Chapter 5: My Walk With Christ

Chapter 5: My Walk With Christ

A Chapter by Erik Daniel
"

This is the part of the story where I talk about my walk with Jesus.

"
As I said earlier on in my story I grew up in a Christian home, so naturally every Sunday I was in church. I grew up hearing the stories of Jonah and the whale; Samson and his mighty strength and many other stories along with the miracles of Jesus. Seeing as how everyone I knew at this point in my life believed these stories; I too believed them. It wasn't until later on in my mom's marriage to my second step-father that I started to turn my back on God. I prayed every night for my parents to work out their problems and those prayers were never answered. I got baptized when I was 10 years old thinking that now I am one of God's children maybe he will answer my prayers, but still nothing. My fall started slow; I began by just talking to God less and less until I didn't at all. As I grew a little older I read back on all those stories of a loving God and wondered how a loving God could do this to me. Eventually me belief in him stopped. I stopped thinking before I did stuff and I did whatever brought me pleasure and I did anything that was considered rebellion. Shortly before we moved to Colorado I was starting to find God again. A couple older guys talked with me and I started praying again and trying to rediscover God. Then came the move to Colorado. At this point my hate for God returned. I was just starting to come back to him and now he took me away from everything familiar and moved me in with people I didn't know. Of course we started to go to church there too, but there was something different about my church in Colorado than my church in Iowa. People were close to each other and open about their struggles and were giving God all the glory at the same time. Eventually my mother forced me to go to the youth group there after I had fought her time and time again and thank God I did. It took me a little while, but soon I was opening up to them and sharing my struggles. I started to see God in my life again. I was cautious at first and didn't let him back into my heart right away, but the time came soon enough. I was home alone cleaning and listening to some music my new friends had recommended when I came across the song "Will You Save Me?" By The Birdsongs and when I listened to it it described every feeling I was having. I was overwhelmed and fell to my knees crying and asked God into my heart. As soon as I got up I switched to playing "Joshua" By Mattie Montgomery and it was like God was right in front up me speaking to me. Mattie was praying and declared freedom for those under the bondage of pornography and suicide (My two biggest struggles in life) and then said that he saw their purity setting a standard for a new generation. It was if God was saying,"You are free now. Those chains no longer hold you down. You are going to be a lighthouse to those around you." After this I started to get really involved in the youth group. I had a forest fire inside of me and wanted to shout God's word from the rooftops. Then my mom told me we were going to be moving back home to Iowa. I was pretty upset at first seeing as how I had made so many good friends here, but I trusted that God was taking us back for a reason. When we got back I immediately got involved with my old youth group and even started leading Guy's Discipleship. But, slowly I started to spend less and less time with God and my forest fire went down to a bonfire. Then he gave me the wake up call of rolling my truck two and a half times. Since then I have shared my testimony with many people and helped a lot of people grow in their faith and even brought a couple young guys to Christ and I am currently looking into becoming a youth minister or youth counselor.
     I now know that all those struggles I had in my past I went through for a reason. I can help people going through the same thing I went through. I know that he brought me to Colorado to prepare me to come back to Iowa and spread his word.
     This is the story of my walk with Christ. I hope in some way my testimony has helped you all. And if you read my story and are going through any of this or are curious about what it means to follow Christ I encourage you to message me. I am always more than willing to talk. Thank you for reading. God bless.


© 2014 Erik Daniel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thank you for how real and genuine you are. Only a small fraction of people could be as open about their past and struggles as you are. You really are a lighthouse to this generation! It really gets me excited reading how far people have come and how God is using their mess and turning it into a message (I'm sure I've said that before though xP). I, too, reallyyy want to become a youth leader when I grow up to younger girls! Sometimes it's so hard to wait to see what God's specific purpose is for me... but the waiting is preparation for the next chapter. This story was encouraging! Don't ever stop glorifying Jesus with your story to others :) It's beautiful!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Kelly!
Kelly M.

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome :)


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

It takes a lot to open up like that and let the whole world know your life and struggles. I think its wonderful what you are doing and wanting to help people. Even if your writing helps one person, it is worth it. Thank you for sharing and God bless you!

Posted 6 Years Ago


It is such an inspiration that you can openly share your story like this for the whole world to see. It's refreshing to see god working in your life in this way. Thank you for sharing!

~Stefanie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you Stephanie!
Thank you for how real and genuine you are. Only a small fraction of people could be as open about their past and struggles as you are. You really are a lighthouse to this generation! It really gets me excited reading how far people have come and how God is using their mess and turning it into a message (I'm sure I've said that before though xP). I, too, reallyyy want to become a youth leader when I grow up to younger girls! Sometimes it's so hard to wait to see what God's specific purpose is for me... but the waiting is preparation for the next chapter. This story was encouraging! Don't ever stop glorifying Jesus with your story to others :) It's beautiful!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Kelly!
Kelly M.

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome :)
I now know that all those struggles I had in my past I went through for a reason. I can help people going through the same thing I went through. I know that he brought me to Colorado to prepare me to come back to Iowa and spread his word.
Great and beautiful write with splendid inspiration, God made you little Jonah to save the youth of where you are serving, as a resourceful youth, fully enjoyed, cudos to you

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Linda!
Linda alexander

10 Years Ago

You most welcome, my pleasure
I know that I am repeating myself, but I think your faith is beautiful, Erik :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you Devesh!
Your an inspiration hun, keep up the good work :) x

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erik Daniel

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

320 Views
6 Reviews
Added on February 25, 2014
Last Updated on February 25, 2014
Tags: Testimony, Story, Jesus, Porn, Suicide, Father, God, Step-Father, Salvation, Forgiveness


Author

Erik Daniel
Erik Daniel

Waterloo, IA



About
I've been using writing as an outlet for the stress and anger of life since I was a kid. More just freestyle or creative writing than anything. I let my feelings guide me more..

Writing
Strength Strength

A Poem by Erik Daniel


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Erik Daniel


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Erik Daniel