THE MACHINE

THE MACHINE

A Poem by DrD

I played the old answering machine

Over and over

Just to hear your voice

The words weren’t important

It was your voice

And I smiled with the sound

Imagining you calling from the kitchen

And then

The moment came back to my face

And I was alone with a machine

A memory machine

Born of a cruel inventor

© 2014 DrD


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Commenting on this, knowing I've intruded on a deeper moment, if only to offer respect to it's Author for sharing. I haven't peeked around too much, but I hope you've been busy writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Cruel perhaps, but then again, would you rather the silence?

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


DrD

9 Years Ago

Thank you Beccy. I appreciate your visit.
I have done this exact same thing. I have also used the machine to break up with people - I know this is a tacky and disrespectful thing to do, but I avoid confrontation like the plague. This is something I think most people can relate to.

Posted 9 Years Ago


DrD

9 Years Ago

Thanks for coming by, Audie. I appreciate your visit.
This is so true either, I feel the pain of missing this loved one, through your words, and how weird, it is, those machines, do bring voices back, if we think about it, it's just a sound in various time... sigh, nicely penned, I am touched by this.

- Elisa

Posted 9 Years Ago


DrD

9 Years Ago

And I am touched by your visit. Thank you dear friend.

9 Years Ago

The pleasure is all mine, I try to come by more often as much as I can! :)
I find this beautifully and so soulfully penned..You have arranged your words in a lovely way..great job

Posted 9 Years Ago


DrD

9 Years Ago

Thank you. You're most kind.
Sad ending. Good one doc........

Posted 9 Years Ago


DrD

9 Years Ago

Thanks a lot BR
I remember a mother who lost her son on one of the planes on 9/11...she had his voice on her answering machine, moments before the plane crashed. I can't imagine hearing someone's voice like that, over and over again...how heart breaking, and comforting it would be at the same time.

You made something tangible out of something tragic, David...quite lovely, I'd say.



Posted 9 Years Ago


DrD

9 Years Ago

Thanks Kelly, as always, I appreciate you and your kind reviewsx.
This was so beautiful.......I remember a voicemail left by my fiancée that I played and replayed after his death. Then the messaging system changed the format and listed it as an expired message it was gone just like that.......I had been decieving myself like he was just away for work.....I felt he passed all over again....I was broken until I realized that I had been given just a little more time to accept my reality and somehow I knew that it was so like him..to comfort and push me on, whether I liked it or not. Thanks for the amazing write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


DrD

9 Years Ago

We are indeed spirits somehow akin in experience and interests. I so appreciate you and your wonder.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

353 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2014
Last Updated on June 30, 2014

Author

DrD
DrD

A suburb of heaven, Mexico



About
I'm just a guy living in Mexico. I am the author of SMITH COUNTY JUSTICE (horribly over priced) and some other books you can find in my photos. or at my website: http://auth18.wix.com/david-e.. more..

Writing
THE DRESS THE DRESS

A Poem by DrD



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..