A Girl

A Girl

A Story by ErinGreenway
"

Only princesses get happy endings.

"

There once was a girl who didn't mean anything to anybody.  Her classmates looked down on her and she never met her parent’s expectations at home. She never had the right clothes, was in the right sports, or said the right things. Her friends were not real, just people who pitied her.  She was alone in the world, no one but her own thoughts to keep her company.  The summer after sixth grade rolled around and she was tired. Tired of being the outcast, the leftovers, the person no one wanted. So she decided to become someone different. She vowed to become someone in middle school. It was her fresh start to be loved. So she planned and planned on how to change to be better. She shed her shyness and put on an outgoing air.

                Summer came and went and she was ready for middle school. The first day of middle school was the first day she had hope. She felt, no she knew, that here she could be noticed. She did not want to be popular, she had witnessed what happened to popular people, but she wanted people to remember her. She wanted them to remember the girl that just had something about her.  And so she continually put herself out there. Over and over she slowly gave away more and more of her smiles and happiness. But her plan was not working, instead of feeling loved she felt more unappreciated than ever. Instead of rethinking her plan, she worked harder than ever at getting people to notice her, particularly the boys. She just wanted to feel pretty and special.

                Seventh grade ended bitter sweetly. There were many great moments, but they were all followed by bad memories. She tried to push them out of her head but everybody knows that memories never go away. Once again she strived to become someone new and better for the following year. This year there would be no heartbreak, depression, or nasty friends.  She was going to be the heartbreaker and she was going to be the happiest, friendliest person there. Every day she told herself this and she began to believe it. But unsurprisingly, she succumbed to giving away all of her hope to everyone around her. The world became less and less hopeful as the days went by.  She began to feel as if the world was suffocating her, it was just too much to handle.  No one at school would be able to tell because she always put on a bright face.

                More than ever she wanted to be loved so she liked boy after boy, desperately hoping that someone would like her back. But it never happened. Everything was a lie and nothing lasted. She slowly began to cut herself from everyone. Never shared her real thoughts, no one would like them anyway she thought. So many people told her how pretty she was. Everyone wanted to be her when all she wanted was to be someone else. She felt buried down under 800 feet of darkness. There seemed to be no way out and she did not even know how she got there.

                There once was a girl who just wanted to be loved.  She wanted to feel special and treasured; wanted to be good at something, anything.  She wished on every star to be someone else, but it never came true.  Someday she’ll find out how wonderful she was all along. Someday she’ll feel happy and loved. Someday she tells herself. Someday. 

© 2014 ErinGreenway


Author's Note

ErinGreenway
Tell me what you like and what could use adjustments!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on October 14, 2014
Last Updated on October 14, 2014

Author

ErinGreenway
ErinGreenway

About
I'm just a zany chica living the weirdest life imaginable. Okay, maybe not the weirdest(hippies are pretty weird). Writing is my outlet to vent when my friends and family are sick of hearing me run my.. more..

Writing
Now Now

A Poem by ErinGreenway