In Walked The Angel

In Walked The Angel

A Story by Ian Lundin
"

Just a short excerpt from the mind of me.

"

And there she was. Suddenly, four long years after she'd walked out of his life altogether, there she was. Standing in the doorway, with her boyfriend of over a year. There she was, making her entrance into the party. He stared. Wide eyed as a child who bears witness to something incomprehensible. The look on his face was somehow akin to panic, shock, awe, and wonderment, all in the very same moment. A war within a breath, he searches for an exit. His eyes dart around the room, while his mind quickly probes for a course of action to be taken. For years, he has had so much to tell her. And, suddenly granted what would likely be the only opportunity in his life to actually speak his piece, he found himself completely lost for words. He caught himself staring. Shaking his head, he narrows his eyes from the wide-eyed stare of a moment prior. He was still staring. He couldn't seem to pull himself away, much as he knew he must. For his own sanity if not simply to save face. He draws his attention to the minibar, then back to her, then to the back door, and again his eyes fall on her. As she makes her way from the doorway, he is cornered. In moments, she will be upon him and he will have to sustain the awkward silence that has divided them for years. Years which felt more like millennia. Or, he could speak. If only he could find his voice. It was lost amidst his hurricane of thoughts and emotion. His Love, his loss, his memories, his realizations. Her decision. It had been so backwards. She had left him, yet she was the one who cried as she left. Not that his time wasn't to come, but as completely disenchanted as she was; still her tears fell for him. He knew what he had to do. He had to make peace, if only for his own sanity. This demon needed to rest, and damned be the consequences. He had to apologize, but still his voice evaded him....

© 2008 Ian Lundin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

There she was, making her entrance into the party. He stared. Wide eyed as a child who bears witness to something incomprehensible. The look on his face was somehow akin to panic, shock, awe, and wonderment, all in the very same moment. A war within a breath, he searches for an exit.

You described this reaction so perfectly. I liked this, the panic and the racing thoughts and the whole piece. It seemed so real and was well written. My only advice would be to possibly break this up into a few paragraphs for ease of reading. Great piece though and welcome to the Cafe.

~Stephanie

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Added on May 7, 2008

Author

Ian Lundin
Ian Lundin

South Lake Tahoe, CA



About
Writing is like a one way window. You open the blinds but you still can't see out, even though the whole world can see in. It's the ideas that I can't yet express that drive me forward. Someday I hope.. more..

Writing