Scary aliens with pointy teeth.

Scary aliens with pointy teeth.

A Story by Onatah

Imagine you’re an alien. Your species has made incredible advancements in technology and philosophy in your hundreds of thousands of years of recorded history.

-Cogito ergo sum-

You’re exploring your galaxy because your technology enables you to move from star to star economically while gathering data from each star and its satellites. Around one star you find an orbiting planet with a species intelligent enough to be aware of it’s own existence.  You are intrigued, so you decide to gather more data on the planet’s inhabitants.

-An ethical contradiction-

You discover something troubling about this species: It is omnivorous, and meat is its favorite food. You find it curious; a being with enough cognition to recognize and understand other living things as they are, and yet it chooses to use them to its own ends. You decide not to hold judgment against it just yet and watch a while longer. You wait a few moments, and then you watch as the creature begins to discover philosophy. You expect it should cause an awakening soon, but they go on eating their brothers and sisters. A moment passes by and they’ve discovered their place in the universe. Some of them still believe they are the center of it. You still don’t blame them because you realize that they only alive for a second or two.

-The industrial evolution-

You watch as they grow in understanding and knowledge in order to destroy each other more effectively. Meanwhile, they are reading self-improvement books while eating a chicken dinner. They donate to charities and fantasize about horrid alien monsters from other worlds.

-Scary aliens with pointy teeth-

They look up at the sky. They reference their own history and decide it might be dangerous to advertise their whereabouts to other dangerous life forms. Then they take a bite of meat. You decide they are right, and you label them in the database as a potential harm.

© 2011 Onatah


Author's Note

Onatah
I was reading about the newly discovered planet today when my girlfriend asked if I thought there was life looking back at us from that planet. I went on of those rants that starts off at medium volume and builds from there. “Probably not, but if anyone is there, why would they want anything to do with us?” I asked. “Maybe they passed by us centuries ago and saw that we slaughter and eat living creatures, even though we have the mental capacity to understand that other creatures can feel pain and pleasure. Maybe they’re on that planet over there with the guns pointed right at us in case we decide to pay them a visit! Haven’t you ever thought of it? WE are the scary aliens with pointy teeth!”

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very interesting topic to write about, and I sincerely respect this unique thought of writing! I LOVE paranormal thoughts, ideas, and theories, so just by the name of this write I was interested with your story. And you didn't disappoint, each 'theory' is very valid and could probably be true. I will admit that I got a little cricket in my neck for reading informational write, but I was worth it, because I did leave your story with a pondering mind and some new thoughts! I really enjoyed reading this write, keep up the awesome work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well, we (mankind) are a strange lot. Capable of both good and evil, our presence among those of another world might be a bit like the unstable, ex-POW uncle that could start flinging mashed potatoes at any time.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You gave me great information. I like the way you set-up the chapter. You have my attention. You open up many questions with many answers. I hope to read more on this topic and story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a very interesting topic to write about, and I sincerely respect this unique thought of writing! I LOVE paranormal thoughts, ideas, and theories, so just by the name of this write I was interested with your story. And you didn't disappoint, each 'theory' is very valid and could probably be true. I will admit that I got a little cricket in my neck for reading informational write, but I was worth it, because I did leave your story with a pondering mind and some new thoughts! I really enjoyed reading this write, keep up the awesome work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And maybe we are not as bad and horrible as you would think.

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

710 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on December 7, 2011
Last Updated on December 7, 2011
Tags: scifi, aliens, planet


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Brushes Brushes

A Poem by Robin


memorials... memorials...

A Poem by Brad


Coffee Coffee

A Poem by Wild Rose