Chapter 2: My Step-fathers

Chapter 2: My Step-fathers

A Chapter by Erik Daniel
"

This chapter is about my step-fathers and what I went through with them

"
I never knew my biological father. But, I have had 3 step-fathers. The first one I didn't even know I had until a couple years ago. I have no memory of him at all. Apparently he was a really nice guy who got in with the wrong crowd and became addicted to drugs. So the marriage only lated a year before my mom divorced him. My second step-father was the one who I view as my father. My mom married him when I was around 7 years old and he also was very nice at first. He wasn't a very loving father to me or his two daughters that were around my age. Some days he would be a great guy and others he would be a jerk. He was abusive at times, to both me and my mom, verbally and physically. And he cheated on my mom. I believe the reason he wasn't the best father is because his dad never showed him love and therefore he just didn't know what it meant to be a father. He was also an alcoholic. My mom tried very hard to break him of it, which worked for a little while, but he eventually ran back to alcohol. While he was sober he also started going to church and tried to work out problems with my mom, but it didn't last long. My mom divorced him when I was around 11 and we moved back in with my grandparents. He died two months later in an accident related to alcohol. For a few years I remained without a father figure and started seeking it from older guys. Then when I was 16 my mom reconnected with an old high school friend online and 3 months later we moved out to Colorado and they were married. So, I now lived with a guy and two kids that I didn't even know. He was an extremely nice guy at first though. We hung out and I found myself opening up to him before I even opened up to my mom. When we went out there he had told my mom he was Christian and really seeking God, but we soon discovered it was a lie. Money problems started to develop with him and my mom and he became very aggressive. Though he was never physically abusive like my previous step-father he was very, very verbally abusive. He would shout nothing but hate at me and my mom to the point where my mom was almost always in tears. After 3 months she divorced him after he accused us of a bunch of things that didn't happen.
This is my story of my fathers. I no longer look for approval from older guys, but from my heavenly father. He has been more of a father to me than any one of my earthly fathers has ever been. And even though none of my step-fathers were good fathers I am glad they were in my life. From them I learned a thousand ways of how not to be a dad and I know that when I have kids I am never going to pass up the opportunity to tell them or my wife that I love them. And I know that God put them in my life to strengthen me and prepare me for my future as a father and leader.


© 2014 Erik Daniel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, I have no doubt that your experiences will make you a wonderful father. Sorry you had to go through this.... emotional piece x

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Touching and poignant. Also, heartwarming. I'm glad that people like you exist in our world. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Wow. Thank you so much! Means a lot!
Devesh

10 Years Ago

you're welcome! =)
You are rare because so many times kids in abusive situations become abusive because of the exposure to it. It's good to see you choosing to be the opposite. This is a very poignant write that tugs at the heart strings.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
This is such an inspiring piece of writing and I cannot wait for chapter 3. Good write :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Wow,your story comes from within and its really going to bless a lot of people by God's grace.....God is truly the best Father we can ever have....and with Him,we His children can overcome all things...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Amen! Thank you!
Erik thank you really for sharing the story even if it is sad, meant towards inspiring people to raise above their agony and hardship and to keep hope and faith as high as possible, considering your young age, it is even more harder same time more potential, good luck with everything

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Linda alexander

10 Years Ago

You most welcome, keep writing
This really inspires me... can't wait to read more :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Poignant tale however love the ending finally you found your peace in higher power..

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
8 Reviews
Added on February 18, 2014
Last Updated on February 18, 2014
Tags: Testimony, Story, Jesus, Porn, Suicide, Father, God, Step-Father, Salvation, Forgiveness


Author

Erik Daniel
Erik Daniel

Waterloo, IA



About
I've been using writing as an outlet for the stress and anger of life since I was a kid. More just freestyle or creative writing than anything. I let my feelings guide me more..

Writing
Strength Strength

A Poem by Erik Daniel


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Erik Daniel


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Erik Daniel