A City of Undead

A City of Undead

A Screenplay by Forgotten

INT. JOHN MATTHEW’S CAR

 

The red Ford Galaxy drives quietly down through the empty streets. On each side houses and flats are seen. JOHN drives the car focusing thoroughly on the road. ANDREW is sat beside him fiddling with his glasses. Behind him SARAH looks out the window, holding her camcorder, the red light indicates it is recording. MARK is sat beside her, leaning his head against the window looking up at the amber sunset. Finally SARAH is sat in the back next to JOHN's camera equipment sleeping soundly.

 

ANDREW finally puts his glasses back on and looks over to JOHN. JOHN doesn't look back.

 

JOHN

What's up?

 

ANDREW widens his eyes for a brief second and looks away quickly.

 

ANDREW

Oh, it's nothing.

 

Silence falls between them.

 

ANDREW (CONT)

(Speech is shaky)

How did it all come to this?

 

SARAH looks down the centre of the car and points her camera at them.

 

JOHN

I don't know, but let’s just focus on one thing at a time...okay?

 

JOHN gives a small comforting smile. ANDREW forces one back in politeness.

 

SHANNON stirs and sits up, rubbing her left eye. She looks out the window and studies the neighborhood.

 

SHANNON

Hey...um...where are we?

 

JOHN looks back for a second.

 

JOHN

Oh, look who's awake at last.

 

SHANNON

How long was I out?

 

JOHN

umm?

 

JOHN looks at his watch for a second.

 

JOHN (CONT)

About...5 maybe 6 hours I'm not really sure.

 

ANDREW laughs.

 

ANDREW

Shows how much he cares doesn't it.

 

ANDREW beams a smile back at her.

 

SHANNON

Oh shut up.

 

SHANNON crosses her arms and sits back.

 

MARK

(Mutters)

Geez, quit being so touchy all the time.

 

SHANNON

What was that?!

 

MARK

Nothing.

 

SHANNON leans forwards and looks through the gap in the chairs.

 

SHANNON

You got something to say to me, say it.

 

MARK

Just sit back and be quiet.

 

SHANNON

Oh that's real big coming from a spineless freak like you.

 

SARAH points the camera at both SHANNON and MARK, capturing them both in the picture on her camcorder.

 

JOHN

(Shouts)

Okay that's it shut up both of you I'm trying to drive!

 

SHANNON

I wasn't talking to you so keep out of this!

 

JOHN

I could throw you out of this car SHANNON, now shut up!

 

SHANNON, JOHN and MARK all squabble between their selves. JOHN's driving becomes more unstable. SARAH rushes her camera between each of them. ANDREW clenches his fists.

ANDREW

(Shouts)

Okay all of you shut the hell up right now!

 

Both JOHN and MARK go quiet.

 

SHANNON

Who the hell do you...

 

ANDREW interrupts her.

 

ANDREW

(Shouts angrily)

I said shut it!

 

SHANNON sits back in a strop and huffs. ANDREW sits back also and sighs.

 

ANDREW (CONT)

We won't get anywhere with us all squabbling like this. All this noise is exactly what we don't need.

 

JOHN sighs and stables his driving.

 

JOHN

He's right, and you all know he is.

 

JOHN nods with a smile at ANDREW and ANDREW smiles back. A few moments pass in silence.

 

SARAH

What do you all remember....of the day it started?

 

Everyone ponders the question.

 

ANDREW

Well...?

 

Fades out:

 

INT. OXFORD UNIVERSITY LIVING QUARTERS �" MORNING

 

ANDREW SCARLETT, a boy of 20, black wavy hair, slim figure, wakes up as his alarm sounds. The alarm clock reads 8:30am. He sits up in bed, rubs his eyes and puts on his glasses. ANDREW turns off his alarm. He opens his wardrobe and picks out a suit and a black tie and dresses himself. He positions his glasses.

 

INT. OXFORD UNIVERSTIY CORRIDOR - MORNING (30 MINUTES LATER) 

 

The corridor is alive with chatter of students stood at their lockers. MARK PALIN, 19 years of ages, wearing scruffy clothing and blond hair, dawdles down the corridor. He is holding a brown paper bag full of ingredients. MARK focuses on the floor and bumps into SHANNON MOORE (a girl of 19, long brunette hair, short skirt, tights). The ingredients fall on the floor and SHANNON stumbles backwards.

 

SHANNON

(Shouting)

Watch where you’re going you idiot!

 

MARK descends to the floor and begins to pick up his ingredients.

