Cemetary Play

Cemetary Play

A Poem by B arbara Franzen
"

I am going to share Cemetery Play One night after taking flowers to a grave, I felt as though the spirits were going to come out to dance and play as soon as I left. I come from a German Swedish com.

"

Taking flowers to my friend, I bowed down and whispered through the ground of loving him


About to go I saw the sun stretched across the sky in colors grand.

The grass lawn grown dark, I said good bye. But then I heard a voice  scattered through the brilliant clouds, rubicund, sapphire, blushing pink, azure, and florid too. I knew it was the spirits talking, unaware of me or how I heard them making plans for night" voices going back and forth they said that after dark they’d crawl clean out the grave for daily dance and tea.


And I could see them dancing on the ground, their greeting face to face. The Germans, Swedish, Danish, English too, and taking corners of the cemetery"their dress original. These friends they’d waltz about the lawn till midnight. Taking time for tea, they’d hold the babies and gladly play with the children, having snacks before their final dance, a polka. Or maybe they'd stay till dawn when time to crawl back down into their graves to sleep all day Just imagine that and all of their old fashioned ways. Smiling I can think of no good reason for dreading death.

© 2014 B arbara Franzen


Author's Note

B arbara Franzen
I don'to have the right picture with me so I published tee brothers and a sister who are buried in the cemetery at home. They immigrated from Sweden on a ship form a well to do family. The woman, Agnus adopted my mother and sister whose mother died in the 1919 flu pandemic.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

An enjoyable read. I've been known to wander through graveyards, speaking to the residents. One day, I hope someone will do the same for me. As long as we're remembered, we're not really gone.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

B arbara Franzen

9 Years Ago

Thanks Samuel. This was inspired by a walk when I was taking pictures for Ancestry one evening. I fe.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 10, 2014
Last Updated on October 10, 2014
Tags: German, Swedish, Danish, English, sunset, kids, children, kiss, costumes, flowers, delightful, dance, nap, crumpets tea