The Rose Robe

The Rose Robe

A Story by Fran Marie

She had been ill for quite sometime now and was growing weaker by the day.Not totally bedridden at times she would shuffle across the room to sit by the window.
Donned in an old faded robe,yet colorful against her pallid complexion,she sat her
frail frame in a comfortable padded rocking chair.She reflected back upon her life~her youth filled days of wine, roses and love somehow it all seemed so fleeting~but in retrospect a slow-motion memory of those fun -filled days of double-sets tennis games,picnics,and times spent on the French Riviera,with friends and many lovers the Paris nights,filled with galmour and excitment.
Then she remembered his name,ah yes he had been the one she gave her heart to, but he took it and tore it into bits and pieces, and threw it away~like petals off a delicate Rose blown to the wind.
The memory still burned in her mind 'til this very day like wildfire soars to conquer one's soul
She had sought glory in his love, to be cherished by him alone but only a stinging memory is in her heart of a love denied.
The date had been set.The wedding dress looked lovely on her petite figure eautiful and cheerful with a rose blush on her face,the bride-to-be glowed as bright as stars sparkle on a moonlit night. but it was not to take place.
She was devastated and embarrassedleft waiting at the altar,her true love,the man she had trusted and given her heart had run out on her,yes,left her alone and broken hearted.
She remained an old spinster, bitter and full of coldness.her heart turned to stone,she had vowed no one would ever break this once fragil, now hardened heart again.
Now, as she tired and tears rolled down her pale cheeks she staggered back to her bed.Her skin grew even paler, more ashen hued as she disrobed and slipped into bed beneath her blanket of death.She was found the next day, dead at eighty-six with her faded rose robe on the bedroom floor.


© 2009 Fran Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is really good! It's terribly sad, but it's really good. It's such a cool topic to write on as well; the refusal to fully live because of a past disappointment. It's a good, touching topic if you can execute it well, and you definitely did. The story really made me feel for the character, and I love stories that can do that. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

  Fran Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks Seth, so very much Appriciated,
Seth Armstrong

9 Years Ago

You're welcome!



Reviews

This is really good! It's terribly sad, but it's really good. It's such a cool topic to write on as well; the refusal to fully live because of a past disappointment. It's a good, touching topic if you can execute it well, and you definitely did. The story really made me feel for the character, and I love stories that can do that. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

  Fran Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks Seth, so very much Appriciated,
Seth Armstrong

9 Years Ago

You're welcome!
Fran, this is a sad tale, but beautifully written. I am not surprised. All of your writing is done in a class all its own. Thank you for sharing!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I wrote a poem once, entitled, "The Life Clock", which ended with the line, "Who, then, has won/ When a young heart acts old?" This story reminded me of it. Did her choice to live seventy years of angry grieving gain her anything, except more anger, more grieving? Did her choice to live in the Past, rather than the Present, gain ANYONE anything, or merely create a chain of loss of unknowable length? This is more than sad, it is tragic, that her entire life was voluntarily thrown away...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a story within the poem! Disappointments and pain can get the best of us. We can let them take life away from us each day. Your poem is a poignant reminder to bury the hatchet and get on with life rather than take it with us to the grave.
I had a secret wish that the man who stood her up would suddenly arrive at her room with roses and confess love after all those years. That's my fairy tale heart kicking in there! haha
A gripping and well written poem!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

552 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 14, 2008
Last Updated on January 18, 2009

Author

  Fran Marie
Fran Marie

Paris, KY



About
object width="480" height="385"> more..

Writing
Noel Noel

A Poem by Fran Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain