Sheliya

Sheliya

A Story by KayOss
"

This is a legend within the fictional world I am building for my second novel.

"


Thus was it once said:

     There lived in Denengar a lord whose heart had been hardened against his subjects.  He treated them terribly and did not listen to their needs.  Though his subjects entreated him, begging him to be kind and merciful, he did not listen.  So continued this tragic state of affairs for many seasons.

 

     Then one day a seer arrived.  This seer had foreseen the fall of the land if the lord did not change his ways.  It was not the seer's way to change things or to intefere, for meddling with the natural way of things was pure folly.  However, when the seer had glimpsed the lord, he had seen the potential for greatness.  He knew that there was a seed of goodness buried deep within the lord, which had only to be nurtured.

 

    Determined to offer the lord one chance at salvation, the seer made the journey from his home to Denengar.  He knew that the prince would never respond to any requests or heed any warning.  Thus, the seer disguised himself as a travelling dornye, or fool.  The people invited him into the palace eagerly, hoping some mirth would do the lord good.  The people desperately wanted to love the lord and only needed a chance.  They needed the lord to be all that they knew he could be.

 

    The seer, still playing the fool, performed in front of court for the benefit of the lord.  The lord appeared bored and disinterested.  Drawing up, the seer began to address the lord directly, pointing an accusing finger at him and saying: "is there nothing or no one in all the land that can please you, sire? Your people cry out for mercy, yet you pay them no more heed than you would an ant in your path.  Yet your people are as that ant - innocent and powerless under your rule."  At this, the lord frowned, which bespoke immense displeasure at the seer's words.

 

     The seer realized that he would have to be careful, yet speak plainly and honestly.  He addressed the lord solemnly.  "The people want to love you, lord. They do. Give them a chance.  Give them a real chance to love you... to please you."  The seer waited with bated breath, knowing that if his words displeased the lord, his life was forfeit.  However, the potential that he saw in the lord would allow him to do nothing less than to extend a chance for change. 

 

     The lord frowned, then locked gazes with the seer, who stoically held his ground.  "By all rights, you should be put to death for your insolence," the lord began. "However, I am in a pleasant mood today, so I will spare you. Let it be known that I do not back down from a challenge... especially one so insolently given."  The seer moved not so much as an eyelash.  "The person who can please me shall become very rich and very powerful indeed. Also, should I be pleased, I shall rain down many blessings and properity upon you all.  I shall reward every person in Denengar greatly."

 

     Everyone began to gasp and murmur at once.  This was too good to be true! To please the lord and thereby gain his favor.  What's more, that person would gain the favor of everyone in Denegar for all time, for he or she would be treated as a hero by the people.  The lord was handing the people a chance to be doubly blessed. 

 

     The lord held up a hand, which caused everyone to be silent.  "My benevolence is not without its risks, however. I give you the turn of four seasons to find one worthy of all I offer, else shall you toil all of your days in misery.  And you, dornye, shall pay for your insolence. Such is my command."

 

     Right away, the people set about trying to please the lord. Of course, the wealthy people sought to use their wealth to buy the lord's pleasure.  They held opulent feasts and balls in the lord's honor.  Some people drove themselves to ruin in a vain attempt to please the lord.  After one turn of the seasons, the lord ceased coming to these gatherings, which were becoming less and less opulent as more and more people were forced into debt in their attempts to be the one to please the lord.

 

     The seer grew increasing exasperated. Time was running out; something would have to be done soon.  However, the seer has interfered as much as he dared. He dare not do or even say anything more.  In fact, he dare not say the obvious: not even all the wealth in the world could buy happiness.

 

     The people had no more money to pursue this course of action.  Those with money left had wisely chosen to preserve it.  They sought instead to please the prince in another way.  They begin to parade the most lovely maidens in their midst before the lord.  "Perhaps," they thought, "the way to the lord's heart was through his bed."  Alas, it was well-known that in Denegar, most women possessed either beauty or brains.  Though over-burdened with beauty, they had nothing but fluff in their heads.  Those with brains were not generally known for their looks. It was unpopular to be intelligent if one were attractive; since no one cared what the unattractive ones did, it was safe for them to be as they chose.  As it were, the lord grew tired of them before long and commanded that no more maidens be brought before him. 

