WORDS CAN'T TELL

WORDS CAN'T TELL

A Story by Prime
"

Love is blind. It sees but it doesn't mind: Love is speechless. Can you love somebody who can't speak? This is the product of my psychological torture at August 05, 2013. Enjoy reading !

"

“Words can’t tell how much you love a person…

Words can’t tell how much you really mean to me…”

 

          Loving someone who cannot speak is not as easy as you think. It is as hard as hell, but as sweet as sugar.

          Kris Daven for you, and loving Bree Stanley proved that words can’t tell how much you love a person, and how much that person means to you. And although it was hard, it was never on my regrets.


-

 

          It all started years ago, in Bresse, the bridge of the town…

          I was sitting alone on the edge, watching the river below flow endlessly, under the moonlit starry sky.

          It was a dark night, maybe about past ten in the evening, and it was not likely of me in my age, fourteen, to go astray at near midnight. But it was no ordinary night. It was one of the worst nights of my life.

          I just had my heartbreak with my grandest obsession, Daniela Marie. She took me down. She had been my since elementary and became my obsession when we reached our freshmen years until that moment of my sophomore life.

          I simply asked her if I had any chance; well, she knew about my unrequited love for her, and she simply stated that there are many people in this world and only one is made for me, but that was absolutely not her!

          Terrible, it’s so terrible to hear those words of rejection coming from your loved one directly.

          No tears were flowing of my eyes, which was better, because I used to believe that real boys don’t cry, even if my eyes were almost giving in to the tension inside me.

          It was then that when I turned my head sideways, I saw this girl who changed my life forever. She was sitting on the opposite edge of the bridge, and I could tell that she was crying hardly on her own arms. She must be having a hard time with her life as well. And the thought of helping others as a good idea crossed my mind, so I stood up and made my way towards her.

          I reached her, and I saw a sort-of paper pads beside her. I asked her, “Miss, would you mind telling me what your problem is?”

          But no response could be heard other than her sobs and silent cry.

          I took a hanky of mine and offered it to her, for a good start.

“You know, miss, you can use this…” I offered, and she stopped for a while, then with her amber eyes, she stared right through my brown eyes. I resisted her eyes, and slowly, hesitantly, she took my hanky and sobbed on it, harder.

          I really wanted to laugh at her that time, but still, I managed to contain my emotions.

          Later onwards, I asked her. “What’s your name, miss?”

          But still, there was no response. I repeated my question, “Miss, what’s your name?”

          She took a paper pad beside her then wrote something and then showed it to me. I admit, I was greatly amused at her penmanship which was so opposite mine. If her penmanship was that of an engineer, mine would be that of a BS Medical Technology undergraduate.

          BREE STANLEY, that’s my name.

          Upon knowing that, I became more interested with her, and I’d like to hear her voice…

          “Oh, nice meeting and knowing you, Bree.” I said, offering my hand. “My name’s Kris Daven.”

          She didn’t take my hand, which was a bit offending. Instead, she took another paper pad and wrote…

          Nice meeting and knowing you, too, Kris Daven.

          And I was amused upon realizing that she did know the exact spelling of my name in the first place.

I simply moved my hand off to avoid further embarrassment, then I interrogated her again. “You are quite sad, Bree. Would you mind telling me about it?”

She took another pad and wrote again, then I started to wonder…

          Can I trust you?

          I nodded my head in answer, and when she started to write again, I was forced to ask her that maybe sounded harsh and offending, “Can’t you speak, Bree?”

          She just blankly stared right through my brown eyes once again, and I felt my heart skip a beat. She took a separate pad and wrote…

          Please understand me.

          “What? How? Why?” I asked, because I simply didn’t understand.

          And she showed me a compilation of her paper pads which was behind her other paper pads on top.

          I didn’t know what to do with it, so I just simply took it, and flipped the first page which was blank. I read the contents of second page.

 

          I am Bree Stanley, thirteen years old, and this is more like my diary. This compilation is where I will write my experiences and all matters about my life.

 

          I flipped the page and went to the third one.

 

          There they go again. People I know by face or by name, and people I don’t know. I am being drastically bullied! And I hate it! Don’t they just find anything to do with their lives that they just see me as someone to be made fun of? Is that really how things are supposed to be because I can’t speak?

