Bethany

Bethany

A Story by Meredith Dickey
"

Mother Earth had given her life love. She had given her wings, a duty to her people. Father Time had given her beauty.

"

She stood at the edge of a cliff, her silver-blond hair blowing in the wind while her once vibrant violet eyes look sadly at the sea. The soft silky dressed she wore blew in the wind. Her heart hurt, pain had consumed her. She couldn’t take it anymore. The one she loved was betroth to another. But, she didn’t care anymore.

 

Mother Earth had given her life love. She had given her wings, a duty to her people. Father Time had given her beauty. And, she knew she had given it all away. It was foolish for her to fall in love with a human. It was foolish to ask Sister Abigail to transform her into a human mortal.

 

She now longed for her mother and father, she now longed for acceptance�"even love. But, standing here on the edge of the cliff made her wanted her wings back. As she stepped off the cliff she closed her eyes and she realized she wasn’t falling. Looking up she saw her best friend from a lifetime ago.

 

“Bethany…” she whispered.

 

The woman was cloaked in a rose red robe. Her sapphire eyes looked sadly at her. She then pulled Bethany onto the cliff. Bethany crouched down on all fours ashamed to look at her friend, but her friend lifted her chin and made Bethany looked at her. Violet met sapphire.

 

“I saw,” her friend whispered.

 

“Natalie…” Bethany said.

 

Natalie smiled softly as Bethany threw herself into her friend’s arms. Nothing else mattered at the moment. The man of Bethany’s dream vanished from her mind. The pain in Bethany’s heart vanished. She remembered the love that the two women shared, and how she shattered it. And, now they were both immortals.

 

“But why?” Bethany asked.

 

“Silly girl,” Natalie said. “You belong to me.”

 

Natalie raised both her arms above their heads, and whispered a spell transforming both humans back to what they once were. Then they flew through the night lit by stars, hand and hand.

© 2010 Meredith Dickey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on January 7, 2010
Last Updated on January 7, 2010

Author

Meredith Dickey
Meredith Dickey

Rocklin, CA



About
Hi! My name is Mary, or as some of you know me as Fammy. Let’s see, I’m twenty-five. My birthday is November 19, 1984. I was born at 4.29, and I lived in the Bay Area for 20 years. Back i.. more..

Writing