The Scent Of Carnations

The Scent Of Carnations

A Poem by Devons
"

based on a 'true' story

"
Came one night, someone said
"Who was that lady?
The one that just left?"
"What lady?" I asked (there was no-one else there)
"She just passed me in the hallway, immaculately dressed
a fluffy cream blouse and blueish-rinse hair"
(If she'd known who she was, she'd be rather impressed)
"Short lady; glasses, blue suit, debonair -
And the way that she looked at me!
She gave me such a stare!"
Miss McPherson is dead
she's been dead now for years
she'd never leave this place, she said
now she echoes in my ears
I heard her counting coins
at the end of the night
she once cut a small figure
and ever so slight
but commanded a presence
just like she still does
an immaculate essence
and a scent of carnations
blue rinse and glasses
and she always wore gloves
Miss McPherson is dead
but she's really still here
she'd never leave this place, she said
there's really nothing to fear
I took over her classes
of church hall dances
that's her picture on the wall
at a glittering ball
The Grosvenor, '55 
(some time before she died)
but she's very much alive
moving hangers in the cloakroom
her footsteps by the door
she's still here, though she's really no more
Miss McPherson is dead
though her music still plays
she'd never leave this place, she said
how she loved the old days!
And as I count these coins
I can smell her carnations
Were the fruits of her loins
just invisible sensations?
Feelings of bliss must always persist
and part of what's gone will always live on
The soul must be at rest, the churchman attests
and even science appears to be bluffing
for nothing is ever what it seems
and always seems to be nothing
Miss McPherson is dead
but is there really such a thing?
she'd never leave this place, she said
what does death really bring?

© 2015 Devons


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am so hung up on the point that the last stanza makes. It really doesn't matter where its physical manifestation, memories or rattles in the night....death may not be what we think it is. I like to think that death is just like many of the other principals of energy and when the mortal shell kicks, the energy returns to its original form as another life...kind of like a spring. I think that is what reincarnation is. 98% physics, 2% psychics. Not that I would ever pretend to know...but this what I thought about when I read this. The whole thing was beautifully laid out like a buffet on Easter. But really....the last stanza could very well stand alone. You rock.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

She reminds me of one those old stuffy brit ladies from the black and white era...an Elinore Rigbsy of sort...maybe that's just my American stereotyping though lol I like the character sketch of her, which is like a bio, but then it's mixed in with the metaphysical, or mystical, if one's into that. I like all the tactile details like the coins and carnations - made the poem more "alive" (insert irony). I think it can be cleaned up in a few places, for instance, you use the word "immaculate" twice, and unless that's a hint for the reader to draw a parallism or contrast, I'd use another word. There are other very minor changes I would make personally, (like strengthening the refrain a bit, or maybe even turn it into parallel construction) but that's prob due more to my individual taste lol The rhyme was unobtrusive as well, which is always a good. Nice job. This def could've been a Halloween-ish poem;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very captivating poem. The rhyme is great - it really works to add to the 'haunting' feel of this piece. I loved the images too. Very nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Refreshing but stale.
Trust me, that's a compliment.
It's very difficult to morph a poem out of one's past
And still make it alive.

I like such poetry. It's biopic but still half-done, which adds to its suspense as well as sensuousness.
The reader is a bit perplexed about your view of the lady, your relation with her.
Maybe she didn't exist at all.

The poem could mean so many things.
And the title is suite.

Thanks Devons.

PS. Sorry for being out of touch. I've been a bit screwed up by college.
Cheers!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Many of us have had an experience of a "Miss McPherson"... this was both whip smart and haunting (forgive the pun). I can see her wandering the dance hall, inspecting the coatroom and moving to the music. It really does give one pause... can a soul truly remain earthbound or is it merely a hologram of sorts? Perhaps her energy left some cosmic impression in the studio. Who knows. But, as always, you have told the story with such mastery that it was playing out before my eyes.

Posted 13 Years Ago


For those who believe in ghosts (I've never had a paranormal encounter to be able to formulate any opinions on that subject, so I can't say I believe in ghosts), they say the spirit tends to linger holding on to things, wandering places, that played a big part in their lives and will always be associated to that person.
It is a nice story you recount; an unassuming and believable one.

Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I am so hung up on the point that the last stanza makes. It really doesn't matter where its physical manifestation, memories or rattles in the night....death may not be what we think it is. I like to think that death is just like many of the other principals of energy and when the mortal shell kicks, the energy returns to its original form as another life...kind of like a spring. I think that is what reincarnation is. 98% physics, 2% psychics. Not that I would ever pretend to know...but this what I thought about when I read this. The whole thing was beautifully laid out like a buffet on Easter. But really....the last stanza could very well stand alone. You rock.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like how pertaining to the theme..your words also haunt and echo throughout.I like :Feelings of bliss must always persist
and part of what's gone will always live on
The soul must be at rest, the churchman attests
and even science appears to be bluffing
for nothing is ever what it seems
and always seems to be nothing
The soul never dies.Eternal it is.Bodies are changed by the soul as we change clothes in human lives...death is certain not definite and the end..


Posted 13 Years Ago


this is beautiful and quirky, and filled with life. i can envision her so clearly. it could almost be a beatles song with how precisely she is described. and your sing songy repetition of key phrases pulls you along, lulls you into a modern fiary-tale type sense. it would make an excellent movie short a la "close encounters" or "amazing stories".

she sounds like someone i'dve loved to have known

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
You description of this lady is wonderful, I can picture and you give us a insight into a life gone by, simply exquisite writing. Whether you think there is such a thing as ghosts or afterlife, is irrelevant, your poem is a ode to this lady and really enjoyed reading it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


immaculate writing...the small figure,clean dressing,scent of Carnations is i think your idea of a woman with substance...this write haunts...a scintillating copper blue...chanted like an incantation...lovely piece of work and thats the trade mark of our author...:)
what doe sdying bring..i think it brings a degree of freedom and perhaps a distant approach to perceive things far away from family and fashions...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

681 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2010
Last Updated on May 26, 2015
Tags: ghosts, paranormal

Author

Devons
Devons

South West, United Kingdom



About
WE BREAK ACROSS THESE TRAM LINES I DRAW by Haz I draw them with lines of reflections through their steps enough space between them for your space.. more..

Writing
O Superman O Superman

A Poem by Devons



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..