Who We Are

Who We Are

A Story by Emere
"

A brief reflection on what defines us.

"
A red sweater, a ticking watch, ballet shoes. The little things that make us who we are.

A box of photographs, a playlist from our teenage years, an embarrassing Myspace account. The things from our past that made us who we are.

A mother who cared, a father who protected, someone either defined or blank that we have loved or will love. The people that made us who we are.

Red hair, brown eyes, a tan. The physical things that make us who we are.

A vacation home in Maine, a treehouse, a schoolyard. The places that made us who we are.

All well and good, but there's a catch.

A discouraging letter, an eviction notice, a failing grade. The little things.

A broken heart, the death of a friend, a repressed and ancient memory. The things from our past.

A convict, a stalker, a traitorous spouse. The people.

A jagged scar, a broken nose, heart disease. The physical things.

A hospital, the scene of a car wreck, a funeral home. The places.

In this life, we must take the good with the bad.

What choice, after all, do we have?

© 2018 Emere


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

None! On second thoughts, we do have some influence on our futures! You have addressed the fundamental question of who we are which we should all be considering. It has been one of the recurring themes in my own writing.
Regards and take heart!
Alan

Posted 6 Years Ago


Emere

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
Such a creative way to present this idea. I love all the little things you bring up. It's all these little things that make us who we are.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Emere

6 Years Ago

Thanks Hannah! :)
....I really don't know what to say to this..... honestly....I like it! The structure of good vs bad is nicely done. It somewhat reads like a children's story of sorts....something moralistic.....but then again, it may be a bit too abstract and profound for them. This also strikes me as more poetic than story, but that last line kind of ties it into a story. So it's kind of everywhere at once....but kind of in a good way....for in a way it depicts the craziness and unpredictability of life and all the ups and downs that it hurls at us. Much enjoyed! Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


emipoemi

6 Years Ago

Well, it all depends on what you do with the writing; continue with poetry or prose. Like I said, th.. read more
Emere

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for saying that. It really means a lot to me, especially since I'm a bit insecure .. read more
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

Don't be. There are many on here who would say that if I like it, it means you're going to go places.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2018
Last Updated on January 16, 2018

Author

Emere
Emere

TN



About
Amateur writer with commitment issues. Feedback is welcomed, and helpful, and caressed inappropriately. Appreciate ya. ;) more..

Writing
Past Past

A Story by Emere