The Battle for Gun Wrongs

The Battle for Gun Wrongs

A Story by Le' Pugh'

www.fracturedrepublic.com

  

Hooray!!!

5 Supreme Court justices voted that owning a handgun is alrighty with them!

Two problems… the first is the count was 5-4 in favor of gun rights. A little too close for my taste.

The second is… How in the crap is the second amendment up for debate in the first place!!!

This is being called a landmark decision by most news agencies. They’re all pretending this is the first time in our history this question has come up in our judicial system…

Well, let me educate you a little.

2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (Of America, in case anyone wondered).

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

How thick-headed can we be! Do I have to break this down?

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state…”

At that time in our History, the founders were very concerned that a rogue government could take over the states by force if they were not armed so the second amendment was written to keep this from happening. Why did they feel this way? Because they had seen it happen. The America we love today would have been lost when the British marched in to take over had it not been for individual liberty and the right to own weapons. The British were simply not prepared for the citizenry to have the ability to fight back. That is precisely what saved America at its birth.

“…, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

The argument here is usually that this is still talking about a state militia.

So what you’re trying to make me believe is the same group of guys who were smart enough to write the founding documents and begin this grand experiment called America were too stupid to realize this would be taken out of context? Do you think they didn’t dissect their words and consider them carefully before committing pen to paper?

Or is it simply that they meant what they said… “the people… the people…”

The people in this country were given the right to bear arms.

For the defense of themselves.

For the defense of their loved ones.

For the defense of their country.

In a dissenting opinion to the ruling made on June 26, 2008 Justice Stephen Breyer wrote, "In my view, there simply is no untouchable constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to keep loaded handguns in the house in crime-ridden urban areas”

What he’s saying, in essence, is that all people who live in these crime-ridden areas are criminals. If this is not the case, he’s saying that they do not have the right to defend themselves against the kind of thugs and dirt that hold them hostage in their own communities.

This opinion today doesn’t put guns in the hands of bad people and keep them out of the hands of good people. It arms those who abide by the law to protect themselves against those who do not.

Let’s take a look at the 2006 crime statistics for the area most affected by today’s ruling; Washington D.C.

Crime Type

 

2006 Total

Per 100,000 People

National per 100,000 People

Overall Washington Crime Index

 

34423

5919.4

4479.3

 

Washington Violent Crimes

 

8408

1445.8

553.5

Washington Murders

 

169

29.1

7

Washington Rapes

 

182

31.3

33.1

Washington Robberies

 

3604

619.7

205.8

Washington Aggravated Assaults

 

4453

765.7

336

 

Great average for our nation’s capitol, don’t you think?

My guess is every gun that was used in the commission of every crime listed in the tables above was committed by a law-abiding citizen who purchased their guns legally.

Or is this too much common sense for the average bleeding-heart liberal to wrap their pea-sized brain around?

Just maybe a disarmed citizen is more vulnerable to a criminal…

Just maybe criminals are afraid to attack when they may, themselves face some danger…

Just maybe all of that would be too easy to understand.

Gordon Greene

 

(Send comments to: [email protected])

© 2008 Le' Pugh'


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
Added on July 5, 2008

Author

Le' Pugh'
Le' Pugh'

Anchorage, NE, Christmas Island



About
My new book is here! Purchase "Wings to See" at Barnes and Noble Also available on Amazon or www.fracturedrepublic.com �Wings to See� takes you on year-by-year journey thro.. more..

Writing