Wonder

Wonder

A Poem by Emily B

Don't tell me how it works, sir,
I like to watch
And be amazed at the display.
The inner workings, wiring, switches,
all, are unnecessary details.
Miracles deflated.
Don't explain the rainbow,
or sunshine,
or brain waves.
Child-like
in my comprehension
I want to smile
and clap my hands
at the wonder
of it all.


 

© 2009 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I remember this one. It brings to mind several memories and a cpl not so good ones. At Children's Hospital in St. Louis they have this magnificent huge display in a glass box that is taller than me and and probably 10 or 15 ft long. It sits right in the center of the entry foyer. It is hard to describe but it is all of these rails and chains and buckets and silver balls constantly moving up and down and across... you get the picture. People just stand there watching in awe, it is magnificent and your poem has always reminded me of that. I love this piece...

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

How I feel, every time, I come across a poem or story, which forces me to stop and think. How can I reach that apex, which I have just read. Create a line of verse or a paragraph that enlights and educations, at the same time, like your poems do, Emily.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is for me the inside of a Victorian watch or barometer or the set of a Roald Dahl film, the crazy beauty of the ununderstandable,a real cracker of a poem that moves as you read it...


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So true...once the veil is lifted and we find out that the "Wizard" is just a man using a machine, some of the allure is lost. Children are content with being fascinated by what they don't understand, while adults tend to try and "figure things out"--which is why magic is usually always more alluring to children. I, however, love magic, and I don't necessarily care that there are wire and switches to make things work, even though I know that there are. An interesting piece that relaly shows the perspective of youth vs. adulthood. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this one Emily (don't I always say that?) well it's true, i love this because it's how I am, everything in nature is a miracle to me, except mosquitos, well maybe mosquitos but i don't like them no, I do not. But your poems are like a new flower, perpetually blooming. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily B

10 Years Ago

of mine :)

i hate that read more thing, it is always messing up
Emily B

10 Years Ago

i think i said that it is good to look back at where you've come from
Corset

10 Years Ago

:) I will , I used to read all in a sitting, but then someone said I should take time to contemplate.. read more
I like the sentiment of this one a lot. Sometimes it seems that we are so bent on unraveling the magic of everything that it just ruins the result that would otherwise be produced in our hearts and minds. Magic is more inspiring than the a actually explanation sometimes. At its core, there is the power to do great things. So I think for those reasons the last four lines of this one are my favorite. There is true delight in the clapping of those hands to celebrate the wonder of things. I'm also find of the part about the rainbow and not exposing how it works.

Smiling from my part of the world :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is always a better memory when we have made it from how we perceive the message within our heart and spirit. Another may paint us a picture, tell us a story, give us a rule, and on and on, but the true meaning of it may be lost if we do not understand and interpret what is presented as we know it.

I like the message in this - yes, let us just wonder at it!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


so soothing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I got my anual flu shot friday morning and I sit here on tuesday with flu like
symptoms. I asked my doctor to tell me how that works sir. I, as you, like
to watch, which being naturally non-mechanical in nature, makes the making
of things far more comprehensible.

you always amaze me, dana

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"child- like
in my comprehension
i want to smile
and clap my hands
at the wonder
of it all"

Brilliantly said! If we could all have the delightful innocence of a child, we would be a much happier world... Lovely poem. Maika'i no, very well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1966 Views
49 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on August 20, 2009


Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Time Time

A Poem by Rain


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen