Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fictioneer
"

Three of Santa's key reindeer decide to retire and now it is up to the Kringle Corporation to conduct a contest to replace them.

"

Do you truly believe?

 

 

Chapter One

 

Deep in the northern woods is an enchanted village called Toyville. This small village has been hidden from the rest of the world for many years. People have spent their entire lives looking for Toyville, but every time they came close to locating the village, it would just vanish. Legends were told of the citizens of Toyville, they claim, they only stood four feet tall with pointed ears and curled shoes, with little silver bells that dangled from the tips of the curls. That same legend also told about a great Joyful Man, who stood six feet tall, long flowing white hair, and a matching beard that rained over his enormous belly. His clothes were hand made from the finest fabric from around the planet, and he only wore his red and white uniform during the working season.

 

This great man is known the world over, not only by his clothing, but also for the gifts he leaves for all the good little boys and girls. He travels around the globe on December twenty-fourth every year to spread his love and enchantment not only to the children, but also to the people and animals who truly believe. Believing is only half of the story, the other half is the individual whom is doing the believing. One December twenty-eighth, at the enchanted castle, named from its owner Kriss Kringle, Kringle Gardens a problem a rose.

 

Now, Kringle Gardens was not your average northern woods castle, like the ones known in Europe. No, this castle produces the finest toys the world has ever known. These toys are all hand made by the Enchanted Labor Federation, (ELF for short), and have stood the test of time itself. Kringle Corporation has been making toys for so long that Kriss cannot remember when it all started, but he always remembers why it started. When Kriss was a young boy, his parents worked hard, and did not make too much money, but the Kringles were very happy. Every December twenty-fifth, Mr. Kringle would create wooden toys for his son. When the other children of Tinsel Town saw the wooden toys, they fell in love with them.

 

As Kriss grew, his love for toy making grew within him. He began to create wooden toys, with the help of his father, Mr. Kringle, for the people of Tinsel Town. All the children loved the colorful Kringle toys. The small wagons were made of strong northern hardwoods. The dolls were crafted, with such skilled hands that they looked as if they would breathe life. Children from other villages and towns around the area wanted a Kringle toy. The demand was so great that the Kringle family needed to find help and another place to create their colorful toys.

 

 However, the dilemmas The Kringle Corporation now face; three of the legendary deer had decided to retire.

 

As the snow fell gently upon Kringle Gardens and Toyville, creating a white blanket that covered the earth. Sounds of woodland creatures could be heard in echoes from far away. However, inside the enchanted castle, the sounds of production ricocheted off the majestic hallways. Each department had its own sounds and smells, such as the main production room. Wood being cut, pounded, and dropped on to the floor was so loud that the elves had to wear ear protection. The strong scent of pine filled the air, trying to cover up the smell of paint, glue, and burnt wood. Nevertheless, this was only one of many production rooms that were within Kringle Gardens.

 

The library in the castle was one of the quietest rooms. Large wooden bookcases lined three of the four walls, filled with leather bound books from all around the world. A thick red carpet covered the floor, to help keep the sounds of the factory out. A large flag stone fireplace kept a warm glowing flame alight, one of the simple pleasures of peace and harmony. Seated in two large, red velvet overstuffed chairs, in front of the fireplace, was Kriss, known to the world over as, Santa, and Jingle, Kringle Corporation’s number one elf.

 

While Santa wore his traditional red and white uniform, with coal black boots, Jingle wore a red tunic with snow-white trim. His red pants ended inside the black leather curled toed boots with three silver bells dangling from the tips. A red felt cap covered his short white hair.

 

“How long have we all been together?” Kriss asked, while taking a sip of hot chocolate.

 

“Now that’s a good question,” Jingle replied, staring at the dancing flame in the fireplace. “I remember your father and I showed you how to use a whittle knife when you were eleven years old. And now look at you…”

 

“We don’t need to discuss how old I am, the fact still remains that Dasher, Dancer, and Prancer are calling it quits.” Santa said, taking a deep breath, trying to hold in the emotions that he was feeling.

