Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock

Chapter two

It was well past sun down when Nyela crept from her window and headed down the Marble wall. She got half way down before promptly falling. She landed on her knees with a thud. She groaned, quickly rolling behind a nearby bush. She thanked her lucky stars that it wasn’t far down as the royal guards passed her, bickering about who was stronger. She rolled her eyes slowly standing and creeping out of the bushes. Tucking a strand of raven hair into the hood of the purple cloak, she lifted the hood. It was a full moon on this cool night. A slight breeze swept Nyela’s face as she slipped through the palace gates.

The dim lights barely illuminated the barman’s face as he slid another drink to the older man; Nyela still nursing her first glass of wine was staring at him pleadingly.


“Sir, I know you think you’re untouchable...” She cringed as the Maverick slammed the glass on the counter.


“Think? I’ve been alive for well over two hundred years I can handle myself.” Scoffing at the girl’s foolishness he stalked to a corner booth and sipped his fifth drink of the evening.


Huffing Nyela set down her drink and picked up her turquoise skirt.


“I know that Maverick. but the weapons the queen uses... As soon as an iron sword strikes you, you will die. The queen will have your head,” Nyela said, taking a seat across from him. “You need to leave. Go back to Deltria, or sail to the northern plains - just anywhere but here.” The old leather seat dug uncomfortably into the bottom of her covered thighs. There was desperate look in her eye - Maverick could sense she wasn’t about to let him stay any longer.


Shifting uncomfortably, he studied the young girl. Her hair was around her shoulders and had been recently cut and there was a red scar running along her jawline. Despite her youthful appearance, she was hardened. Despite this, he could still sense warmth within her.


“Who are you again?” He questioned.


“Lady Darkness,” she spoke firmly, trying to find pride in the name given to her.


Maverick spluttered, standing abruptly.


“Why is the infamous assassin of Wiliona helping me? You’d be tried for treason if they knew!” He whisper shouted. The woman didn’t seem fazed by his statement.

“Let’s just say I have a vendetta against the Queen, but you mustn’t tell a soul I helped you,” her voice hardened, “or you will be nursing more than a drink.” Her threat was meaningless, but it had the desired effect as maverick gathered his things and followed the girl out of the Tavern.

It was raining by the time Nyela and Maverick reached the docks. Noblemen and slaves were piling onto four large ships.


“Safe travels,” Nyela said smiling softly as the man boarded the bejewelled ship.


“Thank you, I will never forget this kindness!” He shouted from the deck of the Alondra.


Pulling her hood tighter against her head, she sidestepped a running boy.  He was giggling; soaking wet as his mother scolded him and apologised. Nyela shook her head winking at the boy before dipping into the shadows and heading back to the castle.

Shouting could be heard from just outside of Queen Adrienna’s room. A guard and a hunter picked about who would dare wake the Queen from her slumber to deliver the news… The Doorway to Earth from Wiliona’s deepest forest had been opened before the upcoming winter solstice.


Nyela stood in the dark eyes wide as the men discussed the current situation.


How in the world could this happen? It hasn’t opened regularly in 400 years.


The tallest man drew the short straw as he knocked desperately on the door to the Queen’s chambers; slowly the door opened and there stood Wiliona’s Queen, her eyes tired but her head held high. Nyela could tell she was furious as the guard delivered the news.


“It has what!?” The shock was evident on her slim face, full lips curling into a snarl as she demanded all of her court to be awoken for an emergency meeting.


Retreating into her room, Nyela caught the tail of the queen’s red nightgown before the doors shut echoing through the now abandoned hallway. Nyela rushed back to her chambers. Flinging the door open she headed straight to her bookshelf looking for any book regarding the portals information and history.


If the doorway to Wiliona and Earth has opened so will have Deltria’s.






© 2018 Emma Hiscock


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on March 7, 2018
Last Updated on March 7, 2018
Tags: Fantasy, Young Adult, Teen Fiction, New Adult, Fiction, Romance, Friendship, Mystery, Magical Realism.


Author

Emma Hiscock
Emma Hiscock

Melton, Victoria, VIC, Australia



About
20, Make-up Artist. Hi, I've been obsessed with reading and writing my whole life i hope you'll like some of the work i publish on here. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock