Inside a Lucid Dream

Inside a Lucid Dream

A Poem by Emily Elizabeth
"

Where my soul visits.

"

 

 

I think I’m loosing my mind

As I close my eyes I’ve disappeared

To a deep African Jungle

Where everything moves in a lucid

...S-l-o-w...m-o-t-i-o-n

Half way between a dream and reality

 

The noise of the jungle and ancient tribal drums

Beats to the sound of my heart

And it’s dark as night and as clear as day

The moon like a paper lantern above me

And the stars brighter than Hollywood neon lights

 

I step through the humid jungle,

Following the sound of the drums

A steady pounding that is emitted from my mind

My tears fall like raindrops onto the jungle floor

 

It smells strongly of wild flowers and

Their perfume wraps itself around my neck

Slowly choking me to a ecstasy driven death

And as the tears stream down my face

I feel all the sadness drain from me through every pore

 

 

 

 

And then I’m falling

Hitting the meniscus of the water

Into the wide open lake with lilies

Decorating the surface

And I can still hear the drums

As I fall to the sandy lake floor with coral

Like a kitsch dance hall

Colours everything around me and the

Glamorous fish swim above me in

A symphony

And light bursts through and it’s daytime

And above the jungle canopy the early morning sky

Of pink and navy with towering cherry-blossom colour

Clouds radiates, along with fading gold stars

And a stream of light hits where I am at the bottom of the pool

Bubbles glittering upwards, dancing

To the sound of drums and nature’s orchestra

And then in an instance, I understand everything

And cherish everything

 

Suddenly

Cold grey England

Cold grey decaying England

And then

 I think I am dead

And I think maybe I am inside

And I don’t know who I am anymore

Perhaps I’m going mad instead

 

 

 

  

Relaxing Music - Tribal- Native -American Indian music - Sacred Spirit - Earth Drums - 02 - Sunset Ceremony.mp3 - Drums

© 2008 Emily Elizabeth


Author's Note

Emily Elizabeth
Lately my dreams have been taking me to the heart of the Jungle. I don't understand why. I used to dream about the sky and gleaming cities. Another colourful jungle piece. You're probably all bored of these by now!
This was inspired by my conversations with Celtic Cat. You should really read some of her work. Not only is she an amazing poet but an amazing poet too!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Absolutely, wonderfully brilliant, Emily! This one i savored in S-L-O-W M-O-T-I-O-N... :)

a little observation: in your poem of creative patterns and animated scenes and lines, one can really tell that you are taking up an arts-related subject (it's film, isn't it?).

Your poetry's flow is naturally appealing because of the choice of words, the imagery, and lastly, it's irony in the end, when the persona returned to cold, gray England!

oh, did i say your poem is wonderful? haha :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What a dream so deeply expressed and very well penned~Great WritE!!~Fran Marie

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What can I say, this is a beautiful poem but I think you should have stuck to one color alone.
You make the exotic dream seem very palpable, and I like the realistic way you chose to end it.

A.M.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nicely done, and congrats on winning my contest. This is a nicely written piece I did enjoy reading. Obvious it's worth a climb on the Ladder of Light. Very well done.

Special note I should add again, I love dreams. I like the symbols of them, and even the chances I had to obtain Lucid Dreaming. I managed only three times, but I like those times. Very well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great description it is sooo awesome

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely, wonderfully brilliant, Emily! This one i savored in S-L-O-W M-O-T-I-O-N... :)

a little observation: in your poem of creative patterns and animated scenes and lines, one can really tell that you are taking up an arts-related subject (it's film, isn't it?).

Your poetry's flow is naturally appealing because of the choice of words, the imagery, and lastly, it's irony in the end, when the persona returned to cold, gray England!

oh, did i say your poem is wonderful? haha :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Another favourite of mine. I really like the way you describe such a wonderful dreamy world and then finish by bringing us down to earth with a few short sharp lines about our real surroundings. Very effective , but what i like most is that even at the end when we see the cold light of day it leaves us with the desire to find this place all the more so.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As usual, your imagery is aboslutely fantastic. The first part reminds me of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, except with a much lighter tone. You might want to have a few strong initial words in your lines, though: even though your imagery is great, it would be more powerful if you could cut out a few of those pesky little words like "and" and "of." The ending is also great - the sudden color change and different diction shocks the reader and really increases the contrast!

Oh yeah, and I think you mean you're "losing" your mind, two "o's" make the word "loose" which isn't quite the same thing. :-)

Great job as usual!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very lucid, descriptive, and absolutely alluring. I like the creative use of format and color to make the words pop. Very nice work.
Is England really that grey and decaying? LOL. Remind me not to go there. :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this very much...being stuck in grey England myself it was a charming splash of colour. I also like drums and rhythm...throw in a base guitar...push it along a bit and then the lead... Sorry, I am hijacking your drums! But drums are very, very evocative. And the exotic of Africa is far removed from grey Hertfordshire.

My last two dreams were of planes spiralling from the sky and of a severed head in the gutter (which I had to pick up and kiss!) NO colour in either dream and no drums! Sadly!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Their perfume wraps itself around my neck
Slowly choking me to a ecstasy driven death"

This line jumped out at me. It has great imagery, but I don't understand how the smell of wild flowers leads to death.

"Perhaps I'm going mad instead"
This line didn't ring true to me. Does a truly mad person contemplate her madness? And if a person has enough clarity to contemplate, could she be mad?
No, I think a sane person must worry most when she stops contemplating, when she has no outlets. A writer only goes insane when she stops writing, never before.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 2, 2008
Last Updated on July 17, 2008

Author

Emily Elizabeth
Emily Elizabeth

United Kingdom



About
He drew a circle that shut me out -- Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


good company good company

A Poem by Emily B