Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock

Chapter five

Nyela just reached her quarters before falling into a heap on the floor; a sob escaped her as she sat on the carpet next beside the fireplace. The warm smell of the fire calmed her senses as she heard the door to her room’s creek open.


Mason cautiously moved towards her. She could feel the warmth of his body before he pulled her into him, caging her in a hug. They moved back and forth for a few moments before Nyela tugged away from his grasp, her eyes found his light grey ones, covered by his dark sandy hair. She smiled.


“We might have actually saved them Mason,” she spoke lowly, sniffling.


He handed her his handkerchief, “I think he did save them, the Queen seemed pleased with the idea, good point you made adding that the kingdom would be disgusted in her.” He noted, patting her shoulder.


The clock chimed for supper and the two stood. Nyela felt safe in Masons presence, not wishing him to leave.


“I’ll see you tomorrow for training, Lady Darkness.” Teasing her name was one of  his favourite things to do, apart from beating her in training.  


He had reached for door handle when she suddenly cleared her throat.


“Prepared to lose?” She quipped. He twisted to face her, a smirk returned to his handsome features. Winking playfully, he slipped through her doors.


Sighing Nyela pulled off her boots. What would I do without him? She thought falling onto her bed.




Nyela pivoted as Zeke’s blade skimmed her back. Panting heavily, she kicked his leg and he fell to the floor, positioning her sword above his face.  A whistle sounded signalling the end of their training so she followed Zeke as he retired to the edge of the arena. She took a seat on the ledge of the surrounding fence. She sipped her water gratefully as Mason and an older hunter stepped into the ring.


Hand to hand combat wasn’t Mason favourite, he often complained to Nyela that it took more out of him than fighting with a blade.  Another whistle rang out and they began to fight.
Nyela watched as Mason got the other hunter into a headlock. Both men were shirtless and she could see a few of the women in the room ogling the man fighting Mason - his name was Ethan and she had seen him around Zeke from time to time.


She wasn’t focused on him though. Sandy blond hair stuck to Mason’s neck as the Ethan, got out of his hold, twisting Mason’s arm, he kicked his feet out from under him. Mason fell to the ground grunting and Ethan landed on top of him trying to pin him down. Nyela’s breath hitched. Mason pushed himself up, his back muscles tensed, he strained as he pushed Ethan’s weight off of himself. Ethan fell and Mason took the opportunity to secure him to the dust covered floor.


The whistle sounded loudly, Mason had won… Again.

Mason stood gulping down his water; “Show off!” Nyela called, still sat on the wooden fence.


“Jealous Lady Darkness?” He mused, tilting his head with a playful smile that made Nyela’s heart skip a beat.


Smirking Nyela jumped down from her position and swaggered up to him.


“Are you challenging me Mr. Willigan?” Her brow raised lips curved slightly upwards at the offer. It been a while since the two had fought hand to hand.


“Oi, you two not today! We have scheduled partnerships remember?”  Captain Marston chided, ushering the two back to the sides of the ring.


Two new young men entered the ring. A tall boy walked hesitantly into the ring and Nyela’s eyes widened as she saw the human boy stand in the middle of the ring awaiting his opponent.  


“Surely they wouldn’t pair him with an advanced hunter yet?” Nyela whispered to Mason and Zeke who had stood beside them. Zeke looked angered as he replied.


“They aren’t meant to.” His eyes hardened. She turned to Mason who had the same expression.  


A much bulky man entered the ring after the boy. He would have been at least three years older than him. The stronger man began to punch away at the boy; he blocked a couple of shots before falling to a heap in the dust.


Zeke ran over helping him up, the older man took a strike at Zeke hitting him in his right eye. His hands raised to his eye immediately, before he was attacked again Mason stood in front of him. The other man picked up Mason and threw him into the fence. A broken piece ripped through Masons left shoulder and he yelled in pain. The man stalked up to where Mason lay and sat on top of him where he proceeded to punch his chest.


Nyela saw red; she picked up her daggers and rushed to Mason’s aid. Reaching the men, she positioned herself behind the attacker. She placed her both her daggers to his neck, Zeke and the boy watched carefully.


She leaned forwarded, resting near his ear, “keep going, I dare you.” She threatened, pushing the blades against his skin careful not to draw blood. “Behave, or you’ll find something in your evening broth.”


Her warning was heard clearly as he scrambled to get up before stalking off. The room had quietened.


“Shows over folks! I believe training is over! Wouldn’t you agree Captain?” She seethed raising her chin higher challenging anyone who disobeyed her.


The Captain nodded, shouting for everyone to go back to their other tasks train would resume tomorrow afternoon.