 

“Its okay, Kriss, I’m also trying to deal with it,” Jingle said, taking a sip of hot chocolate. “I remember when we traveled to Norway to test Dasher and Dancer. They were perfect in everything that we put them through.”

 

“Yeah, I remember,” Kriss, replied with a small chuckle. “Then we were contacted about Prancer. The orphanage in Russia was proud of their fawn. He was a natural, and when he learned how to fly. Mrs. Burg couldn’t keep him grounded.”

 

“All he needed was a little guidance, and now look, a family of his own, and ready to live his life to the fullest.” Jingle said, “I sure am going to miss them.”

 

“Well, there is still a big question at hand,” Kriss said, taking a sip of hot chocolate and turning to face his best friend Jingle. “How do we go about replacing them?”

 

“Eenie, meenie, minie, moe?” Jingle suggested, staring back at Kriss.

 

“I don’t think that will work.” Kriss said.

 

“Why not?” Jingle replied.

 

“Well, if we make an announcement to the world, do you know how many deer will come to Toyville?” He said. “ No, this needs to be carefully thought out. The plan needs to be one of the best that has ever been thought of.”

 

“What about reindeer games?” Jingle said.

 

“Reindeer games?” he inquired.

 

“Sure, it will be like the Olympic Games, but this will be designed for deer.” Jingle said.

 

“Yeah, yeah, that sounds great.” Kriss said, draining his hot chocolate mug. “ Are you going to have enough time to perform these games?”

 

“Sure, we’ll collect names, have the games on April first, then the three winners will attend Kringle training school this summer and fall, and will be ready for next Christmas.” Jingle said. “ Don’t worry, Kriss, I’ll take care of everything.”

 

“I don’t know if that will be enough time,” Kriss stated nervously.

 

“Now, now, Kriss lay down,” Jingle said, then snapped his fingers and a red velvet couch suddenly appeared under Santa.

 

“Jingle, you know, I don’t like for anyone to use magic at Kringle Gardens!” Santa said, laying back onto the soft cushion and allowing his body to be relaxed.

 

“I know, but this is an emergency,” Jingle replied.

 

A calm feeling traveled through Kriss’s large body faster than anyone could say “Gingerbread cookies. He turned his head to Jingle and asked, “How are you going to announce the need for deer?”

 

“With the truth,” Jingle replied.

 

“Do you think that it’s a wise choice to tell the world about the retirement?” Kriss said, sleepily.

 

“How else are we going to let the deer know that we need them?” Jingle asked.

 

“When do you plan on making the announcement?” He asked, eyes slowly drooping.

 

“We’ll be making an announcement to the world on little Christmas,” Jingle said.

 

“Is there a reason why you picked January sixth?” He asked.

 

“The Christmas season will be officially over and the Enchanted Labor Federation will be back to work,” Jingle replied. “Is there anyone you want to be involved with the reindeer games?”

 

“I’ll talk with Natalé and see if she has anyone in mind,” Santa said. “Oh, get in touch with Doctor Evergreen and find out how Natalé’s reindeer, Ralina, is doing. She hurt her left front leg landing on the ice-covered lake. I don’t know the whole story, but will you find out for me, please?”

 

“Who had Ralina out?” Jingle asked.

 

“I don’t know, you’ll have to ask Heaven, out in the corral,” Kriss replied.

 

“All right, I’ll take care of it,” Jingle said. “Anything else?”

 

“No, I’m going to take a nap. Please have Natalé come and wake me when she is ready to go to the Kringle Bakery,” he said.

 

“Will do, big guy,” Jingle said, then stood up from the chair, and closed the door as he left the library.

 

 

           

                        ¯        ¯        ¯

 

 

Jingle opened the large wooden door to his office, and strolled in. Two huge picture windows covered one wall that looked out over the entire production floor of the main factory. At the peak of the toy-making season, Jingle, and his assistant, Miss Holly Tree, would stand and gaze upon the workers who prided themselves as being an enchanted elf.

 

Directly in front of the large windows was Jingle’s large wooden desk. It had been a Christmas gift from Kriss’s father. The desktop was cluttered with invoices, post-it notes, letters from children, and blank parchment. Two large filing cabinets sat next to the old wooden door. Three framed photographs hung on the walls; one was Kriss, Natalé, Jingle, and Lollipop, Jingle’s wife. Another picture was of Jingle, Lollipop, along with their three children; Ginger, Spritz, and Lemon Drop, all seated in front of the Kringle Christmas tree. The last photograph was of Kriss giving his father a lifetime achievement award and the key to Toyville.

 

Those were some happy times, Jingle thought as he sat down in the soft leather chair behind his desk. He gazed around his office and all he could think about was how does one put on reindeer games Thoughts of old news clips about sporting events came to mind, then quickly left. He could not think any more on the subject, he would have to incorporate the help of Holly.

 

Jingle reached over, picked up the red and green colored phone receiver, and dialed Holly’s office. The phone rang three times, then a young female voice sounded, “Good afternoon, Miss Tree’s office, this is Ginger Bells. How may I help you?”

 

“Ginger, this is Dad,” Jingle said.

 

“Hi, Daddy,” she replied excitedly.

 

“Is Holly around?” he asked.

 

“I’m sorry, Daddy, but she’s at a meeting with Scott Cooper from Shipping at the Pine Cone Café. She should be back soon,” Ginger said. “Is there anything you want me to tell her?”

 

“Yes, there is honey. Please tell Holly to be in my office as soon as her meeting is complete,” Jingle said.

 

“Yes, Daddy,” Ginger said. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

 

“No, that’s okay, just deliver the message,” Jingle said. “Thank you!”

 

“You’re welcome, Daddy,” Ginger said, and then hung up the phone.

 

Jingle replaced the receiver to the cradle, then picked it up once again, and dialed Doctor Evergreen’s office.

 

“Doctor Evergreen’s office, this is Mrs. Goshe speaking, how may I direct your call?” came a woman’s voice.

 

“Is Doctor Evergreen there?” Jingle asked, picking up one of the prototype red, white, and blue candy canes that had been produced for the United States to be sold at their July fourth celebrations.

 

“Who may I say is calling?” she asked.

 

“This is Jingle, I’m calling for Santa,” he said.

 

“Hold, please,” she said, and then her voice was replaced by the sounds of Christmas music.

 

Just as the song “White Christmas” had finished, Doctor Evergreen’s voice filled the earpiece. “This is Doctor Evergreen, how may I help you Jingle?”

 

“I’m calling to find out the status on one of our deer,” Jingle said. “Ralina, Mrs. Kringle’s, personal deer.”

 

“Ah, yes, the musk deer,” Doctor Evergreen said. “As I had told Miss Peace at the Kringle Korral, Ralina will have to be reassigned to other duties.”

 

“For how long?” he inquired.

 

“Well, for the safety of the deer, permanently. My suggestion would be to have her train a younger deer for her replacement, but as for her flying, those days are over.” Doctor Evergreen said.

 

“That serious huh?”

 

“Yes, that serious!”

 

“Well, thank you Doctor, I’ll inform Santa.”

 

“You’re welcome. If you need anymore help, please do not hesitate to call for assistance!” Doctor Evergreen said, and then hung up the phone.

 

Jingle replaced the receiver to the cradle and wrote a note for Holly to look for a replacement for Ralina. As he laid the pen onto the desk, the wooden door swung open and in walked Miss Holly Tree.

 

Holly wore the forest green uniform of the office staff. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a single ponytail; her green hat rested upon her head; but was stopped from completely covering her head by her pointed ears. The two silver bells on her black leather boots rang as she strolled across the hardwood floor.

 

“Have you ever heard of knocking?” Jingle said, watching her stroll in.

 

“Have you ever heard of days off?” Holly replied.

 

“You just had a day off,” he said.

 

“Taking the day off because my dog, Cookie, ate too much Kringle crunch on Christmas day, then spending the next day at Doctor Evergreen’s office watching my poor baby have her belly pumped is not what I call relaxation,” Holly said, sitting down in the wooden chair in front of the desk.

