How the first wave came to be

How the first wave came to be

A Story by Edward macenulty

“You may not believe me when I tell you this little one, but the ocean was once flat. It had neither crest or ripple nor wave, no tide or crest, not even the ebb and flow which we know. The wind had no power over the sea, for the water was glass and the wind could not grip with its tireless fingertips.” said the father.

How did fisherman fair? Said the child how or when was it time to fish?

I think you mean how did they know when to fish little one. Remember my child how important it is for all things said to make sense and more importantly a question should have a purpose.

Fisherman fished as was their custom with relative ease. The wind caught the sail the nets went into the water without a splash. When the fisherman wanted to fish he would fish without the worry of time.

“why would waves come?”

“all things in their beginning are simple”

“why would things become un-simple”  

With a smile the father replied, “things become complicated because there are forces beyond the control of you and me that compel the way of things to change.”

This my son was a time when fisherman lived without the waves and the ceaseless bob and fear of upturned sea, life was a fisherman’s garden.

Time, days are but a drop, a generation is nothing more than a ripple, the ever changing way of time. As it happened son the first wave was started by a glance, a day when the gods made the night clear and the moon could see far and wide.

The moon was looking for a husband. The moon lonely in the sky with the stars so far away. And on this clear night Gyrm went out to sea to Fish. Gyrm was young as all people should be if they can manage it, and a skilled fisherman even though there was no need for skill. He would throw out his net with such skill that he never had an empty net, the fish would be dazzled by his net entranced by his craft, and then caught.

So the moon like the fish was caught, ensnared by this youth .

“was he a better fisherman than you dad?”

Yes son, he was so skilled that he caught the eye of the moon a feat done once and never again.

The moon enraptured by Gyrm but could nothing.

Unrequited in her love for Gyrm she was beyond sad and filled with hopelessness. My son you have yet to feel the burden of this sink hole in your life, but for the permeant feature that is the moon this feeling was unbearable.

The moon reached for Gyrm but without arms Gyrm would fish in the night unware of the moon and her plying for his favors. On occasion Gyrm would sing while he fished and the moon thought he was singing to her.

So filled with love the moon exerted all of her will on the earth, and so formed the first wave, and as it happened Gyrm was Fishing that night when all of a sudden his boat rocked for the first time. Unware of what to do Gyrm shook the boat when he stood up. And the moon my son took notice of this and exerted her want for love on the earth, and Gyrms boat rocked more and more, and without knowing what to do Gyrm’s boat capsized, and there he was lost at sea his boat sinking and the moon staring at him. Too far out to sea to swim back Gyrm floated there and the moon continued pushing on the water through force of will and Gyrm was swallowed, and the moon in her anguish at having lost her love has never stopped.

That my son is how the first wave came to be, and you must always respect the waves and the water and the moon. 

© 2015 Edward macenulty


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very interesting tale, spun out of great imagination and written in a really nice style. It was fun trying to picture the ocean that way, the water like honey. "things become complicated because there are forces beyond the control of you and me that compel the way of things to change"-- loved this part. The dialogues flowed well and the ending was just right. Nice job.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 13, 2015
Last Updated on June 13, 2015

Author

Edward macenulty
Edward macenulty

About
I am really just trying to see if there is something there to my thoughts and execution. more..