 

SHANNON (CONT)

Oi! I'm talking to you!

 

MARK looks up to her.

 

MARK

(Quietly)

I'm sorry.

 

SHANNON carries on down the corridor.

 

SHANNON

Just watch where you’re going from now on.

 

MARK nods and gathers all his ingredients and continues on his way to his lecture.

 

INT. OXFORD UNIVERSITY DRAMA ROOM (AN HOUR LATER)

 

SHANNON stands on the centre of the stage with LUCY and ANNIE, they are acting out a piece from act 1 of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

 

SHANNON

How now! Who calls?

 

LUCY

Your mother.

 

SHANNON

Madam I am here. What is your will?

 

ANNIE

This is the matter, Nurse leave awhile, we must talk in...

 

MRS SPENCER

Stop stop stop.

 

ALL THREE look down from their scripts at MRS SPENCER. 

 

SHANNON

What is it? I thought that was perfect.

 

MRS SPENCER

That is your problem Shannon, you believe this adequate drivel is...as you say perfect.

 

SHANNON

(Angrily)

Adequate drivel!

 

MRS SPENCER raises her hand. SHANNON steps back and looks at the floor.

 

MRS SPENCER

And there we go, emotion, I don't feel the emotion in any of you, Annie add emphasis on the ‘this’ in the line 'this is the matter'.

 

ANNIE nods.

 

ANNIE

Yes Miss.

 

MRS SPENCER

And Shannon, raise your voice a little when you say 'how now' then lower it when you say the next bit...got it?

 

SHANNON sighs.

 

SHANNON

Yes miss.

 

MRS SPENCER

Good, now let’s try this again.

 

SARAH ROBERTS a girl of 20, (short brunette hair, jeans and jacket) stands behind the red curtain studying an old film camera.

 

SHANNON (O.S)

How now! Who calls?

 

A teacher by the name of MRS CORBETT enters through the curtain.

 

MRS CORBETT

I trust that this has been helpful for your studies.

 

SARAH gasps and nods politely.

 

SARAH

(Shyly)

Oh umm..I...um yes miss.

 

MRS CORBETT

I'm glad to hear that, please if you ever need any help from us just contact me and I'll see what I can do.

 

SARAH

Th-thank you.

 

SARAH looks at her watch and gasps.

 

SARAH (CONT)

Oh damn, I'm sorry I'm late for umm...something.

 

SARAH rushes past MRS CORBETT, MRS CORBETT smiles.

 

MRS CORBETT

Such a nice girl.

 

INT. GEOGRAPHY ROOM �" MOMENTS LATER

 

MR TRENDOL stands up front and points at the board, talking about the economics of third world countries. JOHN MATTHEWS a boy of 19, black hair, beige jacket and blue shirt, jeans, looks out the window at the clouds.

 

MR TRENDOL

Therefore...third world countries rely on their base outgoing shipments rather on their incoming.

 

MR TRENDOL looks over to JOHN and sighs, he smacks a ruler on his desk. JOHN jumps and looks to the front of the class.

 

MR TRENDOL

Something more...interesting outside Mr Matthews?

 

JOHN

No Sir I was listening though.

 

MR TRENDOL

Interesting...so tell me then, if the economy of France crashes, how would it effect its neighboring country Spain.

 

JOHN

Oh umm... it would get less... produce?

 

MR TRENDOL sighs and places his index finger and thumb on the bridge of his nose. His classmates giggle slightly around the room.

 

MR TRENDOL

Ok silence all of you.

 

JOHN looks down at his feet.

 

MR TRENDOL (CONT)

Excuse me Mr Matthews, if I could have your attention.

 

JOHN looks up at him.

 

MR TRENDOL (CONT)

Now a lot of your classmates here actually want to learn this, I can't be repeating every piece of information for you wasting the others valuable time...do you understand me?

JOHN

Yes Sir.

 

MR TRENDOL

Hmm, good... now all of you turn to page 63 in your text books please.

 

INT. CAFETERIA - DAY

                           

The cafeteria is bustling with conversations from each corner of the room. JOHN sits playing with his mash potato and sausages. MARK leaves the queue holding a red tray containing salad sandwiches and rice pudding. SHANNON sits with her LUCY and ANNIE laughing at a joke.

 

SHANNON spots MARK who is looking gloomily at his tray of food. She pokes her foot out and trips MARK over.

 

SHANNON

Oh my god you really are a clumsy idiot aren't you.

 

MARK ignores her and picks up his sandwiches which are still in their plastic case.

