Lighthouse in the Distance

Lighthouse in the Distance

A Chapter by Evil_Angel
"

Lil bit of symbolism for Hallie and Davids relationship, and the failed one with Christian.

"


As Hallie approached the dock she could see David waiting at the on-deck bar of his forty foot yacht. Well technically it wasn�t his yacht, it was his parents, but they let their only spoiled child use it however he pleased. The yacht stood out from the other boats on the dock. It was the tallest one there, with a ostentatious red �Larissa� painted on the side, done by Mr. Carrington himself.

At night the boats automatic lights turned on, as if there was a 24 hour party going on even if no one was there. The Larissa was really quite spectacular, and had been placed first in the yacht shows Mr. Carrington would enter them. Sadly that was the only time he ever used it, besides for a few lavish parties here and there, but in the summer David would often take it around the Santa Monica bay, sneaking sips of beer out of the coast guards sight, while Hallie tanned on the top floor.

Right now it would be impossible to tan in the dreary weather, but when Hallie text David on her phone to meet earlier than planned, he was already at the yacht, the place he always went to reflect on things. Some people went on yacht�s some people went back with their ex�s. Go figure.

�Hey babe,� she greeted stepping onto the boat. She took down the hood around her head allowing her freshly straightened hair to fall out onto her shoulders and joined him on the barstool next to him. It was just starting to rain but they were covered by the second story of the yacht.

�Hi,� he answered barely acknowledging her, and continued to stare out at the sea.

She knew his New Years Eve forgiveness for her would only be temporary, that without champagne he wouldn�t so easily forget about what she did.

�What are you doing?� Hallie asked knowing it was probably time for more fighting. She couldn�t blame him, but she just wanted to get it out of the way.

�Nothing, just thinking. I thought you were getting your nails done or something?� he said looking at her still chipped nails from December as hard evidence.

�It ended early.�

�How come?�

Hallie looked away, and David noticed her searching for a legitimate reason, her blue eyes standing out from the grey sea.

�What happened?� David persisted.

�The girls were just talking about everything that went on. It�s really no big deal-�

�Then why did you leave? What were they saying?� he hastily interrupted.

�They were saying stupid stuff, how I shouldn�t have let Christian go and all this junk. I got sick of hearing about it so I left,� Hallie admitted, quickly regretting it. After cheating she decided that from here on out she�d be completely honest with David, apparently that included details on girl talk. Bad idea.

�Who said that? That bimbo Kristin?�

�Don�t call her that! She was just giving her honest opinion.�

�Well I want to know who said that to you!� he said nearly shouting.

�All of them except Julia,� Hallie finally admitted to appease him.

�So even Abby said it?�

Hallie nodded, remembering how she snapped at her earlier. It was hard to feel guilty about the whole situation with David investigating her the way he was.

�You know? I blame your dishonesty on your friends.�

�You what?� Hallie exclaimed. She hadn�t seen that coming.

�Well I�m sure your friends knew about Christian before I did. Who knows they probably encouraged it, just like they are now!�

Hallie thought about it for a moment. She knew she couldn�t just blame her friends for what she did, but thinking back to the nail shop she remembered how frustrating it was to have them tell her what she should do with her love life.

�Just think about it. They are all single and lonely, they were probably jealous of our relationship,� David reasoned.

�Well what exactly are you saying then?� Hallie inquired. What did he want her to do? Quit being friends with them? Set them up on random dates so they�d all be in relationships?

He did have a point though, all of her friends were single except for her. Maybe it just seemed okay to cheat since she was always around girls who dated several guys at once. Maybe just being in that �single� environment was why she did it. Or at least part of why she did it.

�I�m saying that even though we nearly broke up, I still think we should move in together.�

Hallie�s arched eyebrows raised all the way up her forehead. That was the last thing she expected him to say. Move in together? It hadn�t even been a week since she cheated.

�Yeah, I think it�s a great idea. You are in that huge three story house with just Abby, why not get a smaller place with me? We could get a condominium by your school. I think we will grow closer from it.�

Even though the boat was parked, rough waves from the storm slammed against the bottom rocking it back and forth. Hallie shifted in the bar stool so as not to topple over.

�Look, it�s just something to think about. What do you say we take her around a little bit? Not too far out or anything,� David offered untying the Larissa off the dock to face the turbulent water.

�Are you insane?� she asked looking at the stormy mess.

�Just out to sea and back, it won�t be a big deal,� David assured.

It was true that David knew more about boats than Hallie, but as David started up the yacht she hoped she wouldn�t have to reenact Titanic. Once they pulled out of the dock they slowly set sail against the current. They were weren�t even out of the bay when the waves riveted against the fifty foot boat causing it to rock in a very seasick inducing manner.

�So what do you think about moving in with me?� David called over the wind.

�I- I don�t know. I mean maybe,� Hallie stammered trying not to hurl.

�Either you want to or not. If you don�t want to take the next step then we should just end it!�

�I don�t want to end it!�

�Then move in with me!� David said steering the boat hard against the waves.

�It�s too stormy! Can we go back now?�

�Not yet Hallie. We can do this, we�ll make it,� David said determined to get all the way out to sea.

�We can�t make it,� Hallie said out of breath with fear. The waves nearly sprayed to the top floor of the yacht as Hallie clung onto the side of the bar like an alcoholic told they were cut off from having anymore drinks.

�Yeah I guess your right, the current is too much even for a superior boat like this,� David agreed.

�Lets just go back to my house. We�ll talk about moving in some more,� Hallie smiled fearfully through the mist patting his shoulder thankful they were finally leaving.

As David messed with the controls to get back, Hallie could see a light through the dark gray haze of the storm. It seemed to be flashing in a circular motion, then Hallie realized it was the daunting lighthouse that she always dreamed about. It seemed so long ago since she even thought about the place again, with everything that happened.

�Alright we�re almost back,� David announced. Even though they weren�t that far out, it was so foggy to even see the dock, yet that damn light from several miles away relentlessly shone across the water from the other side, as if they were going the wrong way, even though they were safely now pulling into the dock.

�Lets talk about what we both need to do so we can live together, I mean if things go well the next step is to get married,� David shrugged casually.

She gulped with what he said, but nodded in agreement ready to get home and out of her soaking wet clothes.

As they drove back to her house the lighthouse became further and further away, and even the brilliant beam couldn�t be seen through the clouds anymore. She knew once she moved in with David she would be leaving it behind. Hopefully with out it, she could find her own way. Lost out at sea forever, William Fenris would just have to fend for himself.















© 2008 Evil_Angel


Author's Note

Evil_Angel
I know a little bit about boats, but not much lol, so feel free to correct me about anything.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow, I love it.. its been awhile since I've read your stuff.. sorry about that. But the imagery is great. I was so surprised at David's reaction to her unfaithfulness.
Great write!! :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Best chapter! Nice

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ehy the lighthouse in like the first chapters i remeber it!!!! Thats pretty cool that you brought it back nice work

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The lighthouse! The dimming of the light and perhaps becoming lost. Very nice!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

614 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2008


Author

Evil_Angel
Evil_Angel

San Diego, CA



About
Sunset Fire is #2 most read book on here! Woot! Lets101 Quizzes - Blog Quiz Which Disney Princess Are You?AuroraYou're a tired old thing aren`t you? We first came under Aurora`s spell in Sleep.. more..

Writing
Happy Birthday Happy Birthday

A Chapter by Evil_Angel


Long Gone Long Gone

A Book by Evil_Angel



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..