Chapter Five- The Truth In The Garden

Chapter Five- The Truth In The Garden

A Chapter by EmilyWinchester

Months have passed and the girls body has begun to wither away. Everyone tends to avoid this particular foyer but I find myself here often looking at her. I've talked to her and I know it's crazy but she doesn't hold judgment like the others. There hasn't been a word from Louise although I catch him eyeing me when we are in the same room and that's very often. He glares at me when Marcos stops by me and says even a single hello.
Maria is still like mother hen, always checking to make sure everyone is ok and even in her death she worries about everyone expect herself. I really couldn't have gotten through finding out I was dead without her. Trust me, it's hard to just wake up one day and not remember anything and have someone tell you you're dead and there's no way to explain it really. Nobody can tell you how you died all the while everyone else remembers their own death. I've given up and accepted it and I know it has to be for the best.
Still, I'm determined to find the girl who was so brutally murder but while I look for her something inside me aches. Not only was her life taken but maybe her after life was too? Marcos comes around the corner and immediately stops when he sees me looking down at the girl in a trance.

"So this is her? This is the girl I keep hearing about that was- well murdered?" Asks Marcos cautiously.

"Yes." I whisper.

"You saw it happen, right?" Marcos is curious now.

"Well, now who's the curious one?" I ask giving him a sideways glance.

Marcos fiddles with his fingers a moment as he stares at the girl. He looks as if he doesn't quiet know what to say.

" I saw a carriage coming from across the property when I was looking out over the garden." I began and Marcos perked up to listen.

" I ran down to the main entrance and saw a man come in followed by a woman-" I trailed off for a moment feeling a since of sadness for her.

"They looked so in love and the girl was just gleaming every time he looked at her. He took her hand and led her here and he kissed her and she pushed him away and- it got worse. He held her down and raped her. He strangled her while he was doing it. She died while he was still-" I couldn't continue, I was sobbing now.

"I'm very sorry, Isabella. That must have been awful." Marcos said pulling me into a hug.

I stood in his arms for a moment until I was able to pull myself together. Marcos arms dropped and he pulled himself away.

" It shouldn't take her body too much longer to finish it's natural process. You won't have to see her anymore eventually." Marcos gave me a small smile.

What? Was he really trying to be subtle by talking like that.

"Sure." Was all I could manage to say.

" I must be going, I'm off to look for more hidden treasures!" He said and grinned.

He went off up the stairs past the body like it wasn't even there. Was I the only one bothered by this? With a heavy sigh I turned and walked out of the foyer. He was right though, in a few months it will be as if it never even happened.

Later on a storm had come through and it was raining heavily, the thunder boomed through the place and it groaned. There was leaks everywhere, and the property would surely collapse within the next few years it seemed. Where would we all go? If this was destroyed would we all disappear? More thinking on things I cannot change, I must stop this. I was bored for the first time in a very long time and I walked the halls and fidgeted with the decorations when I heard a sudden thumping sound. I was on the top floor now and nobody comes up here that I'm aware of, everyone usually is moping about in the grand foyer.

Thump...Thump.

Thump thump thump.

I followed the sound into one of the rooms and there was a part of the wallpapering pulled aside. Another hidden room! I crept curiously towards it until the thumping got continuously louder. I stopped and peaked in. Marcos? Of course, he had told me he knew of other hidden rooms. He was standing by the opening and there was a chair moving slowly across the room almost as if it were stuck and someone was pulling it. A gasp escaped my lips and Marcos jerked his head around and suddenly the chair stopped. He grinned and gave me a crooked smile.

"Come watch!" He said excitedly.

I ducked into the room and went to him obediently.

" Did you ever imagine you could move things without touching them? Peculiar isn't it? I've been practicing and I've finally got things moving, I'm just working on controlling them." Marcos said with pure excitement.

" How? How is that possible?" I asked confused.

"In death we can do many things. Here you try." He said pointing to the chair.

"What? I don't know how." I replied.

"Just use your energy and think it and it shall be done. You'll just have to work on control." He smirked.

I looked at the chair and imagined it tilting backwards. Nothing happened, it didn't even move the slightest bit.

"I can't." I said shooting him an irritated glance.

"What do you want it to do?" He asked curiously.

"I imagined it leaning backwards but nothing happened." I said and he must have thought I didn't try enough because he pursed his lips together and looked away towards the chair.

"Watch." He said firmly.

