Oh Marie

Oh Marie

A Poem by Fran Marie
"

poem about 18th century Queen Marie Antoinette married to Louis XVI of France

"




Oh Marie,
         Most fortunate one
         what goes on inside that head of yours
         whatever are you thinking?
         Attending masked balls in gay Paree
         such gala affairs, dancing with grace and savoir-faire
         laughter accompanies champaigne drinking
         
         
         

   Oh Marie,
        Your a one class act,haute-couture fashions your style
        Elite beaus lavish you with fineries,silk and gems
        taking pride in careless pleasures all the while
        impressing your haughty two-faced friends
        A devious grin perks up your smile
        Enchantment surrounds each palace event


 
Oh Marie
     Your indiscretions feed the common men's ear
     for their high monarch queen seems not to care
     Why not "let them eat cake" you say
     as you wine and dine in luxury another day
     Feasts indeed, fit for the merry queen fair
     meats,finest cusine and deserts with a flair


 
        
Oh Marie,
     Dance,yes, dance on at the maquerade ball
     entertain as you reign in sheer delight
     Your slyness has fooled them all
      as you tarry late into the dark night
     pride goes before the fall
     C'est la vie~ yes such is life

 


 
 
Oh Marie
      Has fortune run dry and carried you away
      to a distant guillotine?
      Viva la France!
      the people have screamed
      "we shall have our cake now
      with our favorite queen"
      
      

© 2017 Fran Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This made me laugh aloud, there's not only a touch of decadence in this but a tongue in cheek look at a woman who near defies explanation .. the history books of late still question her behaviour!

You have the knack of writing musically, always a super fine meter and use of words and phrases that aren't see too often in modern poetry .. it's a pleasure to read your poetry .. it truly is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Novel and coquettish caricature of the rash Marie...Exellently ‘executed’ in form, flow, cadence, imagery, musicality and rhyme. Could easily be a song. Love this!

Posted 6 Years Ago


  Fran Marie

6 Years Ago

Thanks Annette.. so very much appreciate your review..
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

My pleasure!
Great characterization. You've portrayed her as elegant but sly and simply imperfect. Your words dance with thoughts as you highlight her every move. It's such an adorable piece of writing that brings a smile to my face.

Keep Writing. ^___^

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this so much! The last stanza was perfectly perfect. I think it is indeed difficult to peer into the mind of the most misunderstod Queen, but you did well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You have a very vivid imagination, and it shows through well in this piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I just love to read your poems and they have a kind of professional and classic touch to it, the flow of words and the content everything goes well , you are a good writer!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Love the flow of the poem, and the accurate French makes this very lovely

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful poem. The flow is breezy and has an air about it that really suits the queen in a way that feels like gentle mockery. I enjoyed reading this piece. My favorite lines where "Has fortune run dry and carried you away / to a distant guillotine?" It made me laugh. Wonderfully done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This delivers a nicely decorative representation of that fanciful, disconnected and superficial era of the aristocratic court. The clash between the real world of the poor and starving masses and the high-living falseness of the palace and its fawning fornication of hedonistic decadence..
The lines are arranged like stitching on a lady-in-waiting's garment, and flow nicely with rhyme running like the lace trim which tops off such wealthy apparel. It's nicely stated, and the last stanza (Vive la France, btw) concludes the miniature history lesson quite tidily.. But the last two lines are the most telling, with a little macabre play on words...

I don't think this poem's little history sketch teaches us any new lessons (except perhaps subtly offering a little sympathy on behalf of the executed Queen), but it is a charming tributary vignette to an era.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This made me laugh aloud, there's not only a touch of decadence in this but a tongue in cheek look at a woman who near defies explanation .. the history books of late still question her behaviour!

You have the knack of writing musically, always a super fine meter and use of words and phrases that aren't see too often in modern poetry .. it's a pleasure to read your poetry .. it truly is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I thought this was a wonderful piece. It was unique and uplifting. I really enjoyed it =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2011 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2010
Last Updated on November 20, 2017

Author

  Fran Marie
Fran Marie

Paris, KY



About
object width="480" height="385"> more..

Writing
Noel Noel

A Poem by Fran Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..