 

SHANNON (CONT)

Oi, don't ignore me when I'm talking to you.

 

MARK looks at her and begins to walk away.

 

SHANNON (CONT)

How dare you ignore me?

 

SHANNON stands and approaches MARK.

 

SHANNON (CONT)

(Shouting)

Oi, answer me!

 

SHE places her hand on MARKS shoulder and pulls him backwards. MARK turns and elbows her in the nose causing it to bleed. LUCY rushes up to her.

 

LUCY

Oh god Shannon your nose is bleeding, come on let's get you to the nurse.

 

SHANNON cries and is taken away by LUCY. JOHN after watching the incident approaches MARK.

 

JOHN

Hey, um are you okay?

 

MARK

Yeah, I guess.

 

JOHN gently places his hand on MARKS shoulder. MARK flinches.

 

JOHN

Sorry.

 

MARK

It's...um...fine.

 

JOHN smiles reassuringly at him.

 

JOHN

Come on, you can sit with me.

 

MARK smiles.

 

MARK

Thanks.

 

Both JOHN and MARK approach the table JOHN was previously sat at and sits down. MARK sits opposite to JOHN.

 

JOHN

You are a rather jumpy guy aren't you?

 

MARK shrugs and takes a bite out of his sandwich.

 

JOHN (CONT)

(Laughing)

Hey, good shot man. That prissy girl needs to be knocked down a peg or two.

 

MARK looks up from his meal.

 

MARK

You know her?

 

JOHN

God who doesn't? Her 'daddy' works in the government.  And have you ever seen her act?

 

MARK

No? Is she good?

 

JOHN

Good? Good?!

 

JOHN laughs loudly.

 

JOHN (CONT)

God that girl is terrible. Let me tell you I swear she could have only got into this place with her father’s cash.

 

MARK

Seems like that kinda girl I guess.

 

JOHN nods.

 

JOHN

Damn right.

 

JOHN takes a large swig of his water and places it down on the table.

 

JOHN

Hey if you’re not doing anything tonight me and a couple of friends are going down to the bar. You game?

 

MARK

Umm...game?

 

JOHN laughs gently.

 

JOHN

Are you up for it?

 

MARK

Oh umm...maybe some other time, yeah?

 

JOHN

Sure thing, just give me a buzz.

 

INT. LECTURE ROOM (CODE AND LAW CLASS) AFTERNOON

 

The clock reads 3:15pm. MR SUNDER stands at the front of the class reading from a book titled, 'CODE AND LAW'. ANDREW is sat back with his classmates writing notes vigorously.

 

MR SUNDER

Okay have you all got that?

 

CLASS

Yes Sir.

 

MR SUNDER

Good, now I want to talk to all of you about your assignments.

 

MR SUNDER pulls out a brown folder and pulls out a sheet of paper listing the assignment.

 

MR SUNDER (CONT)

Okay...Now I want to go through your second task as a few of you have come to me for help.

 

MR SUNDER clears his throat.

 

MR SUNDER (CONT)

Firstly...

 

A knock comes from the door.

 

MR SUNDER (CONT)

Please enter.

 

MISS SWANTON enters the room.

 

MISS SWANTON

Excuse me MR SUNDER can I borrow you for a second?

 

MR SUNDER

Umm sure...ok class while I'm gone I want you all to review your notes.

 

CLASS

Yes Sir.

 

MR SUNDER AND MISS SWANTON leaves the room. ANDREW begins to study his notes.

 

INT. CULINARY CLASS �" SAME

 

MRS NETHERS walks amongst all the students studying their cooking. She stops at PAULs cooking station.

 

MRS NETHERS

Excuse me Paul, can you explain what you’re doing here?

 

PAUL

I'm measuring the honey to honey glaze the vegetables.

 

MRS NETHERS

Well okay, but it's burning.

 

PAUL

What?!

 

PAUL rushes to his food.

 

PAUL (CONT)

Oh damn.

 

MRS NETHERS

Start again.

 

PAUL nods. MARK stands at his station and flips the pan upwards flipping over the omelette.

 

MRS NETHERS (CONT)

Very good Mr Palin.

 

MARK

Thank you miss.

 

A thumping sound comes from the hallway. MRS NETHERS looks out to the hallway.

 

MRS NETHERS

What in God’s name?

 

A teacher by the name of MR STETON walks through the open doorway slowly and stops.

 

MRS NETHERS (CONT)

Oh Mr Steton it's you, what's up?

 

MR STETON groans and stays motionless.

 

MRS NETHERS (CONT)

Mr Steton?