 

          End. So she was being bullied, but why can’t she speak? I flipped the page and went to the fourth.

 

          Every day of my life I am suffering, I am being made fun of. My existence is being taken for granted! Just when will all these bullies stop?

          I have a problem with my throat, since I was a little child, and I don’t want to sound terrible that’s why I don’t speak and just use these pads for communication.

 

          Oh, so that’s why. I glanced at her. She was looking down and the river, and that moment I knew about what she had been going through, I saw the pain through her face. I flipped another page.

 

          Nobody understands me; most people think I’m crazy. Most people think I am mute. And most people use my disability for leisure. I know it’s fun on the part of those people, and maybe even to you. But for us who suffer, it is a great pain in the chest.

          We are also humans, just like everyone. We have feelings. I think it’s okay if it is just until emotional and physical torture. But this suffering of mine goes to the psychological level.

 

          Another page was flipped.

 

Every night I can’t sleep, afraid that I might dream about what they have been doing to me. From the unbearable teases, to the feel of stones on my body since childhood, to the feel of water all over my face because of the big boys that dips me in a drum of water, to the feel of fingers pressed hardly against my cheeks with great force, to the fists that hit my body, to the physical torture they have been doing to me and many more… Well, I’m lucky enough I haven’t been raped, because they all say the same things to me… I AM UGLY and NO ONE WANTS ME.

          Hearing those simple words were great relief, but on the other hand, a great insult and a great slap in the face. If no one wants me nor needs me, then I have no place in this world.

 

          I couldn’t take reading her notes anymore, because it seemed like I feel the same way she did. I felt the heave in my chest and the spice in the corners of my eyes.

          “I understand you have been going through a lot of hardships in your life, Bree. But always remember that you’re never alone.” I said, not to deprive her of hope, but to do the opposite. She raised her head and stared right through me, eyes in question. “From now on, you’ll never be alone. I will be your friend; I can even be your best friend. I’d go with you in school and everywhere so no one will hurt you anymore.”

          She took another pad and wrote…

          Are you serious?

          I nodded my head with a smile. “Yes, I am.”

          And I saw her lips curve to smile, for the first time. And it was then that I saw her real beauty " the beauty behind those scars and miseries. And all I can say even up to this very moment is that, she is simply beautiful.

          “I guess we can now go to our homes and have a good night’s sleep, Bree…” I said.

          And she replied in the same manner (writing in her pad)…

          Sure. Let’s go.

          “Would you tell me where your house is located? I could guide you there. Well, you’re a girl and it’s already evening…”

          But she quickly wrote in another pad…

          Don’t worry. I am ugly and no one wants me.

          And I felt the pain in that, so I was left speechless. “Well, you can tell me your address. I would still guide you there…”

          She stopped and was hesitant for a while, and then she replied. She relayed her address to me, and it was not really far from Bresse, so it was not a bother to guide her to her way home. And when we were half on the way, I tried to hold her hand. I did, but only for a short while as she immediately moved it away. But on that quick touch, I’m sure I felt her temperature which was very unusual. Her palm was as cold as ice. And silence took over the whole trip once again.

          When we reached the gate of her house, which seriously looked like a small apartment, I felt pity for her that I asked. “With whom do you live here, Bree?”

          She quickly took a pad and replied…

          My sickly mama and I have been living alone since papa died many years ago.

          And I felt the pain again, somewhere in my chest.

          “I’m sorry to hear that, Bree.” I said. “I’m going anyway. Good night!”

          And when I turned, I was surprised when she rushed at me, and then hugs me. And for the first time, I heard her very little voice in my ears which was like a winter’s whisper.

          “Thank you…

          Isn’t it awkward?

A person who was more like a stranger you just knew this night, hugged you as if you’d known each other for years, and what’s more bizarre is that… I even felt like hugging her back.

          I didn’t hesitate; I let my warm palm travel across her cold back, and she just let go that felt incomplete then ran inside through the gate of their house and inside.

          I felt like there was nothing left for me to do, so I also left and went to our house.

 

          That night was merely not the quick end of something we have started, as I had known her in school. She was in a lower section that’s why she suffered bullies. But every break time, I go to their room to check on her, and I came face-to-face with those bullies that were just her classmates " the big boys and others. One time they were all circling Bree around and it was as if they were planning to do something bad, that I interfered.

