Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Forgotten

Chapter 2

 

 

The tires screeched as he slammed on the brakes of his old Ford Fiesta, he had parked it the driveway yet not to the standard he usually would. He fumbled the keys dropping them on the floor but he quickly acquired them once more and jumped out the car quickly and rushed for the door. He threw the key in to the lock and as the familiar click sounded he swung it open slamming it close as he entered. He leant against the door panting and shivering in shock. He stared in to his hands and slammed them backwards hitting the door in anger.

“W-what have I done?” he whimpered quietly as tears began to fill his eyes. The secret he had hidden for so long had finally surfaced to the world, though any normal person would have thought themselves to be a modern day angel Eric was different. He saw it as nothing more than a mutation of the body, a disgusting flaw, a blemish on his otherwise normal structure. He wondered how long it would be before the news would be on this, how long it would be before news crews would crowd outside his house. His mind filled with a flurry of emotions swirling around his head throwing him into shock, fear and worry. Suddenly he was disturbed as the phone began to ring; he stopped dead and froze to the spot. He was afraid and fear had taken hold of his body disabling him to do what would seem to have been a simple task as answering the phone. The seconds passed by until it finally hit the answer machine.

“I’m sorry but the person you are trying to reach is unable to take your call, please leave a message after the beep” the answer machine said springing to life.

“Mr Jones this is Dr Elbert from New York hospital. We have a Patricia Jenkins here and you’re the person she has requested we contact, she would like to see you” the line when silent, after hearing the doctor who was most likely indian by his accent he slid down the door until he was finally sitting looking down at the floor. The hospital he was calling from was all the way down in Queens, about a half hours drive from there. He thought to himself about it but finally came to the conclusion.

“I can’t go down there, not yet, not now!” he spoke to himself deliriously, “I can’t do it, I can’t go out there!” he was afraid he was becoming one of those shut ins, scared of the world outside and afraid of anything further than the safety of his front door.

 

The day continued to pass by for Susan, blissfully unaware to the day her husband had been through. She continued working at their local charity centre, a charity which helped the homeless get back up on their feet and find their place in society once more. She sat in the back room where the employees went to rest, she was not alone. She was joined by a middle aged woman by the name of Victoria Barker; she had a bubbly personality and was great with the homeless they brought in. It was nice for them to see a friendly and welcoming face every morning on arriving at work. Her brunette locks and chocolate brown eyes were enough to convince any man of her beauty, well in her experiences it seemed to be true. Other thought her just to be lucky in that respect. She beamed a smile over to Susan in which she returned a gentle one back.

“So Susan” she began, “How’s that darling husband of yours?” she chuckled slightly.

“He’s fine just had a few aches and pains recently but nothing new there” Victoria winked at her and grinned.

“Nothing you can’t sort out though right?” she chuckled, “He may be aching but no man can resist a good rubbing over by a beautiful young woman” Susan laugh weakly, this wasn’t her taste in humour but she would at least act like it was.

“Um yeah I guess so” she replied finally. She turned to the old TV which sat in the centre of the room and switched it on via an old looking remote. She sat back on the couch which was red in colour and leather. It had stopped on the news straight away.

“Shock and horror at the Maddison Street Bank” those lines hit Susan straight away and she glued her eyes to the TV, “Patricia Jenkins, a young woman attempted suicide today but was saved by a mysterious man, some are calling him an angel and some are calling him a monster” the young woman reporter suddenly approached Mr Carson. “So Mr Carson, what can you tell me about the incident that happened today?”

“Well I can tell you this for sure, the mysterious man is none other than Eric Jones, a slacker and a God damn nobody!” Susan had gone deadly silent trying to hold back the tears. “That slacker would spend all day staring at his monitor rather than worker, I’m glad I got this monster out of my bank, we don’t need his kind here!” Mr Carson suddenly stared at the camera. “You hear that Eric! Go back to your planet you freak!” he cried out angrily. Susan stood quickly and rushed out of the room.

“Oh my god…” Victoria uttered quietly.

 

Eric still sat at the door; it was as if he felt like he could be the barricade to keep all others out. Suddenly he felt a vibration from his pocket; he pulled out his old Nokia and looked at the caller ID, it was Susan. He answered quickly and pressed the phone to his ear.

“H-hello sweetheart?” he stuttered nervously.

“Oh god hun, are you okay? Where are you? What’s going on?” she spoke quickly throwing questions left right and centre.

“Slow down sweetie please, one at a time” he sighed and ran his hand down his face; she went silent for a few seconds then spoke once more.

“Where are you?” he chuckled weakly.

“I’m at home; I’m sat against the front door right now. The phone keeps ringing every few minutes” she didn’t reply for a moment; the shock had got her too rendering her thoughts processes lacking.

“Mr Carson fired you today then huh?” she asked him knowing the answer.

“Yeah, yeah he did” he replied sadly.

“He was on the news, called you a monster” he scoffed and shook his head.

“Maybe he’s right though” he paused for a second, “I mean look at me; I’m not like the other people out there. I never have been, I’ve always been different and forced to hide it away from society for this reason…they look at me now like I’m a monster” he began choking up.

