The Traveling Circus

The Traveling Circus

A Story by astoundinglyattractive

It was on a bright, starry night that the traveling circus rolled into town. I remember myself as a six year old, watching from my bedroom window at the flashing lights and signs. “Daddy,” I had said, “What is that?”

“Why, honey, that would be the traveling circus.”

“What's a circus?”

“It’s something that happy families go to. There are acts of entertainment, snacks, fun, friends, and laughs.”

“Hmmm…. What kind of acts, daddy?”

“The kind that make you gasp in amazement, or laugh because it’s so funny.”

“I wanna go, daddy.” I look up at him with big, pleading eyes. Little did I know about his childhood or my future. I barely understood the present, and hardly the past.

“Oh, no, sweetheart. We don’t belong there.”

“Okay.”  That night, I dreamt of laughter, yummy snacks and funny acts. A swirling of my imagination fed me new ideas and possibilities. All these things I could do if I went to the circus, the happiest place on earth. My last dream before I woke up was of a little girl. She was standing outside tents with laughter and glee inside them, she slowly rose her hand to pull one of the flaps back and look inside. I woke up right then, and tried to imagine what the girl saw- yet, I couldn’t. there was so much mystery, and I wanted to know.

Me and daddy, we didn’t talk about the circus at breakfast, or when he dropped me off at school. And he didn’t mention it when he picked me up and we went to McDonalds for supper. Why doesn’t he want me to go to the circus? I really couldn’t understand it. So I decided I would just go by myself and find out.

I snuck out in the dark. I had never been out alone before. But I wasn’t scared. I was going to the circus. I listen for the music and laughter, and I looked for flashy lights. I got lost in the alleys, for I had never been in this part of town. But somehow I happened upon the circus, in all its glory. A large tent before me, a cool breeze through my hair, my hand slowly raising to pull back a flap…

I saw the people sitting. Mommies and Daddies and brothers and sisters. So that’s why we don’t belong here. Daddy says when brother was born, him and mommy had to go to a better place. Why didn’t they take us? Then we could all go to the circus together. I peeked in a little further, and was shocked to see a man with two lions. They were big and mean looking, growling deeply. I was scared, so I turned to run. But something was there that I bumped into, and it pulled me into a close hug.     

“Narra.”

“Daddy.” I just stood there, crying in his arms, until he picked me up and carried me home. I                                                                                                                                                        never really understood what happened that night until I was older. I never really understood about mother and brother. I never understood why a family like us didn’t belong at the circus. But I think I do now. Yes, now I understand it all.

© 2011 astoundinglyattractive


Author's Note

astoundinglyattractive
This never really happened to me, true, but i think that it has meaning.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awww... :'(

I like this a lot!! Very believable POV as a little kid, and I like the dialog and thoughts.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 4, 2011
Last Updated on February 4, 2011

Author

astoundinglyattractive
astoundinglyattractive

Six Feet Under, OH



About
Name: Elisa Age: 16 Gender: Female Height: 5'6" Country: America Sexuality: I like to consider myself a freelancer. Personality: I used to have one, but I think I lost it somewhere. I enjoy: d.. more..

Writing