 

A long silence draws on the classroom. All the students stare confused by MR STETON's behavior.

 

ALICA

(Shouts)

Oh god Mrs Nethers he's bleeding.

 

INT. NURSES ROOM �" SAME

 

The nurse brings in a student with another teacher and lays him on a bed. A bite mark is found on her neck bleeding badly. SHANNON sits up in her bed and looks across the room at him.

 

NURSE

So do you know what happened?

 

TEACHER

No, she just came running in too the room crying and passed out. We don't know what caused it yet.

 

NURSE

Okay well she's in good hands now; I'll bandage her up and call the hospital to come get her.

 

The NURSE looks at SHANNON.

 

NURSE (CONT)

And Shannon I'll say it again, it was a slight bleeding you don't need to stay here.

 

SHANNON

(Overdramatic)

Do you see this bruise, I'm injured I can't leave this room.

 

The NURSE sighs and shakes her head. She walks over to a cabinet and pulls out a couple of bandages. She approaches the student and begins to bandage her. SHANNON's phone vibrates. She looks at it to see a text message. The text message read 'Are you coming to class soon? xxx'

SHANNON sighed and pressed her phone to call LUCY.

 

LUCY (O.s)

Hello?

 

SHANNON

Hey, sorry I won't be coming to class today, I'm still in the nurses office.

 

LUCY (O.S)

Why is it busy there or something?

 

SHANNON

I'm injured Lucy, I can't come in.

 

LUCY (O.S)

It was a tiny bleed you big baby.

 

SHANNON gasped.

 

SHANNON

(Shouting)

Screw you then.

 

She hangs up on LUCY.

 

SHANNON (CONT)

(Mumbles)

Stupid cow.

 

SHANNON lays back on her bed. The NURSE suddenly screams and SHANNON bolts upright. She looks over but the curtain had been pulled round. A gentle growl came from behind the curtain. SHANNON sits on the side of her bed.

 

SHANNON

Mrs Loper? Are you okay in there?

 

A growl returned from behind the curtain.

 

SHANNON (CONT)

Okay this isn't funny Mrs Loper...

 

Still no response.

 

SHANNON gets out of bed and approaches the curtain.

 

SHANNON

Mrs Loper?

 

SHANNON reaches out for the curtain, her hand is an inch away. Suddenly someone comes rushing through tearing the curtain down and falling onto her. SHANNON screams out fighting the person on the other side of the curtain.

 

A fierce growling comes from the other person.

 

SHANNON

(Screaming)

Help me! Help!

 

INT. GEOGRAPHY ROOM �" SAME

 

MR TRENDOL is sat in his chair marking work. JOHN sits back looking out the window at the clouds. The class is working on an assignment. A bone chilling scream comes from the hallway. MR TRENDOL looks up at the door.

 

MR TRENDOL

What the hell?

 

He approaches the door and opens it. A female student runs past him knocking him slightly. 

 

MR TRENDOL (CONT)

Excuse me miss no running in the hallway!

 

She ignores him and carries on running. He looks to his left and sopts a group of student pinning another.

 

MR TRENDOL (CONT)

Oi you lot! Get off him!

 

MR TRENDOL runs over to the student. The class runs outside to see what is happening. JOHN looks out of the room.

 

INT. CORRIDOR �" SAME

 

MR TREDOL reaches the students and grabs hold of one pulling him off. He steps back when he notices that the student has chunks of skin missing.

 

MR TRENDOL

Oh dear god!

 

The group of students rise up and pin MR TRENDOL biting him and tearing chunks off skin out. MR TRENDOL screams in agony writhing in pain. The class screams and runs away down the corridor. JOHN gasps and runs with the group.

 

INT. CULINARY CLASS - MOMENTS BEFORE

 

MRS NETHERS runs up to MR STETON and tries to turn him around to see the wound, however HE bites her on the neck and drags her to the floor. MRS NETHERS screams in pain trying to push him away. She finally goes silent. The class stand motionless in fear. MR STETON stands snarling quietly. He focuses on MARK.

 

MARK feels behind him grasping the handle of a knife. MR STETON snarls viciously and runs at MARK, HE pulls the knife out if the stand and plants it into his heart. HIS breathing becomes rapid. MR STETON is stunned for a second but charges back at him. MARKS eyes widen in horror and dodges him.

 

MR STETON falls forward but climbs to his feet quickly. MARK grabs hold of a frying pan and wields it ready. MR STETON rushes at him, MARK swings the frying pan hitting HIM in the head. He falls to the ground and becomes motionless. The CLASS rushed out of the room and down the corridor.