          “What’s your problem with Bree, mates?” I asked in a pathetic manner.

          “Her problem is with us, mate. But if you want to take her place…” said a big boy while crunching his fist.

          I was ready for a violent physical encounter when the teacher for their next subject arrived. The tension was ended. But one time, those boys really need to learn their lesson.

          I left.

          And at lunch break, I fetched her from their classroom and made her have her lunch with me and my friends. She was shy at first, because even my friends and some of my classmates were not in favor with my decision of keeping her company.

          As not to make her feel bad, I went with her. We were given chance to be alone outside the school campus in a grill. I really wanted to hear her voice, but she still brings her pads with her. So, I decided to train her with speech.

          She was eager, but she just can’t. Her voice sounds too soft as an air. And I realized that her real problem was her voice which seemed like a whisper. Something is really wrong with her throat, not with her tongue.

          I told her, “Train with it. Maybe you will get your real voice someday. Constant practice makes it perfect, Bree.”

          But she replied, using her pad.

          It’s no use. I have been doing these before, but every time it was a failure.

          “Well, this time we’ll make it a success, okay?” I said. “I’ll help you.”

          And she smiled.

 

          Next I helped her with is socializing. I formally introduced her to my friends and I readily saw the disgust on their faces, and I know it was insulting on her part when she saw them. But I told her, “Be confident. They will accept you, but not maybe now.”

          Again, I saw her smile.

          I’m good at handling conversations, so I managed to let Bree communicate with my friends in a peaceful manner also with the help of her pads as she could not speak.

 

          And when she set foot on their classroom, I felt her trembling. I knew she was afraid to see those bullies. She was afraid that they might see us together, as we have unfinished business. So, I simply told her before going away, “Don’t mind them if they are teasing you. They will feel stupid.”

 

          Days passed, months, and even years! I realized that Bree and I were not just simply friends anymore but the best of such, as we have gotten closer and I used to prefer her than my original friends, because each day I knew her, I find no reason why I should neglect her and choose those who despise her that if you just think about it, they have no reason to.

          And yeah, my original friends still doesn’t want her up to this very moment in my senior life. If they do connect with her, it’s in a ‘plastic’ manner.

          About those bullies that are still Bree’s classmates? I have taught them a lesson last year, when I haven’t controlled my temper and we have been suspended for two weeks as consequence and our parents were called to the guidance counselor. Another consequence is that we’d do community service, but as the guidance counselor understood my point, that I was just protecting Bree, and it’s one against many of them, she considered me not to do the other consequence, which I think enraged those big boys more.

          Bree, who still can’t speak, have become a better person, as she can manage herself now and then. And I just forgot my heartache with Daniela Marie because of Bree. It seems like it was gone in a flash.

          Anyway, Bree and I are still training with her speech.

          I introduced Bree to my parents and to my older sister, they liked her that much. They said Bree is someone to be kept, not abused. Bree also introduced me to her mama who spent her life in a wheelchair, and Bree had to feed her now and then. I knew about their history then.

          Bree’s mama and papa met an accident years before when they were on the trip to the hospital for surgical treatment for Bree’s throat. The fund supposed to be for her treatment was rather used for her mama’s recovery that was lucky enough to survive, but too unlucky to suffer partial paralysis all throughout her life and her papa’s funeral who managed to leave life in an easy way. I am greatly touched with their situation. Swear, tears fell from my eyes because of these.

          Her mama can talk and be like a rational being, but she just can’t move.

          But knowing that, I chose to be closer with Bree that one day, I was quite surprised that it was not just pity and anything natural that is from me to her. And that is love.

          It was hard for me, and I should keep my feelings to myself, especially now that Bree has been eyeing on a boy which is just my classmate, Terrence.

          It hurts in some way that she notices him who wasn’t there for her all the time than me who spent almost all my life just to make her a better person.

          But still, as her best friend, I have no choice but to support her, so I encouraged her, which led her away from me. “You’re beautiful. You’re may be good together. There’s no harm in trying, anyway, Bree.”

          And she asks me…

          Seriously?