He looked at the chair and I could tell he was really concentrating because suddenly the chair tilted back but it went back too far and slammed on the ground. Marcos laughed and clapped his hands together.

"See! I just need to control it more." He said with a grin.

I never realized how attractive Marcos was but his boyish grin made me feel something, maybe a type of warmth. Whatever it was it was something. I laughed at how happy he was. It's something rare in this world, to be happy in this ghostly state.

"Maybe you'll be able to do things too if you focus and try harder." He said as he was smoothing out the fabric that covered his arms.

He saw me watching him and smiled.

"If there's something I do remember it was that I enjoyed clothes. I wouldn't have been caught dead in this retched thing." He said with a wink.

I realized he was trying to be funny.

"Ahh, caught dead. That's charming." I laughed.

Marcos ushered me out of the hidden room and fixed the wall paper back. When he turned his eyes were different.

"Now, these rooms are between the two of us. They're special and what would we do if everyone else was traipsing about them? Hmm?" He was closer to me now than before.

I swear my heart fluttered.

"I'm not sure but- I- I'll keep it a secret." I spoke in barely a whispered.

"Good girl." He said as his grazed his thumb across my chin.

His touch sent something that might have resembled chills down my body.

"Any other rooms you find come tell me first, agreed?" He said as a statement rather than a question.

I nodded and he walked out of the room. What just happened? I didn't think he could be so intimidating but lately I've learned more about him than I expected. I waited a few moments before walking out of the room and at the end of the hallway sitting at the top of the steps was Amelia. Strange, I've never seen her off the first floor.

"Hello, Amelia. Is everything alright?" I ask with sincerity.

She looked up at me and gave me a half hearted smile.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm just thinking of my Alejandro." She said sadly.

"What? Why would you want to think of him after everything he did?" I was shocked.

She gave me a cold look.

" I was in love with him, despite everything I still loved that b*****d. Even after Sebastian." She snarked.

I had sympathy for her.

"I don't understand." I said.

" Have you ever loved someone before Isabella? If you haven't then do not judge me." She growled.

"I'm sorry Amelia." I said as I placed a hand on her shoulder.

She looked down at her lap and I noticed she was staring at the wedding band on her finger.

"It's not often you find love in this world but when you do you will still feel that love for someone even if they betray you, it might fade slowly over time but you will never fully lose it." She sighed after she spoke at sat there for a moment.

"Could you check on Sebastian for me? I just need a moment. " She asked once she looked up at me.

"Of course, where is he?" I asked as I stepped down the first step.

"He's in the garden playing with Louise." She said smiling.

"What? With Louise?" I asked confused.

"Yes, isn't he wonderful? I imagine he made some woman very happy when he was alive. It's strange really, I almost feel a connection with him." Amelia spoke as the smile grew on her face.

"Yes, I imagine he did." I huffed as I walked down the stairs.

I hadn't been in the garden in forever it seemed. Nobody ever went outside and the weather had been terrible as of late. Maybe the door had opened and they were curious. Once I got to the bottom floor and into the the main room I saw that the door was indeed open and I could hear laughter and the rain had stopped. I cautiously stepped over the threshold and it like stepping outside for the first time. The sun was just coming out and there were birds chirping loudly. The grass was very tall and the trees and bushes were entangled in each other. It's a wonder that man and the girl even found this place at all. I followed the small stone pathway and the sound of Sebastian's laughter to the garden were they were playing. Sebastian was running in circles and Louise was spinning acting like he was going to catch him at any moment. Louise looked up to meet my gaze and stopped instantly. He straightened his body and Sebastian stood still.

"Sebastian, your mother wanted me to check on you. Are you alright?" I asked giving him a small smile and paying no attention to Louise.

"Yes! I'm having fun. Is my mommy alright?" He asked going from happy to worried.

"Yes darling, she's fine. She's just thinking about things." I said trying not to worry him.

Sebastian sprang forward. "She needs me!" he said as he quickly ran past me.

"No, Sebastian wai-" I yelled but he was already in full run towards the door.

I headed for the door but Louise called me back.

"Isabella, can we talk please?" He asked with a raspy voice.

" Yes we can. I wanted to tell you that Amelia is very fond of you and I see now that Sebastian is too. Maybe you could help her forget about Alejandro." I said as I turned away from him.

"What? What are you talking about? Hey!" Louise grabbed my arm and gripped it tightly.

He pulled me towards him but let go once he saw my expression.

" You lied to me about your past. Not that it was a big deal but you didn't mention Gabriella. You said you've never loved anyone and I thought that was something we had in common." I shook my head as my words left my mouth.

