Apology to my Daughters

Apology to my Daughters

A Poem by Emily B
"

playing, just playing

"

I should have taught you the proper way

to jump in water puddles

and not worried so much

about how much your shoes cost

or if you would get dirty.

 

I learned my lesson well

and when you have daughters;

I will, laughing, teach them to JUMP.

I might even help them

take their sandals off first.

© 2009 Emily B


Author's Note

Emily B
Dressed in my funny clothes on Saturday, I met two of the sweetest little toddler girls. No matter how much I smiled or how many times I showed them how they weren't quite sure they wanted to jump in. Big brother did, though, several times. Made me wonder why I missed that with my kids . . .

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah...grandparent indulgence. Some people view it as parental revenge haha.

I'm thinking a few commas/semi colon in the second stanza might help with pace:
"I learned my lesson well;
and when you have daughters
I will, laughing, teach them to JUMP."

Maybe not. See what you think.

It's appealing in its simple sincerity and reflection. I liked.
I'm a sucker for a little story in a poem - especially one with a punchline-esque final line haha.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very warn and a poem only a mother could write. It seems mothers for some reason put themselves down when it comes to their own children. That they are not good enough, Emily 99% of mothers are great people as your are. Some children seem to have a way of making their mothers feel that way. I loved your poem . You do not owe you daughters an apolopy. I would change the title "To My Daughters". Of course what do I know of motherhood I am only a father.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We have a tendancy as mothers to hold the umbrella much too tight in hopes of preventing our children from getting wet. The over-protection only serves to build resentment as they grow older. Put down the umbrella and let them make their own puddles.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is beautiful! Made me think a lot about whether or not I would have been a good enough mother to my daughter - to teach her to enjoy life like I never did.

Great poem, Emily. AWESOME!!!!

Josie

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such is life... sometimes we miss the fun a bit of undiscipline brings....

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As a mother of a 2 year old girl, this really made me think. I wanted to take her out in her dress shoes to find a puddle. Thank you for putting a smile on my face.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i think that creative minds take the moments missed, the disappontments and pain, and make lasting art
excavating that enormous hole in the heart
and finding gold.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Despite how short it is, you tell a wonderful story enclosed in only a few words. It looks back at your own childhood, I think and reflects the wisdom that you've gained through the years: now you know how when and how to teach the little ones to enjoy life more and to worry less. This is great sentiment. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is adorable !!! What a fun write !!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

How quaint. I absolutely adored your poem. It brought about a smile to face, bravo my dear.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it, simple... just like the idea you are trying to champion.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1363 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 24, 2008
Last Updated on August 20, 2009


Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Adrift Adrift

A Poem by Emily B