          I nod, but when she turned the other way, I felt spice in the corners of my eyes, and the stab in my chest that I just said, “excuse me,” and walked away.

 

          She did try, I gave her the chance. I set her free. We have been passive for two months. I let her try her luck with Terrence, and I can see that she is happy with what she has been doing. And seeing her happy also makes me happy, but knowing that I can’t make her as happy as that is a pain in my heart.

          She could make Terrence do sweet things to her, and we seem to have changed a lot that we couldn’t talk well anymore. She was always preoccupied by Terrence, and I get myself preoccupied with other things because if I just keep on observing her, I’m sure I’d be crazy. It’s just damn painful.

          But one day she just comes running to me, then hugs me tight while crying.

          “Oh, what’s wrong, Bree?” I asked, and I felt pain on me as well. I can’t take seeing her like that.

          She whispered in reply. “Terrence took me for granted.” And I feel the pain in that. So she really loved Terrence.

          After hearing that, I asked her more questions to complete the details and here it goes. Terrence was just using Bree because she is smart and that he needs her support in his studies, because he is having low grades in the past grading. That’s why Terrence and he had gotten close, and now that Terrence had redeemed his grades, he neglected Bree because he didn’t need her anymore. Swear, hearing that enrages me that I wanted to give Terrence a great fist hard on his face.

          But I stopped it, for Bree.

          At night, when I was also spending my time in Bresse, I saw her. Bresse is the only place she comes to, aside from me, if problems arouse.

I came to her, made her lay her head on my chest, my arm around her back, and I sing to her to sleep.

          What I sang is the song Words Can’t Tell that I composed which suits my part well. If you want to see the lyrics of the song, please refer to the first page.

          If she understands the message, then she would know about this stupid love of mine. But I just hope that she would not. And I really think she doesn’t.

          We got closer again afterwards, and she forgets about Terrence, but the scar she had made to me had given me the choice to simply distance myself away from her sometimes.

          Something’s pretty wrong with us, but nobody makes a sound about it.

          She then started mentioning about Eric, her classmate, whom she finds alluring and sweet. And it gave me a feeling, that this is another trouble.

          And I was right.

          Sometime near the Christmas Break, she confirmed to me that she starts to fall for Eric, and that this time, it’s something ‘different’ than what she had with Terrence.

          I gave her the chance again; I gave her the time and space she needs voluntarily without each one of us saying. I didn’t have to encourage her because I already did before, and this time, I can’t lie to myself and make it seem like nothing’s really wrong. I can’t take it anymore.

          She and Eric have naturally gotten closer as well. See, how effective she is.

          But based on how I psycho her ties with Eric, I find it more on the ‘like’ side than on the ‘love’ side. I always notice something different between us which are far better than what one has with another. Or maybe I’m just into my illusions?

          Words can’t tell how bad I feel each time, especially when I notice again that she seems to be happier with Eric than with me. And this time, I resisted no tears. I let them fall freely from my eyes. S**t! Is this the way love hurts?

          And time to time, it seems like she’s coming back to me whenever she feels like she ‘hates’ Eric, and then come back to her ways with him whenever she feels like she ‘loves’ Eric. It hurts, especially when she keeps on telling me about the things that they have been doing which sounds happy. It’s like getting a big slap on my face. I feel as if I don’t have a place in her heart, when she has everything of me, and it’s like being torn to a million pieces every time. So, I have decided that this can’t go on. This has to stop.

          And I have to stop this stupidity by first letting everything go, by telling her about this.

          One night in February, we were in Bresse, but with awkward winds.

          “Umm, Bree… I don’t know how to start but… it’s now or never, okay?” I started, and she nods, but her eyes were in question.

          And I just stared right through her amber eyes, can’t find the right words to say.

          She took a pad and wrote.

          I thought you’re telling me something, Kris Daven. Tell me…

          And I still don’t know how to say it, so I just simply sang the song, Words Can’t Tell. But before that, I implied, “Please understand the lyrics.” That she nodded to.

          I sang it well, trying hard to sing with a good voice even if I know I sound terrible. Afterwards, she wrote in her pad…

          I understand the lyrics, Kris. It’s such a beautiful song.

