Pity them

Pity them

A Poem by Farrah Grahm

Pity them all
They cough and forget
It’s raining outside
But they remain dry
Pity them all
It’s sad you see
They’re opening their mouths
All agape for me
I tried to explain
In the calmest of words
My blade is my record
My mission absurd
But a mission all the same
To ensure chaos
In the lives of the lame
They know of nothing secular
They only know the wizard of Oz
And the BEAUTY who loves a BEAST
Pity them and forgive them
It’s no wonder their confused
They believe evil is a guise
For beauty underneath
And even conspiracy can be forgiven
Long as you get to go home in the end
Pity them all
They don’t feel the heat
It’s just a setback for them
It only means the counterclockwise turn of a dial
And filtered water must stand ready.
Cause they promised her a mockingbird
And indeed get her that diamond
They just polish off the blood
And make that image of that gleaming finger
That neck, that wrist immortal with a push of button--‘click’
And a soaking of prints.
Hush little baby
There’s food and material things aplenty
Keep your mouth closed and watch the TV
Ignore that brutal stuff
The death, hunger and disease, it’ll never
Grace the likes of you my dear.
Pity them all, it’s hard to understand
They pay all their taxes and yet there’s a man
Smiling far too wide with a knife in his hand
The one that’s destroyed the hedges
And marred the white fences
And may splinter fresh pink necks
If too many words are said.
Pity them all
They’ve recited their prayers before bed
Their mistake is only including the line
“And if I die before I wake”
 Counting on passing while reminiscing--
Dreaming peacefully in sleep.
That is what they’ve prepared for.
Not the wild knocking on the front door.




 

© 2009 Farrah Grahm


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thoughtful, meaningful and obscured a lil-bit :d...
Actually i got your thought when I reached the verse:

" They believe evil is a guise
For beauty underneath
And even conspiracy can be forgiven
Long as you get to go home in the end "

It has been well written and the flow of ideas was introduced interestingly.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Thanks Gandre,

This is a very intelligent and thought provoking piece. Illusions and manipulations well discussed.

Great form, good choice of words, well presented message.

A wonderful piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I agree with drew wade, but thanks to Gandre for sending this to me. Awesome piece, very intellegent and well laid out.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Powerful!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Umm.. I'm confused by some of these reviews (Gandre's?). All I see here is a really kick-a*s, tongue-in-cheek poem. i don't see anything that rails against aborigines. WTF. I guess some people will take anything and use it as an excuse to propagate their own opinions.

Meanwhile, I really liked it. It's dryly sarcastic and humorous, and I like the way you rhyme without forcing it. this thing flows smoothly and keeps the pace going and never sounds like its stretching to make a point. Fantastic. You are excellent. Keep up the good work, and don't suffer fools.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Then we have guys who spend their lives training in hand to hand and hanging out at the Army surplus enlarging their weapon stores at home. They have guns, knives and endless rounds of ammo waiting for the terrorists to show up in their neighborhood. And people think I'm paranoid because I sleep with a Glock under my pillow. I sleep very lightly. Some guy walked in an old folks home here in Raleigh and wasted five or six senior citizens he didn't even know. I don't think I'm paranoid, just prepared. That's what they taught us in the Boy Scouts, Be Prepared. And like Mr.T used to say on The A Team, "I pity the fool" who isn't. Interesting write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was wrong:
this I see so...
Aboriginal people are primal communistis - they have no desire to defind themselves as individuals separated by material possessions. It s not so good because that way of life is no longer possible... in termes of a while perspective this is brutal and fatalistic existence (it's another consciousness that accepts). This accepting is the antithesis of Western individuality. You write about this conflict between white power - and Aboriginal disempoverment. This is a fantastic visual writing. I loved it. I didn't see who you are. You are Aborigina correct? I now have seen your photograph. I was a fool, to leave a review like I did before. Excuse me. I love this writing!!! Aborigina are fanstic intelligent creations and : They will have their day again ! Because the Wetern culture and consciousness is it's own worst enemy.. So Aborigine consciousness will emerge. This is so, I sense it. I think it is so. Because the universe makes every opportunity, some opportunities wax other opportunities wane.. And sometimes you have to wait... I loved this writing. I am amazed how Aborigines in Australia 50,000 years ago or earlier hunted huge kangoroos (about 3 meters tall) and huge wombat creatures. Times of white consciousness will pass... Maybe the rats will win ... ha ha ha great writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


BRA....................VO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS SO DOPE!!! Your intelligence has given me such inspiration! I can point to so many moments but I'll just try to focus.

"To ensure chaos
In the lives of the lame
They know of nothing secular
They only know the wizard of Oz
And the BEAUTY who loves a BEAST"

Very well said. I love your distribution of pity and you cross so many borders with it! To lames, to the socially blind, and it almost seems to go at the "bible-huggers"(God I hope so).

"They've recited their prayers before bed
Their mistake is only including the line
"And if I die before I wake"
Counting on passing while reminiscing--
Dreaming peacefully in sleep."

You've officially become someone I definitely need to look out for. Your poem to the blind has truly inspired me; and you did it with such calmness and intelligence. I'm snapping my fingers in applause!



Posted 15 Years Ago


They cough and sputter their germs and filth on us, the ones who don't ask for it.

Reality is far away and I pity them.

Your words exude so much frustration with a hint of empathy. (The empathy touches my heart).

You have an individualized style which I find intriguing. I am always open to hearing every meaning behind a great poem as this.


Posted 15 Years Ago


I love the story you told here. There have been so many documented cases of people who have this obsession with chaos, and it seems that's whats going on here. I think a sequel would be great, of what became of the man with the blade, and the family. Try it out!

Posted 15 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

475 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 23, 2009
Last Updated on March 2, 2009

Author

Farrah Grahm
Farrah Grahm

Miledgeville, GA



About
Trying to find me In this heart lies a tomb for memories. In my head is where their spirits go. I spend my life trying to be the one who won't disappoint, but in the past I've made each possible mista.. more..

Writing
I knew I knew

A Poem by Farrah Grahm



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


9 am 9 am

A Poem by Robert Luna