Last Dance

Last Dance

A Story by Anne Shirley

Last Dance

Years ago…

It was one sunny day. I could not think of anything but to dance in the garden. Even though the heat of the sun may burn my delicate skin, I did not stop.

“May I dance with you, fair lady?” asked a husky voice from behind. I looked behind me and was taken aback to see my dear twin brother.

“Oh my,” I gasped. “Is it you? Is it really you?” I said as I touched his face.

He suddenly embraced me, and whispered into my ears, “Did you miss me?” These words brought a smile to my face.

But what I did not know then, is that he’ll [soon] be gone for good.

“Brother, tell me… tell me all about the war?” I asked curiously.

“There’s nothing good about the war, dear,” he said as he let go of me and looked intently into my eyes.

My twin brother was a brave soldier… and I was nobody… My brother would not even let me go out of this dull mansion that our parents left for us. He said it was too dangerous out there, so I would always spend my day picking flowers, dancing in the garden and even reading books. It was all done in the mansion.

“Oh, my dear brother, how are you? You’re not injured, are you?” I asked.

“Ugh!” he groaned as he held tightly on to his hips, blood was forming on his clothes, and out of shock I became paralyzed.

That day, everyone became busy. Everyone panicked here and there.

I woke up the next day, and found myself pitiful. I could not walk. I could not speak.

‘Oh, my dear brother,’ tears formed in my eyes, making them unable to see. I cried and cried until one of the servants saw me with tears also on her face.

“My lady, your brother…” she said. “Come, my lady.” She then carried me to my brother’s room.

She opened the door and I saw the servants and our personal doctor. They were all crying. My brother has gone pale.

“Elizabeth, come closer.” I was surprised at what he called me; he never called me by my name before.

My servant carried me closer to him, and made me sit on his bed.

“My dear sister…” he said, placing his hand on my head. I lied down on his chest and heard his heart beating. “I do not wish to leave you behind, but I can’t do that. The Lord holds my life and He may take it whenever He pleases,” he said.

Tears ran down my cheeks continuously.

‘If you ever see mother and father, will you embrace them for me?’ was what I wanted to tell him.

“I will tell mother and father how much you’ve changed into a beautiful princess,” he said. “It’s too bad that I wasn’t able to dance with you for the last time.”

“Do you want me to hum your favorite lullaby?” he asked. Of course I wasn’t able to answer but he did anyway. I fell asleep and so did he.

The present…

Today, I sat on my wheelchair, wondering about.

“Wi…will you ta…take me… to the ballroom,” I said to my servant behind me.

Ever since the death of my dear brother, this mansion became as dull as ever.

Passing through every room which has not been opened for many years felt almost as if we’ve died with him.

As we entered the ballroom the servant turned on the lights while I stood trembling.

I have been practicing my walking, and I wished this time I could walk.

Miraculously, I was able to walk again. Then I curtsied and started to dance. I closed my eyes and imagined my brother dancing with me.

All of a sudden I felt as if someone was dancing with me. Its hands were so cold. But what surprised me more is when it suddenly hummed my favorite lullaby. I thought it sounded like it was my brother. When I opened my eyes, it was he dancing right in front of me. He smiled and said in a whispering voice, “Did you miss me?”

“I did,” was all that I said.

“I missed you too,” he replied.

He then gave me a kiss on my forehead I closed my eyes. I felt his cold lips pressing against my forehead. When I opened them again, he was gone. He left a paper on the floor, written on it was:

DEAR SISTER, THANK YOU FOR DANCING WITH ME FOR THE LAST TIME.

© 2009 Anne Shirley


Author's Note

Anne Shirley
You might have noticed that I'm not really good at descriptive writing... But I'll do my best to please you all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
Added on November 19, 2009
Last Updated on December 23, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

Anne Shirley
Anne Shirley

Manila, Philippines



About
I love reading book, but I hate school books... I really wanted to be a writer someday; So I read a lot of books to improve my English, by the way I'm a Filipino; and I'm proud of that. I wish som.. more..

Writing
Hell Hell

A Story by Anne Shirley