Splash The Ash

Splash The Ash

A Poem by Devons

It lights my way; to me, a cure

But chain-link of some ‘said’ disease

Narcotic, fuming-scent, allure

But sure to bring me to my knees.

 

Crack the carton! Splash the ash!

Deal the tubes, and up & torch ‘em!

Read the science, do the math

Heed the warnings: die with caution.

 

The surge of life, it feeds me

With poison, but if need be

I’ll suck it up within this shell

My body, not soul, is going to hell.

 

Its spark is flamed by petrol

Its gas will kill me yet

It feels so good that I am mental

To smoke another cigarette.

© 2015 Devons


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

die with caution. - that made me smile, those big pictures and f**k-off words on the front of the packs came to mind.

I don't get why people get so offended with people smoking in the grand scheme of things yano? All power to those who want to give up, but at the end of the day, sod it, I say. Nice piece, refreshing subject matter.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ha...........I'm as mental as you.........great sarcasm and wit..........why do we do it?!
Love the title, very apt.......and now to ponder how to give up!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ah, the ritual and habitual act of smoking. Non smokers will never get it. Very nicely captured in this small expose on the perils and joys of smoking. How can we be so informed on the harms and hazards of smoking yet continue to enjoy, yes enjoy, the self destructive habit that appeases, calms, focuses our concentration and is simply, like coffee and sex, one of the better things in life? I just don't know but to paraphrase Mark Twain, I quit every day: every time I go to sleep.

Nice (hack-cough) write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Okay i have never smoked,but i guess any sort of addiction feels the same.I love how you are so smooth,intelligent with your words.The first two lines It lights my way; to me, a cure

But chain-link of some ‘said’ disease..'chain link of said disease..and then the third stanza.I like how you said 'i will suck it up within this shell'..:)..
Your words were edgy,real and as they should be.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm sure every smoker has thought along these lines. This is written very well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


lol....brotha this was some good s**t. Hits home pretty good since I just quit 6 effing days ago. Like usual this is really well written...I do not question your mad skills thats for sure. Can I bum a smoke?

Posted 13 Years Ago


chain-link -- Curious play on words, like chain-smoke, no?

Loved this. Reminds me of my friend who always says "f**k it, I'll die anyways, at least I'll die doing something I enjoy." I never quite understood the reason behind smoking cigarettes (I'm a fan of weed myself), but you definitely describe it well here. Love the rhythm, very powerful. Another great piece. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


awesome piece of poetry, especially the third stanza...:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is really good. my parents are both smokers. this reminds me so much of my dad. sorry im not a very constructive reviewer :P when i like something i just do. its hard to say why. good job :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

568 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 28, 2010
Last Updated on May 26, 2015
Tags: cigarettes, smoking, health

Author

Devons
Devons

South West, United Kingdom



About
WE BREAK ACROSS THESE TRAM LINES I DRAW by Haz I draw them with lines of reflections through their steps enough space between them for your space.. more..

Writing
O Superman O Superman

A Poem by Devons



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Midnight Ink Midnight Ink

A Poem by Robin


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin