It's Magic --- PART I - Chapter 10

It's Magic --- PART I - Chapter 10

A Chapter by Prime
"

Sweet brother and sister.

"

Chapter 10

 

        I go home early to clear out thoughts that horrify and scare me. Damn, just what did I get myself into? As I enter the house, mom sees through me that I have a problem, as she always does, but mostly I’m just being problematic with little and not too serious concerns.

        “What’s with the long face, Kate?” she asks me after I kiss her good afternoon.

        “Nothing, mom. I’m just tired.” I answer. I’m denial, I know! “I’ll go upstairs now, mom.”

        “Okay, sweetie… Rest it off.” and I proceed.

        I slept for almost four hours, so I wake up around nine in the evening, just in time Camille arrives from her university, which is in a city that requires an hour of travelling before you reach it. And now she has just gone to her own room.

        My mind seems to have cleared after I slept, so I can think freely. But not so, I’m not in peace. Well, for tonight, my dad will not be able to come home, because he has an overtime job, as he says over the phone.

        My head leans against the large clear window of my room, and I seem to still want to clear my thoughts. The moon shines brightly at the night sky; the stars are so many that what I do is like stargazing from inside my own room.

        I then remember a tip in a book-for-girls, “Once in a starry night, try tracing the stars and make a pattern to write the name of the special person from far away that you have in your heart. In that way, you may be able to reach him no matter how far he is.” And the thought makes me feel the cold resonation of the pendant against the skin on my chest.

        I hold it out, in a way that I really take it off my head. I hold it towards the sky, the half-moon-shaped golden pendant falling freely but held back by the brass gold necklace I have a grip on. Ron comes in my mind then which makes me smile upon remembering our short moments together back then. Well, who else will this pendant remind me?

        I see it glimmer under the moonlight and then I put it on my desk beside my bed. I see to it that the pendant is a bit thick, but I don’t mind it. As my hands rise, letting the lace loose, I remember my conversation with Camille on Saturday. In which she tells me I should think about my decision with Kevin and Ron. Well, I really don’t know, but right now, I think Ron is what I can freely hold onto, since someone wants me to stay away from Kevin.

        I blow from inside my mouth. Right now I have a quite unclear mind. Maybe I need something fresh… like fresh air!

        I pick the pendant, holding it as I slide the window to the left �" open, and I walk into my small terrace. Then the cool evening breeze blows fresh on my face. Then I start to connect the stars to form the name, “RON.” And in my mind, I have questions like: “Where are you now? When will you come back? Do you still remember me?”

        But the brass of the necklace is slippery that it drops, directly to the grass on the ground floor. Oh, no! The pendant! I can’t afford to lose it!

        I immediately rush back into my room, sliding the window back in place, locked, and I run through the stairs �" well, mom and Camille were maybe already in their room, since I think they have less to do this night. I slowly sneak out of the house, silently closing the door as I search for my pendant in the grass.

        “Oh, my goodness… You couldn’t be lost.” I say with exasperation.

        But later on, a gleam takes my eyes attention, and there it is, on the damp grass, reflecting moonlight with its metallic quality despite it being gold.

        I pick it up and wipe it with my pajamas then wear it on my head again, not behind my clothes, but before it this time. I don’t have to hide it anyway.

        The cool breeze that blows on my face makes me think about my abduction, and everything about it. Now that my mind seems to be freshened and clear a bit, questions infiltrate my mind. Should I mind it? Is this all true? Well for any instance, I should mind that I am not the only one at risk here but also the other people important to me as well. She may not have directly stated that everyone is in danger, but it goes on like that since she stated that “that incident” may happen again or worse… I don’t know what to do but I’m sure I’ll figure out soon enough. Right now, I will just flow with the situation. Yeah, that’s it. I’ll be passive before I take action.

        I stand; I don’t plan on coming back inside the house. I feel like spending the night outside the house, but not here. I look at myself. I wear a thick faded-blue sleeping blouse and white jogging pants. Yeah, this would do. Then I start to walk, to the center of Clarkson village maybe, where there is a small park. Well, I don’t want to spend the night in my room, since now that I have refreshed my mind, there is a chance that it would be “shaken up” again, and I don’t want that. I want a peaceful night with the fresh cool breeze.

