Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock

Chapter one


The crisp morning air was welcoming. Nyela stepped from, the overly decorated mansions doorway, dragging her latest victim into the awaiting carriage. It tore her apart to kill people like this, but it was this or be killed. The young woman did not want to face the queens firing squad. Not yet. She had too much at stake. She had been gone from her family for ten years, which alone would be tough on anyone. Many would abandon hope and live like others or be killed but not Nyela. As the future queen to her own kingdom Deltria, Nyela rose to every challenge.

News of her father's illness was spreading throughout the neighboring kingdom. His firstborn and only living heir had been missing for ten years. Things weren’t looking good. It pained Nyela to hear such things but she would be strong for her people.

No one outside of Queen Adrienna's court knew that the kingdoms most trusted assassin was their rival's daughter. Nyela was given a false identity by the queen, one which she thought to be absolutely ridiculous. She was known as Lady Darkness.

Nyela breathed heavily as she pulled the body up the cool marble steps. Grunting, she felt the weight shifting as the rope slipped through her fingers. Slowly but surely she dragged the body into the palaces throne room. The large white doors shutting behind her trapping her in with an audience of fifteen.

"Lady Darkness, did you bring me my royal adviser?"


Bowing deeply she smirked. She needed to pretend she liked it. She needed to play the part of the soldier they brainwashed her to be.

"Of course your majesty." She unwrapped the body and the court gasped. The Queen tutted as she circled the body.

"Such a waste. Thank you my dear,” the Queen said, “Go rest now. Who knows when I’ll need you next." She waved Nyela out of the room. Nyela bowed again before calmly striding out of the doors and to her room.

"Lady Darkness," the boy smirked, accompanying Nyela back to her room.

"Will you ever leave me alone Mason?" The girl asked, opening the door to her quarters. She turned to face him. It was her turn to smirk as she picked up the fire iron next to her fireplace and got into her attack position. Mason's sword was at the ready.

They began to dance around each other, he swiped at her feet. She jumped and went to strike but he blocked her, almost knocking the iron from her grasp.

After a few minutes they stopped, Nyela panted as she placed the fire iron on its hook.

"You're getting better," she commented, sitting comfortably on the lilac sofa.

"You're getting lazy," he replied, pushing her legs off the other chair so he could sit down. They sat  in silence for a few moments.

"Will you be hunting today?" Asked Nyela, playing with a thread on her hood. She felt sick every time a new group went out.

Hunters in the kingdom of Wiliona were a type of slave to the Queen. They were established thousands of years ago to hunt fae and bring their heads. Mostly the fathers or mothers of the human and fae half breeds.

Revenge was the motive behind this sport. Children who wanted justice for the pain caused by their faery parents. They were sent away almost as punishment to the fae for breeding with a human. Most children grew up to hate the fae part of themselves, opting to live like humans and thus the kingdom of Wiliona was born.

The only known half breed to stay in the neighbouring kingdom was Princess Nyela. Her heritage known to only the king and two trusted advisers, not even Queen Adrienna knew of it.

"Yes, tomorrow morning. News of the Queen's fifth cousin was reported on the outskirts of south Wiliona." He sighed leaning his head on Nyela's shoulder. She whispered words of support.

Soon enough the clock on top of the north tower chimed signalling dinner. Mason rose and bid Nyela farewell with a kiss on the cheek before leaving the comfort of her warm room.

It always pained her too see Mason leave. They found refuge in each other after they were both taken from a home they loved. Mason was the only one who knew of her Royal descent and he vowed to help Nyela get back to her rightful home.

A knock was heard and two maids brought in Nyela's dinner. As per orders given by the Queen, the Lady of Darkness was never to eat with the Queen, her servants, hunters or royal guards.

Loneliness was Nyela's best friend, aside from Mason. Left to her thoughts, she would scheme a way to save the Queen’s cousin before the hunters got close.

"Milady your dinner." The young girl bowed before retreating out the door with the older maid.

Sitting cross legged on the floor she began to eat and plan a meeting with Maverick Bowden, the queens second to last remaining fae heir.

She chewed slowly, tapping the fork against her thin lips.

How do I climb down the wall next to my window without falling to my death?



© 2018 Emma Hiscock


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It reads like a script i don't think that is a bad thing although game of thrones has been done lol

Posted 6 Years Ago


Emma Hiscock

6 Years Ago

I've never read game of thrones!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 7, 2018
Last Updated on March 7, 2018
Tags: Fantasy, Young Adult, Teen Fiction, New Adult, Fiction, Romance, Friendship, Mystery, Magical Realism.


Author

Emma Hiscock
Emma Hiscock

Melton, Victoria, VIC, Australia



About
20, Make-up Artist. Hi, I've been obsessed with reading and writing my whole life i hope you'll like some of the work i publish on here. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock