally allowed me to keep my baby. I eventually drifted out of consciousness.

 

I didn’t leave the hospital until they allowed me to take my son home. As I walked out I was scorned by all the nurses and noticed that people took care to not be near me. I ignored them and held my baby, Kevin, safely in my arms.

 

When Kevin reached the age of four my husband left us. I was heart broken, but I continued raising Kevin as best as I could on my own with love and care. At the age of ten I took Kevin and moved near the ocean in a beach-front house. I home schooled him myself and kept him away from public scorn as much as possible. But the neighbors still hated us, and called me ‘the mother of the freak’ and labeling Kevin as a ‘monster’.

 

As he grew into his teen years I noticed that he had an amazing gift with music. He succeeded especially well with the piano and played it daily. He would get up early in the morning and play our grand piano as the sun rose. I would sit in a chair nearby listening to him play and watching the waves crash on the beach. It was then, when he sat at the piano with a full view of the ocean right in front of him, that he was at his happiest. But there was still something missing in his heart.

 

One day after he finished playing, Kevin turned to me and asked me why I had kept and loved him even though he was a freak. I was slightly astounded by him suddenly asking this but I calmly answered, “Because you are my son no matter what you look like. I’m going to love you regardless of what other people may think or say.” He went silent for a minute or two then asked me if it was hard loving him when I was scorned because of it. I walked over to him and put my arms around him. “No matter what anyone says Kevin, you are my son. You’re no freak. You are amazing young man and I’m proud to be able to love you and to have given birth to you.” I held him close and smiled.

 

Over the days his spirits rose and he looked happier when he played. I bought him many guides and composition books for his playing. He read them over and over during his spare time and was soon coming up with songs on his own.

 

A day came, and I remember it so well, that changed Kevin’s life completely. I was in the kitchen preparing lunch while he was practicing one of the songs he had composed. A girl around his age was walking on the beach in front of our home. Hearing Kevin’s playing she had curiously wandered up to the house. I quietly watched from the kitchen as she listened. By the look on her face I could tell she was enjoying Kevin’s playing. I was glad that someone besides me was also enjoying it. We rarely saw visitors near our house during those years so I didn’t say anything to Kevin thinking she probably wouldn’t return, but she did. The third day she came was when Kevin finally noticed her.

 

 

 

I was pretty new to the area. Like I usually do, I had wandered off by myself. It was then that I heard a beautiful melody. Following it, I came upon a house. Inside I saw a boy around my age playing the piano. He looked so peaceful. I closed my eyes and listened to his playing, it was like nothing I had ever heard before. I was amazed at how good he was.

 

On the third day I came back to listen he noticed me. I wasn’t sure whether I should stay or run, because he might’ve been mad at me for trespassing. The boy calmly stood up and left the room. After a few moments he came around the house and walked over to me. “I…I’m sorry I didn’t mean to disturb you, I just love your playing.” I had managed to say. He stared at me with his silvery eyes. I had never seen anyone with eyes like his, they seemed to sparkle whenever he looked at me. My gaze moved to his mouth when he started to speak. His teeth were a pure white and sharper than anyone else’s that I had ever met.

 

“ What is your name…?’ He said. He had pale skin that almost shone in the sunlight. I was completely awestruck, I wasn’t even sure how to describe him.

 

“Camellia…and yours?” I replied. It was hard for me to speak because I was almost mesmerized by him.

 

“Kevin…” He said softly. The win rustled his hair slightly, and I noticed a marking on his forehead. It looked like a small star with a light circle around it. It appeared to be a birthmark. “Aren’t you scared of me?” His question had startled me and I jumped slightly.

 

“Why not at all. Is there a reason I should be?” I answered truthfully. He looked down at his feet for a moment then looked at me. His eyes looked like he had been in a lot of pain all of his life.

 

“Because…I’m not normal.” He said brushing his hair back “Everyone around here says that I’m a freak.” There was a hint of sadness in his voice and I felt like I was going to start crying. I put my hand on his shoulder without realizing it and looked at him with compassion.

 

“You’re not a freak, not to me anyway. I think you’re amazing…I mean, I’ve never seen anyone like you. You’re gorgeous…if...if you don’t mind would you let me hear you play some more?” There was a silence and he nodded. Shortly after I heard shouts. Two men and a woman came up from the beach behind me. I spun around and Kevin moved to stand in front of me. I had no idea what was going on but I heard gunshots.

 

“Why now of all times.” Kevin said, annoyed. He grabbed my hand suddenly and we ran through the bushes and to the door of his house. Once inside he leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor. I kneeled down in front of him and noticed a scratch that was bleeding on his forehead. Instinctively I wiped the blood off with my fingers. I could feel his warm breath on my face as he stared at me in surprise. “I’m so sorry about that…you should probably go home now…and it’s best you don’t come back around here anymore.”

 

“No…I want to stay. I want to hear more of you’re playing…and I also…want to know more about you.” I said staring into his silver eyes. My heart was racing. He smiled at me and his smile made him look even more beautiful. He got up, took my hand, and led me to his piano. We sat down on the bench and he began playing. I closed my eyes and listened to his melody.

 

 

 

I was so worried when I had heard the gunshots, but I was relieved when I saw that they had made it inside safely. Regardless of what had happened, Camellia still came back every day to listen to Kevin’s playing. Their relationship grew stronger daily, and soon Kevin was teaching her various things. I was glad that he had finally met someone else who accepted him for who he was. As the days went by, I saw that Kevin was beginning to gain what he had been missing.

 

When Kevin turned 19, his father came to visit us. He questioned Camellia for enjoying being with my son. But she was a strong girl and put up a good argument. “Not to make offense Sir, but I see no reason why I shouldn’t liked to hang out with Kevin and why you shouldn’t either. He is amazing.” She had stated firmly.

 

“Because he’s a freak. You’ll be scorned and hated for it and no one will accept you.” My ex-husband said harshly.

 

“Well that’s their problem. I’d rather be scorned but happy instead of accepted and miserable. I love Kevin, and I don’t care what people may think because I’m happy with him.” Camellia replied strongly. My ex-husband was astounded by this.

 

“Do what you want girl, but I’m telling you, you’ll regret it.” He said angrily with his hand on the doorknob of our front door.

 

“How would you know Alex, when you ran out like a coward when things got a little rough. I’m still perfectly fine.” I stated, crossing my arms and standing next to Camellia.

 

“You have no right to say anything, you’re not part of this family anymore.” Kevin said, standing up from where he was sitting at the piano. He straightened his music sheets and walked over to where we were. With a smile to Camellia he added, “I’m going to marry Camie whether you like it or not. We‘ve already decided.”

 

And so it happened, with my permission and blessing, they were married the following spring. Many of our neighbors and family showed up, willingly accepting Kevin into the community and apologizing for their harshness.

 

 

Just this fall, Camellia gave birth to their 3rd and 4th children: twin boys named Virgil and Daniel. I’m proud to be a grandmother and to have been able to witness a beautiful relationship start and flourish into a beautiful melody for all these years. I hope the symphony continues for many years to come.

© 2010 Ellysias


Author's Note

Ellysias
the title is just something I came up with. It doesn't have much to do with the story.
This is my work, it is not copied from anyone else's in any way. (If it is similar it is not intended) So please do not copy my work, I worked hard on this story :)

Let me know what you think!
-Elly

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on November 10, 2010
Last Updated on November 10, 2010

Author

Ellysias
Ellysias

>In Some Place< (:, CA



About
(: I love writing, reading, acting, drawing, singing, and dancing. I also love watching anime, and playing video games. My friends are my life. >They mean the world to me< I get my inspiration from.. more..

Writing