Free At Last

Free At Last

A Story by George Coombs
"

Please Read Carefully

"

The Walk

Walking has always been a major love in his life. The more so as autumn merged into winter; the park was carpeted with frail fallen leaves as birds and other life forms waged the daily struggle to survive. It was not easy. Walking led to deep thought.

Naked trees yearned upward. Even within vulnerability and frailty was the knowledge that he must go on. Gulls called, he looked up as he often did. Now, it was all memories.

The killing was a memory. Nobody had wanted to know how he felt; the pain of violation by events beyond his control. There was the hurt of final betrayal yet, killing the one who betrayed him achieved no real freedom.

Earlier the chaplain had been; he would come again. They had prayed the prayer left by Jesus “Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.” Yet, it was beyond him, mercy was his resting place and abiding hope. Someone spoke his name and said �"

It’s time”

The Chaplain was beside him, this was the final walk. Entering the shed he climbed the gallows stairs. While waiting he spoke �"

I have no fear of death. I fear only a life where none wish to see clearly. A life where expression of rage and pain is stifled. A life where hurt and killing are as coldly premeditated as my death is now. I have never been brutalized as you who now kill me are. Killing me is wrong, the rage and pain inflicted on me are wrong…even now may forgiveness come where it is needed.”

Distantly a Gull cried

I’m ready”

The Chaplain read, “Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow…”

Darkness, the rope…

Thou art with me”

The drop; motionless in space

Thy rod and staff comfort me”

The chaplain closed his book.

George Coombs (310 words)



© 2017 George Coombs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whoa-ho! I was all meanderin' down a forest path feelin' all Thoreau-ish and Ka-pow! Dead man walkin'! Very nicely done. I love dark surprises, and especially when it don't take long to get there.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou Carol

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Added on June 23, 2017
Last Updated on June 23, 2017

Author

George Coombs
George Coombs

Brighton and Hove, Southern, United Kingdom



About
I am a retired lecturer from Hove in Southrn England. I write poetry, stories, essays and also draw and paint more..

Writing