        As I reach the small park, I see a boy, or is that… Kevin?

        He’s in a thick black jogging pants and he must be wearing a plain white t-shirt behind that jacket. He sits on one of the long benches, knees bent and his arms getting a hold on his legs, wrapped. He looks ahead, maybe not yet noticing me. He’s in a side-view.

        I slowly sneak towards the bench and sit right next to him. I prop myself and do the same position, in which my knees bend and my arms hug my legs then I lean my back against his. I feel the motion in his back. Maybe he turns to see who’s here.

        “Is that you, Kevin?” I ask, to reassure, and to start the conversation as well.

        “Yeah, it’s me, Kate.”

        “What are you doing here?”

        “I just want to spend some time outside the boarding house to clear my thoughts.”

        “Oh, why? Is something bothering you?” I ask while still fixated ahead in the darkness.

        “No, not really… I think I’m just not used to the noises in the boarding house,” he says. “How about you, Kate? What are you doing here?”

        “I just want to clear my thoughts, too. In fact, I’d like to sleep here…”

        “Oh, it’s the same case with me.” he says, and I… don’t get it.

        “What do you mean?” I ask.

        “I’d like to sleep here, too. Because the noise will go on until dawn…”

        “Oh,” is all I can say. Well, the thought makes me blush. “Why? What is there?”

        “There is a slumber party.” He says. And I laugh a little as I say, “I didn’t know that some boarding houses would be some venue for such parties.”

        “Oh, but now you know.” He says. “So, where will you sleep?”

        Well, I didn’t know where to, anyway. So I speak while I think. “On the opposite bench, maybe. Or under the tree right there…” and my finger points to the big tree on the side, illuminated by the park lanterns and the moon in the starry sky.

        “Let’s go there.” He says, and there’s motion signifying that we’re moving away.

        “Okay.” We stand up, and then we make our way walking towards the big tree in silence. As we reach there, we sit together, our backs against the trunk of the tree, shoulders leaning on each other. Silence is what takes over us.

        Later on, his head falls on my shoulders. I shrug a little.

        “Do you mind?” he asks.

        “No, not really.” I say, and then I also lean my head against his.

        It’s a long while of silence in the darkness, but later on, he starts, “You know, I really don’t like being compared…”

        “Oh, why? Are you being compared?” I ask, to fill words in.

        “Yeah, somehow…” he answers. “I’m being compared to the person that is not me.”

        “Hmm… Go on, I’d listen.” I say encouragingly, our heads against each other.

        “They always say that I’m the worse. I’m the lesser, and whatever else that are obviously not in my favor.” He says, and there’s edge of pain in his voice. “They don’t tell it directly, but it’s clearly obvious that what they want to tell me is that, I’m useless.”

        At the moment, I hesitate. I don’t know what to do, or what to say. I’m not good at this.

        Yet the words just fly from my mouth after a while. “But you know that what they are saying is not true, right?”

        “Y-Yeah…” he replies.

        “You’re special, Kevin.” I say again, but with encouragement in my voice. “Though in another way which is obviously not the specialty of whom you’re compared to.”

        “But �"” he tries to contradict, but something’s maybe with me that I don’t let him.

        “Well if you ask me, I’d say that you’re much better than whoever they compare you to.” My right hand then automatically finds his left hand and it goes on top of his, filling the spaces between his fingers with mine. I can feel the motion inside my chest again, but I let it be. If Kevin can comfort me, I also can, even just in this way. “And that’s true.” I add.

        His fingers also curve, locking my fingers on his hand, and he whispers, “thank you.”

        Then silence takes over us again, our hands intertwined by our fingers, our heads against each other, with his head on my shoulder. He’s maybe sleeping by now, because there has been very little motion in compared to a while ago.

        The cool evening breeze blows through my clothes and sends me shivers as it makes me chill. The motion is maybe what wakes Kevin up, that he immediately swings his head from my shoulder and looks at me.