 

“You should have thought of that before you got your dog,” Jingle said.

 

“What?” Holly said.

 

“Forget about that for now, I need your help.” Jingle said. “ Something big has come up.”

 

“Is this about Dasher, Dancer, and Prancer retiring?” She asked.

 

“How did you know?” Jingle asked with surprise.

 

“How did you know?” She mocked. “ It is all over Toyville about them. A better question would be how do we replace them?”

 

“I’m glad you asked,” He said, leaning back into his chair as he formed a smile.

 

“What’s the smile for?” Holly asked, becoming nervous.

 

“Well, we have to make an announcement that the Kringle Corporation is in search of a few good deer,” Jingle said.

 

“When do you want to make this announcement?” Holly asked.

 

“Little Christmas,” he replied.

 

“Little Christmas?” Holly asked. “ You do know that’s in two days.”

 

“I am well aware of the day,” Jingle said.

 

“Oh and how do you plan on doing this little announcement?” Holly asked.

 

“I thought you might have some ideas about that,” Jingle said.

 

Holly leaned back into the wooden chair, and looked at the simple light fixture hanging from the ceiling; cocked her head to the right, then to the left. A broad smile stretched across her face when an idea had formed into her mind.

 

“Do we have an idea?” Jingle asked, knowing that Holly always had great ideas when he was facing trouble.

 

“Have you ever heard of the Icebox Cookie Radio Show?” Holly asked.

 

“On the radio?” Jingle asked.

 

“No, on television.” Holly said. “ Of course on the radio! It’s hosted by Joe Buck; this is right up his alley.”

 

“You believe that it would help?” Jingle asked.

 

“Sure, there isn’t a cave or animal village that doesn’t listen to the Icebox Cookie Show,” she replied. “Joe covers events all over the world. This is bigger than any event the world could produce. What is bigger than Santa’s replacement of three major reindeer?”

 

“First, we have to come up with the reindeer games,” Jingle said.

 

“That’s easy,” Holly, said, “we just go by what they teach in Kringle Training School. Next!”

 

“That’s what we’ll do, get in touch with Joe Buck and explain to him what is going on, and see if he is interested in helping Santa,” Jingle said.

 

“No problem,” she said. “Can I get some help?”

 

“Sure, who do you suggest? And don’t say Nolan Butterworth. I just got him settled in to the paint shop,” Jingle said. “Last time he helped you on a project, Santa had to pick him up on that deserted island of broken down toys.”

 

“Oh no, I’ve learned my lesson with Nolan,” Holly said. “I was thinking about the new elf in wrapping.”

 

“What is their name?” Jingle asked, looking at the list of elves who work in wrapping.

 

“Faith,” she said, staring at Jingle, hoping that he would agree.

 

“She’s the English elf, who was found at Buckingham Palace by Mrs. Kringle,” he said, staring at the name.

 

“Yes, sir,” Holly said. “If you have any doubts, I’ll take full responsibility.”

 

“This is quite a big project,” Jingle said. “Let me talk with her and then I’ll decide.”

 

“Okay,” Holly said, “do you want me to go and get her?”

 

“Is she in the factory?” He asked.

 

“Yes, she’s at her station,” she replied.

 

Jingle nodded his head, and then snapped his fingers twice, and Faith stood in Jingle’s office still holding the colorful wrapping paper in her small hands. She stood three inches shorter than Holly. Her uniform was a rose-colored dress, tan boots, no silver bells, and a rose-colored hat with a feathered pen pierced through the crown. When she realized that she stood in front of Jingle, she became nervous and allowed the wrapping paper to slip from her hands and float to the floor.

 

“Miss Faith Ann Hope?” Jingle asked.

 

Faith averted her eyes to a smiling Holly, then to Jingle, who sat behind the desk sipping on a mug of hot chocolate.

 

“Yes, sir,” she replied quietly.

 

“Do you know Miss Tree?” He asked.

