Prologue: Interview with a Mage

Prologue: Interview with a Mage

A Chapter by Erin Winter
"

An intro into the magical world of my creation, placed for understanding.

"
Interviewer: Hello magical world of Magic. This is Tele V. Isor here with the world's youngest ever Mage, Tyler. Tyler is 16 years old and has received her mageship in the elemental field of magic, one of the most notoriously tricky fields of magic to master because of the differences between the elements. Tyler, how would you like to tell the viewers out there what it's like to be the youngest Mage EVER?

(A young lady fidgets uncomfortably on a stool and runs a hand through her wild dirty-blond hair)

Tyler: Well, Tele, I really don't like pointing out that I mastered magic at such a young age. I mean, it feels really conceited, kinda like saying hey, guess what, I'm a Mage at an age where most people don't ever know their specialty yet. It's also pretty cool, because it's just reassuring, almost, knowing that I have a place in the world. It can be weird training people a lot older than I am though.

(Tele V. Isor flashes another dazzlingly bright smile at the cameras)

Tele: Ah, yes! I heard that you and the newest Grand Master Wizard were assigned to a training post. Tell me, what is that like, you and the wizard. And your post as well, we mustn't forget that now.

(Tyler conjures a small ball of purple fire and begins tossing it back and forth, seemingly without noticing as Isor fidgets nervously at the sight of an open flame flying between her hands)

Tyler: Yeah, the wizard is my friend Cybill, and I think the only reason they put us together was because she can be a bit scatter-brained at times and we're supposed to be in charge of training people like us, I mean, people who want to go into the same field as we're in. I mean, she keeps losing her spoon, and she can't perform spells without it. I mean the last time- Well, what I mean to say is crazy things happen around us and we needed a place that was mobile and had a large laboratory and back-up generators in case of an *cough, cough* unexplainable meltdown. So, the Assorted Council of Magical Folks decided to give us the Lion-turtle post and kicked out all the potion-makers and enchanters so that we could go there.

(Isor is still nervously eying the purple fire)

Isor: So (gulp), do you want to say anything to those magicians?

Tyler: Would you rather a catastrophe happen in the middle of a crowded city with a bunch of mortals screaming bloody murder as we tried to fix the problem, no thank you.

(The ball of fire begins to change colors and flies around the room as if looking for something)

Isor: So, so, er, on to the subject of your familiar. What exactly is he? The reports all seem a b-bit, er, confuzzled.

(The fire begins to strobe brightly. Tyler notices and sighs)

Tyler: Blur is a shifter, able to take almost any form at will. He only changes form if I want him to do so, or if he's trying to protect me. They're really rare, just a step below changelings, really, only being unable to mimic the forms of bipeds. And Blur is the best of them. He may be able to turn into a dragon, but he's a puppy at heart. Cybill's familiar, William, he's way more fun to mess with. He's a-

(Loud voice with slight Vietnamese accent screams into life as the fire flashes into a miniature sun with each pulse)

Cybill: TYLER!!!! I NEED YOUR HELP!!! I TESTED TWO OF MY POTIONS ON WILLIAM AND HE TURNED INTO THIS ENORMOUS MUTANT MONSTER AND I NEED YOU TO COME HOLD HIM OFF WHILE I FIND THE ANTIDOTES AND I NEED YOU TO HURRY BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHERE I LEFT THE RECIPES AND BRING BLUR. BYE!!!

(Tyler sighs and extinguishes the flame while hopping on the back of a dragon that appeared out of nowhere while Isor cowers in fear)

Tyler: By the way, I did find all the stolen artwork and my furniture. When the magic cops get here, tell them I had to leave because of Cybill. They'll understand.

(Tyler flies off with dragon, tip of summoned staff glowing a fluorescent blue)

Sybill: YEAH!!! BEAT THAT WILLIAM!!!! TYLER, I JUST MADE HIM EVEN BIGGER!!! WHOOO!!! AND HE BREATHES FIRE NOW!!! WHOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

(A light blue nymph walks into the camera's view, a bright red smoke coalescing around her right hand, blowing away to reveal an ordinary looking bullhorn)

Emma: NO NEED TO BE ALARMED, THIS IS ALL PERFECTLY NORMAL AND TYLER WILL HAVE EVERYTHING FIXED IN THE NEXT TEN MINUTES. DON'T BE MISTAKEN THOUGH, SHE HAS NO INTENTION OF COMING BACK BECAUSE OF HER CRIPPLING STAGEFRIGHT. EITHER WAY, I'M GOING TO GO WATCH NOW. GOOD BYE.

(The changeling throws away her bullhorn and disappears, clutching a strand of what looks like purple beads. Tele V. Isor is huddled in the corner whimpering. A few minutes later, the magic police arrive and throw him into a dimension devoid of life. He is never heard from again.)


© 2014 Erin Winter


Author's Note

Erin Winter
Welcome to the intro to the world of Nessegattim. Don't worry, most of the stories won't be written as interviews, this was just made as an intro. Feel free to comment and, as usual, enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

320 Views
Added on March 17, 2014
Last Updated on May 5, 2014
Tags: Magic, Mage, elements, wizard, spoon, spells, shape-shifting, academy, Nessegattim


Author

Erin Winter
Erin Winter

Houston, TX



About
I'm just a new writer looking for something to help me get started. I have a lot of interesting ideas, influenced by everything from my friends to Doctor Who to Warehouse 13. This gives me a chance to.. more..

Writing