        “You’re cold.” He says, then the way our hand holds breaks as he takes off his jacket and put it around me. “Wear that, so you won’t chill.” Then he fixes his jacket into place, the sleeves not really worn by me, just to cover me with warmth.

        “Thank you, Kevin.” I say with a smile.

        Then he pushes something on my chest. I felt cold. Oh, it’s my pendant!

        “The metal’s cold, it’s a good thing that you put it before your clothes.” Then he embraces me, making me feel the warmth of his arms and he leans against the trunk of the tree again.

        I look at him, and he smiles. I also smile. That’s so sweet of you, Kevin… I say in my mind.

        Then later, his arms find each other as his hands rub his shoulders. He’s chilling as well.

        “I think, you’re the one who’s cold, Kevin.” I say. “You should wear this.” I say, insisting the jacket back, but he refuses.

        “No, you’re the lady. I’m the gentleman. I should always put your sake before me.” Then he smiles sweetly at me again.

        “That’s so thoughtful of you, Kevin.” I say, smiling. “Come over here.”

        I make room on my lap as he moves closer to me.

        “I’ll keep you warm.” I say.

        “Oh, thank you, Kate.” He says. It’s maybe the instincts that make him lay his head on my lap. “That’s also thoughtful of you.” He says.

        My eyes are align with his, my nose align with his forehead and vice versa. Then I stroke the strands of his brown hair gently. His eyes then close. It makes me think, he sleeps and I’m his guard. Does he trust me fully?

        We are just like that in silence for a while, his eyes are still closed, and I’m still stroking his hair. When I feel sleepiness, I silently yawn and I wrap my arms on his shoulder, my hands over his neck down to his chest.

        With his sleepy-looking eyes still closed, I am surprised when his right hand reaches for one of mine and locks it together, on his chest.

        “You make me perfectly safe, Kate” he says, eyes still closed. And I blush at the thought. “Just like most big sister does with their small brother…”

        It’s cute of him to say things like that. It’s a bit childish, but I think that’s what he has that ‘catches’ me.

        I smile, trying to ride on with him as I say, “Yes, Kevin… You’re like my little brother, and I’m your big sister.”

        “Yeah. We’re like brothers and sisters.” He adds. “And siblings do love each other right?”

        I’m surprised, and I’m in a state of shock with what he said. My heartbeat races again. And my jaw drops a little open.

        “Silence means yes.” He says, then I see him smile, his eyes still closed.

        I don’t know what to do at this point. My reaction is totally unexpected.

        “That makes me know that you love me, and you know that I love you, too.”

        My heartbeat… it is not just a race; it’s a speedy career now! But I like it, you know. It’s like a hidden devil’s pleasure.

        “K-Kevin, do you know what you’re saying?” I ask, surprised.

        “Yes, Kate. I know what I’m saying. I know that we both love each other.” He says, his eyes open, and he it’s no time to deny anything right now. He sees the shock and surprise through my face, but he adds, “Because we’re siblings right?” which is much to my relief. God, I thought he is going serious!

        I nod as my answer and fill it up with a smile.

        Then thoughts about the indirect threats by a phantom stranger come into my mind, which horrifies me, but this night is so special to think about those thoughts; too special to be ruined by such distractions. Well, whether they like it or not, they have no choice. Even just for tonight, I’ll sweep away everything about those indirect threats. I will make it seem like it never happens nor it scares me. Well, I don’t think that they can keep track of me until the evening, until this time, or if ever they do, let them be! They can’t stop me, anyway. If they are that foolish enough to reveal themselves tonight, then it’s trouble. But no… there are other alternatives…

        My thoughts start to cloud my mind again, but whatever happens, I won’t let it. Even just for tonight…

        “Kate, can you sing for me to sleep?” Kevin takes me back to my senses. What? He’s asking me to sing for him to sleep? Like �" “Please?”

        I just realize that his eyes are open, pleading, and I can see my own reflection through those hazel eyes. Well, how can I resist such magical eyes?

        “O-okay…” I say as I think of a song to sing for him, a lullaby maybe? Well, I think the song, “By Your Side” by Faber Drive will do.

        I pull him closer as my arms are still wrapped around his head, gently squeeze his hand which is on mine, and I start to sing with a fast heartbeat.

 

        I’ll turn off the lights and let you sleep

          Just close your eyes relax and breathe ‘em slowly, now don’t feel lonely ‘cause

 

        “You didn’t tell me that you have such a beautiful voice, Kate.” He says, which makes me stop from singing. “You even sang my favorite lullaby…” and I’m surprised with that.

        “Well, it’s one of my favorite songs!” I tell him.

        “Obviously. Now go on… I’d like to hear more of your voice, Kate.” Then he smiles despite his closed eyes, and I also smile as I look above the starry sky, my back still leaned on the trunk while I continue singing…

 

          I’ll be right here by your side, if you should awake into the night

          Keep dreamin’ ‘cause I’ll be keepin’ your

 

          Heart in mine (Don’t you know I’ll always be near?)

 

        “K-Kevin… You’re voice…” I say after he sang with me. (He sings those encased in “()”)

        “Why? Is there something wrong with singing along?” he asks me.

        “No, not really. But your voice… it’s… magical!” I say. But he replies with silence, so I sing again… I know that he’d sing along anyway. Come on, it’s his favorite lullaby!

 

          Even in the hardest times (Don’t you know I’m always right here?)

          When you’re feeling lost, don’t give up because it’s all right

          When you close your eyes, (I’m by your side)

 

          Remember the days when we would drive

          Into the night we’d watch the skies of summer so full of colors and

          Remember the days when we fun roll

          Upon the beach we touch our toes on sands and my hand in yours and your

 

          Heart in mine (Don’t you know I’ll always be near?)

          Even in the hardest times (Don’t you know I’m always right here?)

          When you’re feeling lost, don’t give up because it’s all right

          When you close your eyes, (I’m by your side)

          Lean tight on my back and stare up on the skies

          We were laughing so how we had tears in our eyes?

          I’ll jump just before us, our worries behind

          (Just you and I)

 

          “Kate, are you crying?” Kevin asks me, putting a halt on the song we sing. Well, my hand immediately reaches for my cheeks, wet by a stream of tears. Well, he’s looking at me and I’m also looking at him. We’re eye-to-eye.

        “The song’s pretty touching, you know.” I lie; well, I really don’t know the reason why tears just stream out of my eyes, silently without even me feeling it. Looking at Kevin, I think a tear drops on his cheek which awakens him.

        “Oh, is that so?” he asks.

        “Yeah… added that your voice was magical, Kevin.” I say to compliment him. Well, it’s true. Not only his eyes are mesmerizing, but also his magical voice!

        “No, yours is.” He says.

        “Ours are.” I say in confirmation, and we both laugh a little. But the smile never fades, so I sing again…

 

          I’ll turn off the lights and let you sleep

          (Just close your eyes relax and dream)

 

          And keep your heart in mine, (even in the hardest times)

          When you’re feeling lost, don’t give up because it’s all right, it’s all right

          (When you’re feeling lost, don’t give up because it’s all right)

 

          I see his eyes open, and then I look at him eye-to-eye before we both deliver the following line in a perfect duet which seems to close us together in a barrier of magic.

 

        When you close your eyes, I’m by your side

 

          “You have the unnatural talent with your voice, Kate.” He says which inspires me as we finish singing together, which feels very good, even though I can’t stop my heart from off-going.

        “You, too, Kevin.” I say. “Goodnight. Sweet dreams, Kevin.”

        “Goodnight. Sweet dreams, too, Kate.” He says in return while he yawns. “Sleep tight.”

        “I will.” Then as his eyes close, I plant him a light kiss on his forehead.

        “Would you hold me close, Kate? Your arms make me feel better than safety.”

        Without hesitation, I pull him closer, my arms wrapped around him. I felt magic.



© 2013 Prime


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on December 27, 2013
Last Updated on December 27, 2013


Author

Prime
Prime

Sagay City, Region VI, Philippines



About
from Philippines ^_^ more..

Writing