          She then hugs me tight which was much of a surprise, and all my efforts were into fruition. It hurts to know that she is also numb not to feel it. What a MANHID! I simply let my tears fall behind her. But I failed to make it unnoticed as the tears went to her cloth that she felt it. She whispered, “What’s wrong, Kris Daven?

          I whispered back. “Nothing, Bree…”

          And I hugged her tighter. I don’t know why.

 

          I guess I won’t be able to let her know directly anymore. These days, which is near graduation, I just let her be happy with Eric. I guess they are really for each other, and I am just supposed to be a third wheel. I just came into Bree’s life to make a change, not to be her partner; I have to remind myself that.

          But one of my friends, Anna Lee, who doesn’t know that Bree’s the one I mean in my emotes and tags, really insists that I must tell *whoever this is* before it’s too late. She implied that I’ve got every chance every time of my life.

          And I believe that.

 

          Being a real man or a real boy means that he is not afraid to show tears when he is in pain, because he is courageous enough to express himself. This is what I learned because of you, Kris.

          Bree shows me the pad with a bright smile.

          “Oh, so you have learned from me after all.” I say with bitter edge in my voice.

          She writes in another pad again and shows it to me.

          I know something’s wrong. Tell me about it.

          What the hell. Just how numb is she? Doesn’t she know that she is that ‘something wrong’?

          And I jokingly implied. “What if it’s you?”

          She replies.

          Then let’s talk about it. Graduation is coming. We may not see each other afterwards for long. So I guess it would be better if we fix things out before it’s too late. I’ll help you.

          And reading this partially pains my heart and spices my eyes, I didn’t know why. She sounds just like how I did before.

          She hugs me then which was quite a surprise, and I hesitantly hug her back, but I pull away when I felt my heartbeat going crazy.

          “What’s wrong, Kris Daven?” she whispers.

          And I’m sorry, but I just can’t contain my emotions anymore. Tears just run from my eyes as I tell her, “It’s you, Bree. It’s you and me.”

          “Why? Tell me, I’d listen.” She whispers, and I wonder why I see the moist in her eyes and I see pain across her face.

          “I’ve been trying to tell you these before. But I just couldn’t, directly, so I composed a song, WORDS CAN’T TELL that I just sing if I feel like telling you because it is so hard, Bree. I even told you once to understand the lyrics.” I say. “But are you just as numb not to feel it, Bree?”

           I see something registering in her face, through her amber eyes, but I see no surprise. So I continue, still crying. “Are you just as numb not to even notice that I love you since long before?”

          I see her twitch in shock, and I also see her surprise.

          “Bree, don’t you even notice me? Words can’t tell how much you matter to me…”

          She was speechless, as always. But what’s surprising was… she hugs me again, real tight. I expect her to walk away and leave, but this is totally different, and for a while, I felt the beat of our hearts as one.

          I hug her back, but trying her best, she whispers in my ear. “I’m sorry if I have been making you suffer that much, Kris. I’m so sorry. I didn’t know I was that damaging.”

          “No. It’s okay. It’s just my fault I fell in love with you.” I say, and bitter tears fall from my eyes again.

          “Please don’t regret it, Kris.”

          “I won’t. I don’t. I never did.” I say. “Loving you is as hard as hell but as sweet as sugar and as good as heaven, Bree. Words can’t tell how much you really mean to me.”

          And I gently kiss her hair and her cheek.

 

          Graduation quickly comes, and all is well between me and Bree again, but we are not the same as before, as there are now awkward winds, awkward encounters, and some changes. It will take long before the old us would be back together.

          I’m having a hard time moving on when I don’t really want to let her go, especially now that there are some hints that she might be just in love with me as well. Or maybe that’s part of my illusions again? I don’t know.

          There are tears here, tears there, tears everywhere. Graduation, a happy yet sad chapter of our lives! After the ceremony, our class had a group hug which was heaven! My original friends also get to hug me one by one, boys and girls, and lastly, I won’t forget because this may be my last hug with her, I go to their seats which were far from ours and then she is looking for me too. When I get there, we hug tight that nobody seems to want to let each other go. And when I open my eyes behind her, I see the big boys smiling sarcastically at us. There are four of them.

I feel something wrong. Something wrong might happen. We still have unfinished business, after all.

