Love: A Short Narrative

Love: A Short Narrative

A Story by astoundinglyattractive

Love.

What does love mean to you?

If I were to ask of you, the definition of love, what would you tell me? Would you express it as a complete devotion to something? Would you confide in me that it was painful, or maybe wonderful? Addictive? Frightful? Horrid? Amazing?

Beautiful?

I always loved the rain, you know. It could be the fact that I'm alone, and that it reminds me of my tears. I could claim my love for rain is due to my longing for life. Or maybe it's just because I'm a hopeless romantic. But, explanations aside- for there really is no call for them- rain fills me with awe. I have this overwhelming feeling in my chest, bursting forth in the one form of happiness I know.

I don't know what it was that compelled me, that second Saturday in April, to venture out into the pouring rain. It was this unexplainable need to be outside, to feel cool drops of water embracing my skin. Though it was dawn, and it was chilly, I didn't want to wear a coat- or shoes for that matter. My simple nightgown seemed to be sufficient, in my twisted reality.

As I ventured out into the lonely first light, my vision hazed by the gentle shower, I felt something like a wall hit my chest- making me gasp. The ground was soft beneath my feet as my toes slipped across the grass, taking me to the only place they knew. 

A small creek, a little nook, a beautiful corner of the universe. Pure water flowed quickly off small stones, as fragile sapling branches skimmed the water, drifting softly in the cool breeze. My toes dug themselves into the slightly muddied bank, as I deeply inhaled, taking in the world. Every piece of nature seemed to be alive, sneaking their way into my soul, touching my conscience. My hair clung to my cheeks, dampened by the rain, and my wet nightgown blew behind me.

The minute sounds of birds drifted into my ears, making my heart soar out of this world. I took a step forward and allowed the sharp chill of the water to rush over the tips of my toes. Three more steps and I was standing in the middle of the creek, wet rocks beneath my feet and freezing water just above my ankles.

What I thought was rain on my face- or maybe a splash of mist from the creek- I quickly recognized as tears. Surprised by this, as I was not used to crying, I lightly brushed my cheek with my fingertips and lifted my head to catch sight of a bird flying above me, it's wings brushing the clouds.

I was dizzy, suddenly, and I needed to… sit down. And it wasn't for a few minutes that I realized I was still in the water. But, for some reason, that didn't seem to matter. The smile on my face contradicted the tears in my eyes as I watched the sky, slight rays of light escaping the clouds- giving them the most beautiful pinkish hue I had ever seen.

I felt something moving inside of me, rumbling like a volcano about to erupt. I couldn't comprehend this feeling; it was something I had never experienced before. I wanted to dance, and laugh, and sing along to the sound of beauty. 

And I did.

Water splashed around my calves as I sang myself a waltz, twirling in my own time. Gay laughter escaped my lips, as a mystical mist surrounded me. I was so… happy.

That feeling, that rainy second Saturday of April?

That's how I would describe love.

That unexplainable joy, that unfathomable beauty that just grasps your heart and softly embraces it… 

That's love.

That smile that you can't hold back.

That song that you can't help but sing.

That unquenchable desire to dance.

That's love.

It can't be helped, that the rain induced that feeling in me- after all, I am a romantic. And the mystery, the other-worldliness of rain, well…

But I digress.



Love.

That feeling, that rainy morning.  It's the only thing I could claim to be the definition of love. A cosmic feeling; a feeling that cannot be grasped by the mind, or explained in words. A cool mist, a stroke of white paint across a blank canvas. It cannot be seen, grasped, captured, analyzed. Love is confused. Love is noetic. Love is so pure, so clean, and so beautiful. Flowing. Gorgeous. Honest. Gentle. Kind. Poetic.

And I… I never thought I would- never thought I could- love anything or anyone. 

But, then again, I never thought I would cry for anyone but myself.

And it's time I come to terms with myself.

I find myself crying for you.

Wanting to protect you from all the pain the universe has descended upon you.

Wanting you to hold me in your arms. Wanting the soft brush of your lips against mine. Wanting to know that after every bad thing life threw at me, you would be there- my constant pillar, my gentle second half. 

And like love, that's a feeling I cannot even begin to comprehend.

So I guess that means…



I guess that means I love you, doesn't it?

© 2012 astoundinglyattractive


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this because you dissect the simple notion of love to an amazing degree. You dissect and inject feeling and I can see that you are really connecting with what you are writing. The way this piece is worded is different from the other piece of yours. I really like the versatility of your writing.
This is a very real cool piece :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really like this. :) I can definitely relate to the character.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 29, 2012
Last Updated on April 29, 2012
Tags: love i you need sorry confession

Author

astoundinglyattractive
astoundinglyattractive

Six Feet Under, OH



About
Name: Elisa Age: 16 Gender: Female Height: 5'6" Country: America Sexuality: I like to consider myself a freelancer. Personality: I used to have one, but I think I lost it somewhere. I enjoy: d.. more..

Writing