"It doesn't matter, what matters is you lied to me when I was being completely open with you. I let you in and you lied. I hope you don't lie to Amelia because she seems to really like you." I said as my eyes began to water.

He grabbed my hand and when I tried to pull it away he tightened his fingers around mine.

"Isabella, I don't want Amelia and I didn't tell you about Gabriella because I didn't love her. She was the woman I was arranged to marry and she wouldn't leave me alone even after I said I refused to marry her. I'd write to her and tell her just enough to make her happy. Enough to keep her from going crazy and coming to look for me." He said as he looked into my eyes.

I scoffed and turned to look the other way.

" I've never loved anyone until now." He said calmly.

I quickly turned my head to look at him.

"What do you mean, until now?" I asked and I felt like my chest had tightened.

"Isabella, I'm in love with you and no matter what I do I cannot stop it." He was serious.

He held my hand and I was speechless, my heart jumped into my throat. Love me? Why would he love me?

" How can you?" I asked.

"I just do, I worry about you every second you're away and I cannot help it. I can't stand the though of you being around Marcos either. " he said and when he said Marcos name it was almost in a growl.

Marcos? I thought about his crooked smile and for a moment I was confused. I have had feelings for Louise and that was very clear now, almost instantly but something else was there also. Something for Marcos as well. Oh no, I would have never imagined to be in some kind of love triangle. I don't even know Marcos intentions either.

"Louise please, I can't do this right now. I'm sorry, I just need some time to comprehend all of this." I spoke and my chest felt heavy.

Louise let go of my hand and gave me a small smile.

"Take your time but please don't leave me to wait forever." he said slowly.

I walked away in shock and went back through the open door. What is happening? I though as I plopped down into one of the cozy chairs in the grand foyer. I sighed and tried to calm myself. I never would have imagine Louise and myself in love but then Marcos was in the picture as well. Aren't my feelings for Louise stronger? I've barely even gotten to know Marcos but at least he doesn't have a past he's keeping away from me. Louise did lie about his.
I don't care if he didn't love Gabriella, it was still a lie. Maybe I should find Marcos and talk to him about it? That would make Louise mad though and I don't want to hurt him either. Why is my once so boring afterlife suddenly complicated.

I decided to stay to myself for a few days and especially away from both Louise and Marcos and try to figure things out myself. You can't even have a love life when you're a ghost, right? Well, who am I to decide that? I finally decided I was going to tell Louise that I have feelings for him also so I gathered my dress and searched for him. To my surprise I found Marcos in one of the foyers instead.

"Well well, I haven't seen you around in a few days." He said with that crooked grin I liked so much.

He had seen me before I even had a change to turn away.

" You haven't been avoiding me have you? I share my secrets with you and then I don't see you." He motioned me to come sit next to him then patted the padded chair.

I walked over and sat next to him not wanting to come off as impertinent. He sighed heavily then turned his body a bit more towards mine.

" You're awfully quiet Isabella." Marcos said with a glare.

"I'm sorry. I just needed time alone the past few days, that's all. I won't share your secrets either." I said.

" Good girl." He said as his devilish grin ran from ear to ear.

I tried to look away but my eyes kept looking back to him and down to his lips. I was trying so hard to hide my obvious attraction but it was ridiculously difficult.

" You and I are lucky not to know how or why we died. I think that's what gives us this connection we have. When we are together, it's like you understand and I can't help but think maybe we were supposed to find one another." He said as he grazed my bottom lip with his thumb.

Oh, you can't be serious. I have decided I want to be with Louise but these urges are telling me differently.

"Can you not feel it Isabella? Pulling you in?"He whispered as he leaned in closer to me.

I was frozen by his gaze, by his voice and I couldn't even move. With that Marcos leaned in and kissed me deeply. I gasped against his mouth and he smiled against mine. He pulled away and I saw something move out of the corner of my eye and there stood Louise, devastated. Before I could say or do anything he was gone. Marcos stood up at smiled at me.

" I better let you tend to that." He laughed.

I ran out of the room but Louise had already disappeared. What have I done?


© 2017 EmilyWinchester


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on November 21, 2017
Last Updated on November 21, 2017
Tags: Mystery, Thriller, Ghost, Rape, Love, Horror


Author

EmilyWinchester
EmilyWinchester

About
Just someone who wants to share their stories and read others work as well. I enjoy reading, writing, painting and whiskey. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by EmilyWinchester