A Modest Proposal

A Modest Proposal

A Story by Kyro
"

English assignment.

"

 

            They say that the laws are made to be broken.  Well if that is true, what then, is the point of making them in the first place?  Laws are not made to be broken--no.  Laws are made to set the line.  The thin line between law-abiding citizen, and criminal.  In the U.S. around 1.5 million crimes are committed each year.  This daunting number has grown too large.  Crime is the seed of evil, and must be wiped from existence completely.

            In order to perform such a worthy and noble cause, I propose the following.  The line that is drawn when a new law is made should be absolute and all-powerful.  That is, these lines should be the deciding factor between life and death.  If every man and woman were held responsible to stay on the right side of the line, the issue would be abolished and this country would be safer.  If a law is broken, the criminal must thereafter be utterly destroyed, on the spot, without excuse.  First, this solution would greatly increase this nation’s wealth, as much of our time and money are wasted on such criminals.  Also, the criminals’ deaths would greatly lessen the population, providing the rest of us law-abiding citizens with new living space.  This would greatly reduce crime over time and, in doing so; erase criminality from the heart of this country.  No one would ever have to live in fear of a robbery, or being raped, or being held at gunpoint.  These are the unneccessaries that must be taken care of decisively and swiftly.

            Therefore, I cannot see any valid arguments to reason against my proposal for universal justice.  My plan to make America a better place will spread like a plague to the other provinces of the world until criminality has been stopped entirely because the criminals will no longer exist.  With these advantages in mind, let no man speak to me of a fair and speedy trial, which only prolongs the death of evil: of the serving time in jail, which ultimately leads to bitterness and nourishes that same evil: of having a “second chance” with which to commit more and more acts of crime: lastly, of the long-lost hope that one day man will realize his wrongdoings and abstain from them forevermore.  They are not nearly as enticing as the solution that I have proposed, which will solve a great number of our issues today.

© 2008 Kyro


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on May 28, 2008

Author

Kyro
Kyro

Pleasanton, CA



About
I'm a junior in high school that loves to write. I write mostly fiction and love the feeling that comes with creating something unique. I play sports mainly football and volleyball. more..

Writing
The Flawed Dream The Flawed Dream

A Story by Kyro