 

          Night falls and Bree informed me through text message that we must see each other at Bresse. She even implies…

          It’s now or never, Kris Daven.

          I wonder what it is about.

          When I get there, about nine in the evening, I see no one there " nobody within the corners of the old town bridge.

          “Hahahahaha!” I heard someone’s laughter which is so familiar. It is one of the big boys!

          I look behind, and he’s there, Bree enclosed in his strong arms.

          “Bree!” I shout with exasperation. “Bree! Let her go, you son of a b***h!”

          But he just laughs. And Bree is having a hard time trying to shout to me, because she has problems in her throat. But I can read in her mouth that she is saying…

          Leave, Kris. Leave now!

          And when her eyes widen, I read her mouth again.

          Behind you!

          And when I turn behind, the three big boys catch me off guard. Jab! Punch! Kick!

          I crawl to the side of the bridge, bloody and weak. They have hit me on the delicate spots " on my stomach, on my chin, and on my spine.

          S**t! I quickly stand up despite the great pain then catch the two off guard as well, and they crash to the ground with a punch of mine. But the other one kicks me on the spine again that I crash to the cemented ground.

          “We really have unfinished business, Kris Daven.” Says the guy holding Bree.

          I glance at Bree. And seeing her in great distress, especially now that she is being asphyxiated, tears just fall from my eyes. I can see that she is breathing hard for her life. These guys are dangerous ones, after all.

          “Let… let her go!” I shout. “Let Bree go!”

          “No, Kris Daven.” Says the other big boy… “We have been giving you your great times together for long enough, but graduation day is our day!”

          “What are you planning to do with us?!” I demand despite my greatly weakened state.

          “You don’t have any right to question us.” Another big boy says and then steps hard on my back. “We can go as far as killing you both!” And he rubs his shoes against my back with more pressure and force that I exclaim in pain, “Awh!”

          I glance at Bree again, and then I look at the big boy holding her, pleading. “Kill me then, but let her go.”

          Her face is full of tears, and what I can see through her eyes are the fears.

          Tears rush from my eyes as well.

          “No, Kris Daven.” The big boy holding Bree says. “We don’t play fair.”

          He then goes to the edge of the bridge, still holding Bree. “Now you just have to choose. It’s either she drowns in the water below, or she dies of asphyxiation in my loving arms. Choose her destiny!”

          “No! Kill me instead!” I shout despite the pain. “Set her free! Let her go!”

          “No, Kris. You’re as good as dead.” He says. “And if she dies, you’d be as good as double dead! You hear that, you ugly, unwanted b***h?!”

          “Noooooo!” I shout, and he pushes Bree off the bridge. She falls and I hear the splash.

          I cry hard, and gathering all the force and energy I have, I stand up, push the two big boys off guard which manages to say, “oh, s**t!” before they are gone into bewilderness and also jump off the bridge to rescue Bree, even in this state.

          And before I lost sense everything, I heard the biggest and the loudest splash I have ever heard all my life.

 

          The sharp smell of dextrose and beeping sound of a certain machine wakes me up. When my eyes open up, I immediately look for Bree around. I know I’m in the hospital. At least, I’m rescued. But it would be so much for despair if Bree wasn’t. I am to blame.

          “Thank God you’ve woke up, Kris!” Mother, tensed, and excitedly hugs me when she sees my eyes open, as she was sleeping beside me in the hospital bed.

          “How long have we been here?” I ask in a very slow manner.

          “Ten days, Kris.” Mom says. “How are you, baby? Where do you feel pain? Should I call the doctor?”

          “No, mom.” I say. “How’s Bree?”

          And then she falls silent.

          “Mom, how’s Bree?!” I demand, raising my voice which pains my back and summons flowing tears on my eyes. “Where is she?!”

          “She’s in ICU, Kris.” She says and I wonder. “She’s in a comma.”

          “No! It can’t be! She just fell off the bridge!” I exclaim. “I am the one who "”

          “You should be thankful, Kris. At least, she’s still alive.” Mom assures which sounds like a reprimand. “About those big boys, those two who fell were also rescued, they were both alive. The other two were taken into prison and those two here in the hospital will join them once they will be released by the hospital.”

          It had been better if those two just simply died.

          “I didn’t know you’ve got lots of enemies in school, Kris. You were not telling me anything!” She reprimands me. “They’re too dangerous, don’t you know that?”

