Sapling

Sapling

A Poem by FWLeeds
"

Accidental life, intentional death

"

Sprouted out of nowhere, did an unexpected sapling. Born of missing eyes and coupled with a thirst for life unquenched by almost all that is now living.

 

It grew at first in shadows, in shadows where one wouldn’t think it possible for leaves to grow, but grew it did, apparently defying Mother Nature in her calls for it to gravitate towards the light.

 

Yes, grew it did. Deaf ears towards the world, the sapling persevered and somehow mustered up the strength to eke out its existence for times then up ahead.

 

It somehow knew. The sapling somehow knew that the life it had was all it had, and as such gave it absolutely every single thing it had, a kind of dedication not describable with words.

 

And yes, grew it did. It grew into the faces of those that had borne doubt, into once mocking mouths that then found their tongues restrained with luscious, verdant bonds, oh yes, the sapling grew.

 

Within my garden walls. My garden is the only place in which it had a chance to lay its roots, a place it did not choose, a decision made on its behalf outside of its control.

 

I wish it had have known. I truly wish it had have known, known that where it chose to make its home was wrong, as I looked down, its chlorophyll embrace extended up towards my arms.

 

I panicked. Confusion as to how or why this little plant survived surged through my simple mind and magnetised my hand towards the handle of a yearning nearby spade.

 

I took the spade in one, then both my hands, and swung it up above my head which caught a glimmer of the sun as it arced into the air, I left it there, and thought of nothing.

 

The spade came down. It came down with a callous force not of its own, but callous force nonetheless, a cruel blow that more than severed the sapling from its roots and killed it on the very spot where it once lived.

© 2017 FWLeeds


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on December 2, 2017
Last Updated on December 2, 2017
Tags: Nature

Author

FWLeeds
FWLeeds

Leeds, United Kingdom



About
Frank W Leeds 25 M more..

Writing
For Danielle For Danielle

A Poem by FWLeeds


The Glutton The Glutton

A Poem by FWLeeds