Bundle 10: Meet-Cute

Bundle 10: Meet-Cute

A Story by EmaleighLynn
"

For a contest

"

Kacie’s highlighter was out of ink.


If Kacie was less stressed, she might brush it off, use a pencil to finish her studying. She might even just stop for the night. Or if she was desperate, run to the store to get another one.


But that wasn’t tonight. Tonight, Kacie was at her breaking point. She had two exams in the morning and one the next day and she had piles of studying to do. Literal piles. Not even the soft Louisiana bluegrass music, which usually helped her study, was working tonight.


She yanked her headphones out of her ears, trying not to scream. She usually wasn’t this bad with things like this. She was usually much more laid-back, more fun. But not during exam week. Oh no, during exam week she turned into what her roommate called “Kacie’s monster.” It wasn’t pretty.


Her roommate, Zandra, looked up from her novel - writing, not reading - when Kacie stood up. Zandra wasn’t her real name, it was short for Alexandra, but she claimed the longer version was too formal. “Where are you going?” Zandra asked.


Kacie grabbed her umbrella - it was supposed to rain, according to the weatherman - and her keys. “Somewhere where I can think.” she said.


“Don’t get lost!” Zandra called as Kacie walked out the door.


Walking helped. Kacie had figured that out a while ago. If she could just walk, walk and think, she would feel a lot better. A walk around campus - which was quite large - really cleared her head.


And it was working tonight, until she tripped.


She pushed herself off the ground with her forearms and looked back to see what she’d tripped over, glad she was wearing jeans and not a skirt. An exposed wire lay on the ground just behind her feet, spreading from the road onto the sidewalk and ending at a building. The wire was thick, too, not some skinny thing.


Kacie sat up, rubbing her arms where she’d caught her fall. Before she could try to stand, a boy with pale green hair rushed over to her.


“I’m so sorry!” he said, extending a hand to help Kacie up. “I really should move that wire. Here, let me help you up.”


Kacie took his hand and he pulled her to her feet. “What is that even for?” she asked him, shaking in the general direction of the wire.


“A project I’m working on.” he said, “Engineering. My name’s Josh.”


“I’m Kacie.” she said. She brushed herself off. “Thanks.”


Josh grinned. “Sure thing Kacie. Would you be interested in a coffee? To make up for the tripping?”


Kacie smiled too. “Sure.”

© 2015 EmaleighLynn


Author's Note

EmaleighLynn
I feel like the dialogue at the end is a bit weird...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on June 7, 2015
Last Updated on June 7, 2015
Tags: contest, cute, i hope anyway, late night walks

Author

EmaleighLynn
EmaleighLynn

Columbia, SC



About
Wow, it's been a while since I did anything here. God. I'm sorry. I've been writing since eighth grade. I'm a freshman in college now (wtf). I write fiction (books, short stories) and a LOT of poet.. more..

Writing
Winged Winged

A Story by EmaleighLynn