“But you know that’s not true sweetheart! You’re still human just like every other person! The rights we have been given apply to you too” he sighed at her. “You’re not a monster, far from it. Listen I’ll be home soon I have to go now but promise me that you’ll stay there until I get back” he laughed loudly at her.

“Believe me I have no intention of going out there, not again, not today” she went quiet until she finally said something which lifted his spirits just a little.

“I love you sweetheart” she said caringly.

“I love you too…” he hung up straight after and leant his head on the door, the phone rang once again as he had done every ten to fifteen minutes. He wiped the tears that were welling in his eyes away and finally got up and sat down in the living room, not before shutting all the curtains shrouding him in the darkness.

  

The day had flown by and the sun was beginning to set on the city of New York. Susan rushed home quickly not fast enough to be called a jog but not slow enough to be called walking. As she approached their home she spied a group of reporters and journalists crowded outside, like vultures fighting over a carcass. As she approached the house they all suddenly turned to her quickly one by one, she could see in their eyes that she wasn’t going to be getting to her home without a fight. They rushed to her pushing and shoving each other, nothing but vile people all out to beat the others. They all spoke over each other and flashed their cameras at her blinding her and dazing her.

“Are you Susan Jones?!” one called out,

“How do you live with this monster every day?” another cried out.

“How has he kept his secret for so long!?” another blurted at her yet she did not reply to any question thrown at her and barged past rushing for her door. She had already readied the key and quickly threw it in the lock. She turned it quickly and slipped inside not allowing anyone to see inside. She locked it quickly once more and threw her body against the door and sighed loudly. She suddenly heard a chuckle come from the darkness, she looked up to see Eric sat upon the sofa in the next room looking to her and smiling. His face shimmered slightly from the sunlight peeking through the curtains, he had obviously been crying.

“Seems almost like déjà vu” he said chuckling, “Except this time it’s like I’m watching myself” she smiled at him and brushed her hair from her eyes.

“H-how are you feeling?” she said finally fumbling her words.

“I’m okay” he spoke sincerely, “Just a little shocked I guess” he creased up the corner of his mouth.

“Yeah I bet, I suppose that’s what happens when you throw yourself from a 6th floor window” she replied hoping to get a smile back from him, she succeeded.

“Hah! Yeah I suppose you would be right there” he looked through the gap in the curtains watch the shadows dancing around like a puppet show. “The reporters…they give you any trouble?” he asked.

“No, nothing a tough girl like me can’t handle anyway” she flexed her muscles causing him to laugh loudly at her; he wiped away a tear from his eye and sniffled. They both went silent for a moment and she finally approached him and sat at his side taking his hands in hers.

“I have to go out there one day, they’re going to see me…” he paused her a moment and looked to the floor, “Like this” he sighed and sat back finally yet still regained the grip on her hands.

“Well so what if they do? You’re still human just like any of them, just because you’re not exactly the same as everyone else doesn’t make you any less of a person” she smiled at him and kissed him on the cheek. “You captured my heart after all, this has never bothered me. Why one earth should it bother anyone else?” he smiled at her happily. “You’ll see, things will be fine in the end…I promise” a silence fell between them for a few moments, in those seconds it felt as if they were the only two in the world.

“You always know exactly the right thing to say, you know that right?”

“You’ve told me a few times before I believe” she replied jokingly.   

 

Night had fallen upon America and all who inhabited it, news had spread far and wide of the angel that saved a young woman from an attempted suicide. Shows were cancelled to the sound of breaking news the sight of reporter’s wearing excessive amounts of makeup. Yet in this day and age the media had corrupted the ideals of the younger generation in which beauty was all to do with how much makeup you could throw upon your face and how much surgery you could get. These were the thoughts that ran through Eric’s mind as he flicked through the TV channels one by one. Susan entered the living room quietly and walked past him to the window. She peeked out through the curtains to see news vans lined up and down the street; the most widely known van being the NYN, The New York News. Even a few lesser known crews had set up tents on their lawn, they knew they could go out and force them off the land but it would only stir them up again.

“They’re still out there aren’t they?” Eric asked finally, she opened her mouth when suddenly she was stopped in her tracks. “And don’t try lying, you know you’re a terrible liar” he smirked at her; purple bags were beginning to form under his eyes.

  “Yeah, they are but let’s forget about this for tonight hun, come on up to bed. You need your rest for tomorrow” he sighed and looked back to the TV yet she stood in front and switched it off. “Come on sweetheart” she held out her hand to him offering him the stability he needed both physically and emotionally. He took her hand and finally agreed to go to bed ending his day, yet he was still worried unknowing of what the next few days would bring him, fame or infamy. 



© 2013 Forgotten


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is great and as I can say well read~!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love your prose.

You really know how to move a story along.



Posted 11 Years Ago


wow

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow this is awesome! poor guy. it's good he has susan.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It's nice he has such a caring and sweet wife....I bet if she went and made him a sandwich already he would feel much better!! Just kidding! I'm liking it so far you still got my attention

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 27, 2013
Last Updated on February 27, 2013


Author

Forgotten
Forgotten

Gloucestershire, Stroud, United Kingdom



About
My real name is John-Paul Crawford, I do voluntary work at Stroud FM and hopefully after my training will be allowed my own slot on air. Writing takes up most of my time, I'm always trying to better m.. more..

Writing