That’s what I thought.


A devilish smirk appeared on her face. No, she’d never tire of bossing the Queen’s Captain of the guard and hunters around.






Mason winced as Nyela careful kneaded the cool paste into his skin, “I wish you wouldn’t get so worked up,” sighing again, she laid a wet cloth over the reddened wound.


Mason hissed, “I know but he hurt Zeke, he’s like my younger brother, Ny. I couldn’t help it,”


“By only a year!” Exclaimed Zeke, coming into the room. His right eye was bruising quickly forming purple around the outer rim of his eye.


“Exactly! You could have been hurt worse,” Mason spoke through gritted teeth as Nyela placed another cloth over his chest.  


“So could you.” Nyela scolded tutting as she picked up more paste and smothered it over his left shoulder.


“I’m sorry Ny, Ze, I’ll be careful… I just couldn't stand it and that poor boy didn't deserve that beating.” He looked in thought for a moment and then smirked. “Unless I have to come to your aid, again...” Mason teased.

Zeke’s eyebrow shot up, dawning a smirk of his own, looking towards Nyela, “not if Ny has anything to say about that.”


Mason looked quickly to the woman beside him, her eyes had darkened. He gulped.


“I promise I won’t get into trouble, my lady,” he said truthfully in a playful tone. Unable to hide it, Nyela smiled while shaking her head.


“You’re done, be careful next time. You too Zeke. Now sit here so I can tend to that eye.” Nyela said. “Even though I don’t believe you should have done it, I’m very proud of both of you for sticking up for the boy.” The tone of her voice soft alluring, as Mason watched Zeke get paste dabbed carefully around his eye.


“What's his name again?” she asked as she never bothered to get their names. How foolish of her, she scolded herself as she waited for a reply.


“The boy’s name is Ryan, and the girl’s name is Alex.” It was Zeke who answered.


Nyela nodded and returned to her work on his face. Although Nyela trusted Zeke, she had never told him of her royal heritage. Having Mason know was already a risk, but he had proved himself time and time again that he wouldn’t betray her.


Her name to Zeke was just Ny or Lady Darkness, he had never put two and two together. Mason and Zeke vowed not to use Ny in public so the Queen continued to think the only name she had was Lady Darkness. Though the lost princess of the neighbouring kingdom was taken years ago, and the story was known throughout the kingdom, her name was never truly spoken in Wiliona. She was just known as the missing princess. Only Deltria knew of her name, praying the lost princess was alive and would return to her kingdom before he father’s death.  


Three days had passed. Three days and no news from Mason or Zeke on how Ryan’s training had progressed. The Queen had other ideas for Nyela - the past three days she had been out doing the Queen’s dirty work. She was summoned again that morning, this time she was to teach the girl how to test for poisons as she wasn’t performing well in hand to hand or sword fighting, blades didn’t seem to be her thing either. She did prove to be skilled with a bow and arrow. Impressed, Nyela made a mental note to train the girl more later on.


The Queen however had other ideas for the young girl; Nyela was to train Alex in poisons.
She walked slowly into a room in the east tower, it was a comfortable room. She was startled when she heard footsteps behind her she turned slowly - as hunters Alex and Ryan had been given freedom. Alex was unaccompanied. Nyela watched her walking in few seconds after herself.


“Hello, you already know who I am but I do not know much about you.” Nyela quizzed as they sat at the long table.


“My full name is Alexandria Callaghan.” She replied, her voice tense.


Nyela sighed. She didn’t know if she could trust the girl enough to bring out her own true nature. She put on the daily mask again, her face stern. She gestured to the table in front of her. Full of different colour vials, some bigger than others, some thicker in width.


“My objective today is to make you become familiar with the different poisons,” Nyela began.


“If I may ask why do I need to learn this? I understand that I’m not good with fighting but how will this help me as a hunter?” Confusion showed on Alex’s face.


“It won’t.” Nyela spoke carefully pausing a moment before continuing. “You’re going to be the Queens new Food taster.”


Shock arose on Alex’s face as Nyela watched her register the new information; she felt extreme pity for the girl.


How in earth’s name am I going to get her out of this situation?  Nyela frowned at the thought.


© 2018 Emma Hiscock


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on March 7, 2018
Last Updated on March 7, 2018
Tags: Fantasy, Young Adult, Teen Fiction, New Adult, Fiction, Romance, Friendship, Mystery, Magical Realism.


Author

Emma Hiscock
Emma Hiscock

Melton, Victoria, VIC, Australia



About
20, Make-up Artist. Hi, I've been obsessed with reading and writing my whole life i hope you'll like some of the work i publish on here. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Emma Hiscock