          I am just silent, tired to explain, then I say. “I want grapes, mom.”

          “Okay. I’ll get you some. I’ll be back.” She says then hurriedly leaves.

          As the door close, I look to my side, to my desk is a plastic bag containing things. I see the name BREE STANLEY printed on a sealing tape around it.

          I take it then I open it. And I see Bree’s folded paper pad. By the looks of it, I can tell that it was a new one though it was somehow wet as it was maybe in Bree’s pocket when she fell off the bridge.

          I open it.


Dear Kris Daven,

 

You have influenced me well and made me a better person. From the very start you never left my side, and I you even chose me over your old friends.

          I just want to tell you, through this, before everything’s too late, that I am thankful that you’ve came into my life. You’ve made a great difference into my very small life.

          I may have looked at other persons like Terrence and Eric, but you were always the one I have loved, not them. I just made myself believe that I deserved them. That’s why I think I loved them.

          Actually, I was having hints that you were actually having something with me, but I just let it be and chose to prove it by playing along and pretending as if I love other persons, but sometimes I can’t help myself but show you some signs that I love you too.

          Another thing is, I know what you REALLY meant when you were singing your composition, WORDS CAN’T TELL to me, but I just chose to act as if I didn’t know. And when you confirmed it right through me face-to-face, I can’t help myself but hug you because I know that my suspicions were right, and that I am so happy.

          I also want you to remember that I may hug other people, but I always imagine them to be you, and that when I embrace my pillows, I want them to be you.

          You are the only one who told me I’m beautiful and I’m needed, not wanted. That’s why I don’t regret loving you as well.

I’m sorry I didn’t have the chance to tell you directly that I have loved you from the start as well. You are far greater than I am. I don’t want to be a great distraction, as I am, to your life, Kris Daven. That’s how much I love you.

          Words can’t tell how much I love you and how much you matter to me, Kris Daven…

 

-Bree Stanley


Reading that greatly warms my painful heart and spices the corners of my eyes. Later onwards, tears just fall from those. I have both the feeling of happiness and sadness. I also have the feeling that if I lose Bree this time it would be final and forever. S**t! So, we have been in love with each other and just playing like fools! How bizarre " the twists and turns of fate.

 

          When I feel like going to Bree, I asked mom to take me to the ICU to see her. She agreed, and the doctor also does. But they put me in a wheelchair. I cannot move freely yet because my impact on the water was so hard that I was damaged physically, and luckily, not to the extent that my nerves were involved.

          I enter the ICU and when I get the chance, I went to Bree and gave her the embrace that I can manage. If I can move without pain then I would really hug her tight.

          I take her hand and hold it, filling the spaces between her fingers with mine. And as ever, her palm is still as cold as ice.

          Well, I just let it be, because I know that only my warmth can balance that coldness.

          I take my nap on her side, not breaking the connection between our hands. Whatever happens, I will never let her go. Never…

 

          I wake up, around three at dawn, when I feel Bree’s fingers twitching.

          “Bree? Wake up, Bree.” I say. “Wake up.”

          I didn’t know, that tears just simply fall from my eyes.

          She holds on to my hand tighter, and then she speaks to me as slowly as ever like a winter’s whisper. “Kris Daven, I must go…”

          “No, Bree. You’re going back to me " to us.” I say with exasperation.

          “No. I’ve had enough, Kris.” She says, crying. “I’ve had too much, actually.”

          “Don’t say that, Bree. Those bullies were gone. Everything’s going to be fine.” I say to convincingly. “We are going to make everything all right.”

          “I’m so tired of life.” She says again.

          “Don’t be. I’m here, Bree. I need you.” I say, feeling the heave on my chest, crying as well. “I need you, Bree.”

          “Kris, you have to let me go. I want to be free and happy.” She says again, still crying.

          “Your mother needs you. I need you, Bree. We need you.” I say, trembling. “Aren’t you happy with me " with us?”

          “Kris…” she gasps which sounds like a whisper. Her eyes slowly close, then her grip to my hand loosens and she lets out one last, “I love you.”

The jagged lines on the apparatus gradually turn to a straight line and sounded beep!

