Ch. 16: From Alice to Suzie-Q. August 10, 2005.

Ch. 16: From Alice to Suzie-Q. August 10, 2005.

A Chapter by Gee Roughin

Dear Suzie-Q,

           

I'm starting to get depressed. I guess that's not as bad as going crazy! but I do have daily contact with the prison staff. At first they were much more careful, but I think they know by now I'm not qualified to make a break and I have no experience with explosives. They're much more relaxed.

           

I wish I could describe this scene to you. I'm in a rural place, very removed. The staff are just poor people who needed to eat. When I came they thought I was a big fish, they were all so nervous! There are many things I'd like to explain, about their daily interactions with me--cultural details that would blow you away! But if there's one thing the "negotiators" keep repeating to me, it's that if I want to make it out I will have to promise absolute secrecy about everything, including where I am, so I can't really tell you what my world is like.

           

It's only been three months, but I feel like it's been a lifetime. Like I got dropped into a hole. Like I got dropped down into the bottom of a well. Makes me think of your first three months, and how you kept talking about them all these years.

 

Suzie-Q, the exclamation points have almost dropped out of my brain. It feels strange, after watching and telling so much disaster over time, I was never so low as now. I wrote a really upbeat letter to my mother a week ago--I told her I was sure I was going to die--I still am. I think this last week maybe the words I put down on paper are starting to sink in. That I don't think the letter will reach her. That I never got to say goodbye--that I never told her what she meant to me--that I really do believe--with fervency, like her sect that wallowed in uncanny powers--I know this is the end--I know. With no evidence, but no doubt. Suzie-Q, I will never see her or you again. And maybe you will never know what happened to me.

           

I can't write another goodbye. It's different--we've said everything to each other over the years--you don't need me to tell you what you already know.

           
I hope you're strong! One last exclamation point for you, my friend--since the answer is deep in my soul, and the source of all my courage.
 
Love to my love,
 
Alice


© 2011 Gee Roughin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
Added on November 6, 2011
Last Updated on November 6, 2011
Tags: fear, paranoia, America, 80s, prison, war journalism, paranoid wasp


Author

Gee Roughin
Gee Roughin

Cairo, Egypt



About
Before spending seven years writing Paranoid Wasp, I studied literature at Wheaton College (IL), Yale University and the University of Chicago. I moved to Paris in 1999. In addition to ten years in Fr.. more..

Writing