 

     The people began to panic.  Already, they had sought the lord's pleasure through the turn of three seasons.  They had exhausted their wealth to hold lavish feasts and balls.  They had offered their most fair maidens in the hopes that one would secure his bed and thus, his heart.  The people were at a loss.  What could please their lord?

 

     Through the turn of the next season, the people racked their brains.  Nothing they had done and nothing they could think of could please the lord.  Indeed, he was becoming increasingly dour by the people's attempts.  What would please any privileged youth seemed to have the opposite effect on their lord. 

 

     As fate would have it, the prince decided one day to go for a walk in his gardens to clear his head and dispel his foul mood.  The people had irritated him by offering him the choicest, opulent balls, and most of all, their unblemished women.  Did they see him as nothing more than a lazy, fat cad with nothing more than chaff in his head?  No one had ever simply talked to him or even deigned to ask him his pleasure.  It was what he had been waiting for.

 

    As the lord walked, a fine drizzle began, dampening his fine robes.  He cared not; he loved the feel of the rain against his skin.  As he approached a secluded corner of the gardens, he was confronted with a truly astounding sight: a slender sprite of a woman was dancing in the rain.  Her face was turned up, as though to greet the drops.  Her arms were outstretched; her rich, dark auburn curls tumbled down her back, hanging loose from the kerchief she wore.  He could hear her laughing in delight, the silvery sound of bells ringing.  The rain had dampened the simple shift she wore, making it cling to her every curve. He paused to admire the curves; he was of the mind that real women were very curvy and like any other man, he enjoyed the sight- and feel- of those curves. His gaze slid to her feet.  He was amused to see that she wore no shoes.

 

    She tilted her head suddenly, aimed a startled glance in the lord's direction.  She scrambled to get back to work, stumbling over half-uttered apologies.  The lord sought to soothe her, but nothing he could say would calm her.  She was totally flustered.

 

    In consternation, he began to dance in the rain.  Startled, she paused in her scramblings and stood to look on as the lord moved gracefully through the steps of the rain dance.  Suddenly, he tossed his head back and laughed gleefully, delighting in the dance and in the rain.  She began to move with him, to once again dance in celebration of the rain and the healing power of water. 

 

     After dancing for a while, the lord invited her to a bench, where they sat and rested.  They talked through the rain, exchanging stories of their lives and interests.  They had more in common than one would believe, given their statuses in life.  She did something that no other person could.  Simply by listening and by taking an active interest in the lord, she had pleased him.  He had secretly longed for someone he could speak with honestly and intelligently, but had been surrounded by people whose only care was to please him.  This negated total honesty, even if they were intelligent.  He felt that in her, he had found his match.

 

     He began to seek her out, to spend time with her.  In time, they were married.  As part of the wedding ceremony, she took a new name.  She became Sheliya, which translates as "the lord is mine."  The lord lived the rest of his days in bliss, completely content now that he had a companion with which to share his life.  The lord was also a man of his word.  His people lived in prosperity and were greatly blessed.

 

So it was said, thus it was.

 

 

 

 

© 2008 KayOss


Author's Note

KayOss
The language used, the formatting and even the font were deliberately chosen to add to the feel of this being a traditional story that has been passed on from generation to generation. It is part of the lore within the world of the novel I am writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very good. I would realy like to read the novel now! :) I thought it was very good. It did make it seem like a story that has been passed from generation to generation. I really enjoyed it and thought it was written very well. Thanks for sharing.

Elise

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 4, 2008

Author

KayOss
KayOss

Atlanta, GA



About
Word PowerJun 10, 2009 - Jul 14, 2009 more..

Writing
Yesterday Yesterday

A Poem by KayOss


Autumn Rose Autumn Rose

A Story by KayOss