 

MARK

(To himself)

No way...but there not real...are they?

 

MARK wields the frying pan and rushes out of the room.

 

INT. LECTURE ROOM (CODE AND LAW CLASS) A FEW MOMENTS LATER

 

The class lay silent all concentrating on revising the notes. A gentle knocking comes at the door.

 

ANDREW

Oh you can come in there's no teacher in here.

 

It goes silent for a moment, another knock follows. ANDREW raises his voice.

 

ANDREW (CONT)

I said you can come in.

 

Another knock comes from the door.

 

STUDENT

I'll get it.

 

The STUDENT gets up and pulls down the handle, but before he can open it MR SUNDER rushes in a knocks him to the ground. He pins him and bites his neck tearing a chunk out. The class screams in horror. More teachers come rushing in and ran at the class pinning a few. All around ANDREW screaming was heard.

 

A teacher runs at ANDREW but ANDREW returns the attack and throws his notebook at the teacher. The instability of the teacher caused her to fall to the floor but was up again in a second. MARK begins to run struggling to maintain speed between the small gap between the two rows.

ANDREW spots a meter ruler at the front of the class and darts towards it. He grabs hold of it and turns to defend himself. The teacher rushes at him snarling loudly. ANDREW swings the ruler landing a heavy blow to the head knocking he teacher dead.

 

HIS breathing becomes heavy and shallow. ANDREW darts for the door. He reaches it and runs out.

 

INT. CORRIDOR �" SAME

 

ANDREW looked down the corridor. All the way down students we're being attacked by rogue teachers and even students we're attacking teachers. All finally devouring their prey when caught. Rapid footsteps echoed behind him. HIS breath became heavy again and fear grasped his body.

Suddenly SARAH comes bursting around the corner. SHE looks down the corridor and stops.

 

SARAH

Oh crap this way is blocked too!

 

ANDREW

Hey what the hell is happening here?!

 

SARAH looked at him confused.

 

SARAH

Have you not heard?!

 

ANDREW

Heard what?!

 

SARAH pulls out her phone and puts on the news.

 

NEWS WOMAN

The city is in peril all around people are killing and devouring other people, the city has run into chaos! People are calling them the infected, a message to everyone stay indoors, don't leave unless you really have to!

 

A loud noise sounded in the studio. Screaming echoed in the background.

 

NEWS WOMAN

Oh god no! Noooo!

 

The camera cuts out a static replaces it.

 

SARAH

That was broadcast about 20 minutes ago!

 

ANDREW

So...the whole city is like this?

 

SARAH

Apparently.

 

ANDREW

Okay let’s cut this chit chat we need to get out of here, like now!

An infected comes bursting around the corner.

 

ANDREW (CONT)

(Shouts)

Duck!

 

SARAH ducks and ANDREW swings the meter ruler, hitting the infected in the head. The ruler shatters on impact leaving them defenceless.

 

ANDREW (CONT)

Okay, let’s go.

 

ANDREW grabs hold of SARAH's hand and drags her round the corner and heads down the corridor.

 

-TO BE CONTINUED- 

© 2012 Forgotten


Author's Note

Forgotten
This script has partially been inspired by the anime "Highschool of the dead", I wrote this a while ago and only just came across it again, let me know if you would like to see thid continued, if not then I won't really carry it on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm interested in reading more! I usually don't read supernatural/vampire/undead stories, etc., this was a great read. I agree w/ the previous comments, especially w/ JuniperPearl's.
~pat

Posted 11 Years Ago


A very interesting screenplay. I'm far from a expert on screenplay as you can get. I did like the discussion and the movement of the situations. Thank you for sharing the screenplay.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Its interesting! You should surely continue!
Keep going :)
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


Technically it is a very sound piece. Great visualization. The reader really feels as if they are they are there with the characters. The background descriptions were nicely written: neither to tedious nor lacking in vital detail.

Despite the fact that zombie / living dead type films and stories aren't my personal preference in terms of genre, I can honestly say I enjoyed reading this.

Keep going!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, looks interesting, great work :)
100/100
I'll be waiting for the next part.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

517 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 10, 2012
Last Updated on September 10, 2012

Author

Forgotten
Forgotten

Gloucestershire, Stroud, United Kingdom



About
My real name is John-Paul Crawford, I do voluntary work at Stroud FM and hopefully after my training will be allowed my own slot on air. Writing takes up most of my time, I'm always trying to better m.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..