 

“Yes, sir, we have breakfast every morning together,” she replied.

 

“I see,” Jingle said, then snapped his fingers again and a wooden chair appeared behind Faith. “You may have a seat.” Then he snapped his fingers again, and two notebooks appeared one in each of the elves’ laps. “ Do you know why you were asked to come here?”

 

“Does this have anything to do with the reindeer that are retiring?” She asked.

 

“Very good,” Jingle said. “I see Holly has kept you up to speed.” He paused to look her over. “ I can’t help but notice that you have a quill pen stuck in your hat.”

 

“Yes, sir,” she replied, turning to look at Holly for support, then back to Jingle when the only support that Holly was giving her was a smile.

 

“What’s that for?” He inquired.

 

“For writing,” she replied.

 

“I know for writing.” He asked, “What type of writing do you do?”

 

“I enjoy writing stories and poems,” she said.

 

“Do you keep a journal?” He asked.

 

“Yes, sir,” she replied. “Why do you ask?”

 

“I have a very good reason for that. As you may know, this is the first time any of Santa’s deer have retired,” Jingle said. “I would like you to work with Holly on setting up the promotion of the very first Reindeer Games. Not only will you be Holly’s assistant, you will also be the official scribe to the Reindeer Games. You will have to write down the procedure of how the selection process will go, and keep a journal of the events. This is history in the making. Remember, history is only as powerful as the individual who takes the time to preserve it.”

 

 

 

Jingle snapped his fingers one more time and Faith’s uniform changed color from rose to forest green, and with one silver bell on each leather boot. Faith looked at her new uniform and thought about what it meant now to wear the colors of important elves. She pulled off her hat, and her strawberry blonde hair fell around her shoulders. She pulled the feathered pen from her hat, and handed it to the old elf.

 

“I am out of ink, sir,” she said shyly.

 

Jingle held the writing instrument in his right hand; the snow white feather was eight inches long, with a sharp tip that never needed tending to. He fingered the brass handle, and then stared at the tip as if he was expecting it to tell a story, then he whispered a few words to the pen, and then the whole plume turned blue. He nodded his head in satisfaction, and handed the pen back to Faith.

 

“Your pen will never run out of ink again, or tell a lie during this project, or even leak,” Jingle said.

 

“You mean I can’t write any stories?” She asked.

 

“That’s not what I mean, it will not tell a lie when you are writing in the Kringle Journal. Any other time you can write till your heart bleeds the words you are placing down on the paper,” he said.

 

“Thank you, sir,” Faith said.

 

“Now, Holly, you know what you have to do, so go and get in touch with Joe Buck, and tell him to start promoting the Reindeer Games,” Jingle said. “Then, I want the two of you to go out into the world and start collecting names.”

 

“What about Joe Buck?” Holly asked.

 

“What about him?” Jingle replied.

 

“Do you want him to start collecting names?” Holly asked.

 

“Yes, tell him to have his lists ready for March nineteenth. That’s when the selection will begin,” Jingle said. “Now the only way a deer can compete in the games is by invitation only, and Santa will have the final say.”

 

“Okay, Faith, and I will start work now,” Holly said, standing up from the chair.

 

Holly grabbed a hold of Faith’s arm and pulled her to her feet, then led her to the door.

 

“Wait a minute, girls,” Jingle said. “I’ll help you.” He then snapped his fingers twice and the two elves were gone.

 

  They reappeared in the Paint Shop where finishing-gloss coat was being sprayed on large, yellow metal trucks. The two small elves were now being sprayed with gloss coat.” Thanks Jingle!” Holly shouted, then grabbed Faith’s hand and found their way out of the spray booth.




© 2012 Fictioneer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

389 Views
Added on November 13, 2012
Last Updated on November 13, 2012
Tags: Fiction, friendship, Christmas, Santa, Reindeer, Holiday


Author

Fictioneer
Fictioneer

Orlando, FL



About
I have been writing freelance for ten years and taught Language Arts to adult students for the GED program in the state of Florida. In addition, I also developed a Creative Writing program for adult s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fictioneer