NOTE LEFT ON A PLATE AT A BUFFET

NOTE LEFT ON A PLATE AT A BUFFET

A Poem by Glen Fitch



    I like the way you eat.

             It says a lot about a man,

             your way with fork and knife.

    You're careful,

    cautious of what's hot,

             but with each bite

                      I watch you relish life.

             My God,

                      if you could see yourself

                               right now as I do.

    Did you know your eye brows

             dance each swallow?

                      Others munch and gnaw

                      like cow or pig at troth,

                      like zombies in a trance.

    You savor,

    pace yourself and

    wisely pick.

    You breathe.

    You drink,

             not greedy gulps,

    but sips.

             And when just now

                      that sauce I saw you lick,

                               I thought

             'If only I could only kiss those lips.'

    But now your face

             reveals dismay, surprise.

    Look up

             and see the hunger in my eyes.   
 

© 2008 Glen Fitch


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey, this is a fun read.
People-watching can be very instructive, and buffets are a good place at which to do it.
I'm not sure if the addressee is supposed to be reading the note at the time, or if the note isn't literal and is more the narrator's internal dialogue - but what a cool note to receive if it is...although I guess it could make the person self conscious or freak them out a bit.
You've done a good job with the rhyme scheme; it's fairly subtle and helps carry the flow.
How high did he pile his plate? Haha, the judging that goes on at buffets...
Overall, a well-written and intriguing poem.
Wonder if it worked out for them.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderful write. I like to watch people as well. Many times body language will tell you more truths then the spoken word. You rhyme scheme is well done and smooth. Very creative idea as well. I especially like the ending because the eyes or doing opposite of what they are admiring. LOL So human. Well done fellow poet.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Oh my god how in love with this piece am I? I am so in love with this piece I want to roll around in it naked...I want to get it to do unspeakable things to me...over and over again...seriously well done. The only thing I might suggest is drop one of the "only"s in your desire to kiss those lips...other than that...I am in love with this piece.

-kimmer



Posted 11 Years Ago


this is also great thank you for sharing

Posted 11 Years Ago


You paint a wonderful picture of a man eating in the company of his loving friend. I like the way you use space, not only in the content of the poem itself but also in the graphical nature of the cascading lines.

I'm new here. Be nice to get a once over. Any poem will do. It won't take long, I promise.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I wonder if the one you were watching would get nervous if he looked up..i would *winks..
i like how you have transformed something as routine as eating into poetry..an astute observation always makes a difference..a normal mechanical mundane movement can be the most magical moment being performed if piad adequate attention.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this is great! I never imagined a "Note left on a plate at the buffet" but how intriguing!
Gives me new ideas, anyways!! WELL DONE!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hey, this is a fun read.
People-watching can be very instructive, and buffets are a good place at which to do it.
I'm not sure if the addressee is supposed to be reading the note at the time, or if the note isn't literal and is more the narrator's internal dialogue - but what a cool note to receive if it is...although I guess it could make the person self conscious or freak them out a bit.
You've done a good job with the rhyme scheme; it's fairly subtle and helps carry the flow.
How high did he pile his plate? Haha, the judging that goes on at buffets...
Overall, a well-written and intriguing poem.
Wonder if it worked out for them.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

731 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 5, 2008
Last Updated on September 5, 2008

Author

Glen Fitch
Glen Fitch

Monterey, CA



About
A word is a wager in thought. Every one I pick is a bet that it will mean to you what it means to me. That is at least today, relevant to my race, class, gender and community. The fine print in my poe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..