          “Bree… Bree! Bree!” I gasp. “Nurse! Help us, nurse! Doc!”

          And the door opens, three nurses and a doctor bringing some more apparatuses gets inside, and everything turns white…

 

          “What about us, Bree? Words can’t tell how much we need you, Bree Stanley.”

 

          We were on the balcony of their house, only us, celebrating a year that passed since that horror of our lives. Bree’s mama, paralyzed as ever, just finished her last spoon of oatmeal.

          “Is she coming home soon? I miss her, already.” She says.

          “She’s coming back, mama. She’s coming back for us. We need her, right?” I say, encouragingly.

          And her weak skin makes a curve that speaks of a smile. “Bree…”

          The door opens, and I have heard the most beautiful voice I have ever and always heard. “Mama, Kris Daven!”

          She then runs to us, and first gives her mama a big hug, then with still some awkward winds, Bree and I first stare through each other’s eyes before she pulls me over and we’re into a great embrace which turns to a very tight hug

          Yes, she survived. How she did? It’s a miracle. Anyway, what’s important is that she has been well and now she even got her voice! She even implied that she will not waste her second chance in life before she left. She is from Canada from her throat operation sponsored by mom and today is her arrival by which I and her mama have been waiting here in their old house for her return. It’s been two months since I last saw her, and it seems to be long enough for me not to miss her.

          “You’ve changed a lot.” I say.

          “I did.” She says, and with her amber eyes, she stares right through my brown eyes again. Then, she connects our hearts by her fist. “But this didn’t.”

          I smile then my hand finds hers, filling the spaces between her fingers with mine.




…THE END...



By the way, here is the themesong I composed for the story. . .


WORDS CAN'T TELL  (SONG)


VERSE1:

Please don't go, stay with me

I am asking you this things, because I love you

By my side, know you'd be

Never left behind and never all alone


BRIDGE:

Words can't tell how much you matter to me

Words can't tell how much you make me happy


VERSE2:

In my heart, you're always here

Don't forget that you do matter more than gold

Don't you say that you'd hate me

You don't know how much I'm longing for you everyday of my life

BRIDGE:

Words can't tell how much you matter to me

Words can't tell how much you make me happy

CHORUS:

I sing this song, but I know this is not enough

For you to know how much you really mean to me

'Cause words can't tell how limitless my love for you could be

Words can't tell how much you mean to me


VERSE3:

Here I am, swearing true

That my love for you is genuine and I need you

Don't forget your true value

For me you will be the one I love the most


BRIDGE:

Words can't tell how much you matter to me

Words can't tell how much you make me happy

CHORUS:

I sing this song, but I know this is not enough

For you to know how much you really mean to me

'Cause words can't tell how limitless my love for you could be

Words can't tell how much you mean to me


CODA:

Words can't tell how limitless my love for you could be
When you need my warmth I'll hold you tight and hug you


FILL-IN:

Stay with me, by my side

In my heart you always matter more than anything


CHORUS:

I sing this song, but I know this is not enough

For you to know how much you really mean to me

'Cause words can't tell how limitless my love for you could be

Words can't tell how much you mean to me


Words can't tell how much you mean to me

© 2014 Prime


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a very good story, though I don't like the ending. It was a bit too miraculous and happy. And also, you spelled "coma" like "comma." Some of the dialogue was a bit unrealistic, as well.
You used very good imagery, and I love the plot.
I just joined writer's cafe today, this is my first review!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Prime

10 Years Ago

oh, thank you so much for the review.

Actually, I was really out of my mind (I always.. read more
You have a great talent for story telling. I enjoyed this one greatly. You wove it like a tapestry building the emotion, tragedy, and love.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Prime

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much @Sue Hart
Sue Hart

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome.
I am stunned by your writing. All of your stories are very compelling, and based on what I've seen with many of them, you have the gift to make them come around full circle. Very impressive, and I can't put these stories down!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Prime

10 Years Ago

Haha =D Thank You so much @LostWritings.

I still have lots to post in here, some are ab.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 17, 2013
Last Updated on January 1, 2014
Tags: Words, Tell, Speak, Speech, Romance, Teen Fiction

Author

Prime
Prime

Sagay City, Region VI, Philippines



About
from Philippines ^_^ more..

Writing