One More Night

One More Night

A Story by Emma Lee

          We ran low, as to not be seen by anything in the air. We ducked into an old gas station that had long been cleaned out by rouges. I stumbled into a smaller back room, that once served as an office. I fell back against the wall, panting.

          "We should be safe in here." He replied, peeking out of the window, "And I don't think anything saw us." He dropped down on the floor next to me and stretched out his legs. He stared at his feet, not wanting to speak the obvious. I knew what he was thinking, and I'd have to be the one to say it.

           The world was ending, and we all knew it. The countries were at war with themselves. Everyone wanted to be the biggest and the best, while the smaller countries were turned to ash for being in the way. So far, everyone was just killing each other. Planes often flew over cities, bombing them without thinking twice. Sometimes, countries sent their armies into a city, and told them to just kill everyone off.

             We were once part of a bigger group, just trying to survive. The hideout we were staying in ended up being bombed and only a few of us got out alive. I flinch at the thought of what happened to the others who got out. They didn't listen, they thought they were safe. We've been looking for a place to hide ever since, with nothing but each other and the clothes on our backs.

             "This is it, isn't it?" I asked, looking over at him. A sliver of light came through the old blinds and light up his dark features.

            "I hope not." He looked at me, an uneasy smile crossing his face, "We'll be fine, we just have to stay low and out of sight until we can meet up with more people or find some supplies."

             "I hope you're right." I muttered, slumping against him. We had been friends for two years before this whole thing happened, and I've never felt closer to another person.

            We both ducked down, and froze, hearing the sound of a bomb being dropped near-by. I began to panic, "We need to get out of here! They'll-" He cupped a hand over my mouth, lifting his head up to glanced out the window behind us. I could hear the sounds of the plane. It was getting closer and I started to freak out. I whined behind his hand.

           It was over us, I could hear the sound of the engine roaring in my ears, "It's clear! Let's go!" I heard a deep voice holler and slowly the sound of the roaring plane drifted into the distance.

           His hand slowly came away from my mouth when he realized that I had stopped freaking out, "You need to relax." He breathed, "If they know there's no one in here, they wont drop a bomb on it, right?"

           I nodded, pushing myself up so I was sitting normally. I crossed my legs under neither myself and turned to face my partner in crime, "Can I tell you something?"

           He shrugged, resting his head against the wall, "Shoot."

          "Well, I kinda... Uhh..." I rubbed my face, not able to say what I wanted, "Errrm..."

           The sound of a plane roared up again and we both turned to look out the window. I could see the plane, it was a huge war plane, outlined against the dark sky. It had a claw coming out of the bottom, with sometihng in the claw. Realization hit me like a ton of bricks and I turned to look at him. He was staring out the window no emotion on his face. He knew.

           I scoot closer, chewing on my bottom lip, "We have to get out of here..." I whispered, panic rising in me again.

           "We wont have enough time." He muttered softly, "That thing can take out the whole city." He turned his head to look at me. This was the end and we both knew it.

           I held my arms out and shifted to hug me. I slid my arms around his neck and hid my face, "This can't be." I muttered and his grip on me tightened. I shifted, pulling back, with my arms still lazily around his neck, "This can't be..." I whispered, feeling the panic shake my body.

          "I wish it wasn't." He replied, his voice low as the sound of the roaring plane got closer. This was it, the last few moments of our lives.

           "I love you." I muttered, pulling myself back into his arms and pressing my lips to his.

                      The end was fast. A flash of white. A loud noise.

       No pain. Just love.

© 2012 Emma Lee


Author's Note

Emma Lee
A little sotry based on a dream I had about my crush.
Plase, point out typos, I'm too lazy to edit.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
wow, excellent work. I could actually feel the fear that the characters were feeling when they knew that they were gooing to die soon. When i first started, I was thinking of skipping it and going to the next story, but you did a good job of keeping me interested, so I kept reading. :) And no typos that I noticed. I'd double check, but I'm also too lazy to edit your work. :p

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 9, 2012
Last Updated on January 19, 2012

Author

Emma Lee
Emma Lee

I live in a constant state of anxiety, MN



About
I have a lot of f*****g conflicted feelings more..

Writing