The Bridge

The Bridge

A Story by George Coombs
"

Please read with care

"

The Bridge

John slowly returned to the village. The path through the surrounding forest was fresh with recently fallen rain. Leaves wore raindrops like glistening jewels and blades of grass quietly glowed in the early evening light. Mother was nearing the end of her life. The wise one had visited; the broken bridge near the village only seemed broken. In reality there was no seperation.

Mother's illness had been long and difficult. John, guided by the wise one tended her with skill and devotion yet, the time was coming. Mother was resting now, as she often did in the afternoon, John needed time and space.

Slowly and quietly he walked on. Occasionally he glanced up at the clear blue sky. Tall trees arched above him adorning the path with patches of light as the sun shone through their branches. Someone was approaching; it was the wise one.

Hello dear friend” John called out “I have just come from the bridge; it seemed broken to me with no connection to the other side.”

The wise one smiled; kindness shone through his aged eyes and a breeze passed through his long grey hair. Around him he wore a cloak of deep blue

That bridge is special my son” the wise one replied

How's mother?”

They sat down together

My son, she has passed on”

John burst into tears. The wise one put a comforting arm around him.

My son, your care has been known by angels in the highest heaven. You have been a shining precious jewel in the village now, we must return to the bridge.”

They arose and walked together. Soon they were near the bridge, John gasped in quiet astonishment. The bridge was whole, not broken anywhere at all. John's mother was there, she was calm and peacefully radiant.

Yes” said the wise one “The bridge is the bridge to the other side, there is change, there is being alive differently, there is no separation which some call death.”

That is true” said John's mother “I go now yet will return often, I and all who love you will be near, often and John, when your time comes I will be here waiting for you.

The lady went across the bridge. John could just discern others waiting for you.

We must go now John” said the wise one “This forst is known as the forest of learning, we both have much to find”

Slowly, they walked away.


George Coombs (420 words)



© 2017 George Coombs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The imagery is really nice here, particularly: "Leaves wore raindrops like glistening jewels and blades of grass quietly glowed in the early evening light."

A narrative is established and we're left wondering who the wise one really is and what is to be learned.

There's a little redundant language, "tall trees arched" "clear blue sky" and a typo with "forst" but I'm nitpicking. Lovely story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou for your helpful review



Reviews

The imagery is really nice here, particularly: "Leaves wore raindrops like glistening jewels and blades of grass quietly glowed in the early evening light."

A narrative is established and we're left wondering who the wise one really is and what is to be learned.

There's a little redundant language, "tall trees arched" "clear blue sky" and a typo with "forst" but I'm nitpicking. Lovely story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou for your helpful review

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 18, 2017
Last Updated on May 18, 2017
Tags: George, coombs

Author

George Coombs
George Coombs

Brighton and Hove, Southern, United Kingdom



About
I am a retired lecturer from Hove in Southrn England. I write poetry, stories, essays and also draw and paint more..

Writing