WHEN WE WERE CHILDREN

WHEN WE WERE CHILDREN

A Poem by a Messenger

 

 

When we were children

we'd run and play

worried about nothing

all through the day.

 

Our imaginations,

allowed to run free,

created adventures

for you and me.

 

We'd fight evil pirates

for an hour or so,

then off to be

cowboys we would go.

 

We rode on dragons

and elephants,

flying red carpets

and giant ants.

 

Then we would stop

and go have tea

with all your dolls

just you and me.

 

We invited fairies

and happy elves

but we always ate

the cookies ourselves.

 

Then it was time

to settle down

and watch that show

with Bozo the clown.

 

Then Howdy Doodie

and Buffalo Bob,

the clown Clarabell

made us laugh 'til we'd sob.

 

Then chase my dog

and your silly cat.

You just can't have

more fun than that.

 

Now we're all grown

and gone our own ways,

but I remember

those happier days.

© 2008 a Messenger


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can not understand how you always seem to get into the minds of little children so skillfully.
This was beautiful. It reminds me of my children though I don't think I could portray it as effectively.
I love the style of writting and the choice of words.I love the silly little shows' name; everything.
I wonderful piece of writting! I'm only sad to see it end. I give it 100%.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Sorry this is such a long time in coming. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things @ writerscafe, so I'm going through all my unanswered requests now!
I loved the playful nostalgia o fthis poem. Even though we have had our childhoods in different times, I love how fundamentally similar childhood always seems to be. There's no complexity -- just pure, simplistic joy. I think your work beautifully mirrors this idea in through its simple, steady meter and rhyming scheme...but that standard can be assumed with your writing. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Again you've outdone yourself with a poem about the way things used to be. Outstanding!


Posted 15 Years Ago


Things were much more simple were'nt they? Great write. Simple. Tells the story.
~jason

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is lovely. A childhood friendship between an boy and a girl. This sounds personal, like a friendship you remember with fondness yourself. I think that's what holds its appeal. *smiles*

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent happy read, those were the days my friend. Great write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful Rhyme and cadence through out the entire piece.

You had me thinking of two little boys; but then I realize, no there is a girl here. What a sweet twist.
The details of the games once played bring the memory of halcyon days forward into today's notebook.
The fact that you bother to include Clarabell the clown and Buffalo Bob put a postage stamp on this letter from the past you've sent.

Don't change a thing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And now I'm old and jaded. Thanks for reminding me!
haha great job as usual, thanks for the read request.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is a very nice poem it seems so playful and reminiscent

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I miss those days too. Wish I could share them with my children and grandchildren. A wonderful write. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hehehe.... now i want to go live in my fantasy life... hehehe... this is a great poem! I love how you get into the mind of childrens.... But instead of fighting off pirates I would join them and mary the hott one... Mmm.... but the hot one was my imaginary friend Tom so yeah... lol... Thomas would be the hero always even if he were a bad guy... But then again when i was little i always wanted to get kidnapped by people but you know me... they'd treat me like a princess and Tom was always there and we'd get married... Oh wow... I'm off subject lol... This is a great Poem! Good Job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
30 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 29, 2008

Author

a Messenger
a Messenger

FL



About
I'm back. New name and profile, but less confusing than having two under the same name. I hope! G. Harrison Quay is gone and a Messenger is born. If you were one of my friends before, ple.. more..

Writing